RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Music Genres

Rep:
Level 88
Your greatest flaw is that you have a soul.
Music is pretty hard to judge if you don't give any specifics. Suppose you have two entries, one is Melodic Hard Trance and the other is Orchestral Gamesoundtrack. You can't compare the two. In no possible way. These two are simply two different routes in music art and what may be amazing in orcgsound does not exist in MHT that has its own amaizing elemenets incomparable with Orchgsound. Also, a person judging such open contest is supposed to know and understand entire music developement and lore.

In my opinion, you should either or both of the two things:

Make a rule that you can use only orchestra (refference: complete midi set without synth and electro drums) and/or split the entries into basic: Core Electronica/Orchestral Compositions/Soundscape, where Core Electronica counds for Trance, Techno, Goa, House, IDM, Nu Skul Beats, Rap Beat, DnB, etc, Orchestral Compositions is obvious, and Soundscape counts for experimental, soundscape, ambiental, envrionmental symphonic. I excluded genres regarding guitars (metal/rock/country...) because I'm not sure how many will go for it...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:31:16 AM by Decadent Sympozium »

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Music is pretty hard to judge if you don't give any specifics. Suppose you have two entries, one is Melodic Hard Trance and the other is Orchestral Gamesoundtrack. You can't compare the two. In no possible way. These two are simply two different routes in music art and what may be amazing in orcgsound does not exist in MHT that has its own amaizing elemenets incomparable with Orchgsound. Also, a person judging such open contest is supposed to know and understand entire music developement and lore.

Make a rule that you can use only orchestra (refference: complete midi set without synth and electro drums) and/or split the entries into basic: Core Electronica/Orchestral Compositions/Soundscape, where Core Electronica counds for Trance, Techno, Goa, House, IDM, Nu Skul Beats, Rap Beat, DnB, etc, Orchestral Compositions is obvious, and Soundscape counts for experimental, soundscape, ambiental, envrionmental symphonic. I excluded genres regarding guitars (metal/rock/country...) because I'm not sure how many will go for it...
Okay, so when I post my experimental rock song with the orchestral section and the synth solo, you can go ahead and enter me into all three of those categories.

Oh wait, I already released that song two weeks ago.

Point is, I hate genres because I don't fit into them, and I can't be the only one.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 03:00:19 PM by arlenreyb »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 88

Okay, so when I post my experimental rock song with the orchestral section and the synth solo, you can go ahead and enter me into all three of those categories.

Oh wait, I already released that song two weeks ago.

Point is, I hate genres because I don't fit into them, and I can't be the only one.

Actually you'd be in that fourth section I just mentioned. Just because you have a synth solo doesn't mean you belong to electronics nor orchestra makes you belong to neo-classical. You're the fourth section, basically. What overalls the total composition makes the genre count.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I'm gonna have to be on arlen's side here. Way to try tro hard at genre'ing.

I have my mainstream music in just 4 folders, rock, pop, dance, other =/

I sort of laugh at people who go through thousands of genres, like alt rock, nu metal, rap metal, black metal, death metal, techno rock, prog rock, post rock, etc =/

Of course, that said, the best genre on the planet is quite clearly FOLKTRONICA <3
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
dude shut up post prepunk rock fusion is the best.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I am totally digging Anarcho-Punk-Crust right now

Rep:
Level 96
Too trendy for me.

Rep:
Level 88
Saying which genre is the best is pretty much lame. Saying which genre is best to you, on the other hand, doesn't make you look primitive...

Basic genering is quite easy, nevermind your post-rock-funk-electro-classical-ska-rap-ambient-whatsoever-mixing.

Let me quote:

when I post my experimental rock song with the orchestral section and the synth solo

You said it yourself.

Suppose this is one song. Saying something is rock and pop at the same time is quite impossible, unless it's a rock for the widest masses, what makes it sound almost like pop, if it wasn't for the guitars and drums. Making a rock/pop song and putting it under "dance" is another impossible thing, unless you have problems with understanding how drums and beat work then you may do something that can barely be heard. Dance is a strict genre and cannot interact with rock in anykind of way because then it would not be dance. What you can, however, is generally say it has electronical elements, or even elements of symphonic electronica if you deal with instruments,  and so we reach the last important word -> Other, what basically means something that is not defined so far, and therefore, you go under Other. Good work, perhaps one day your music will have its own genre. If I misunderstood your sentence, and you say each of your four songs go under different folder, than all I can say is: this has nothing to do with the current issue of where the song goes. Nonetheless, if you plan on going pro with 4 songs of different genre, you won't get far.

What, generally, puts us down to four-five, perhaps six "folders", regardless of the combining elements.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
^ See, that is what I view of fail.

I don't waste my time going over the top genre'ing my stuff, or feel like I have to define everything. I just chuck my music in whichever folder. =/
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Saying which genre is the best is pretty much lame. Saying which genre is best to you, on the other hand, doesn't make you look primitive...

Basic genering is quite easy, nevermind your post-rock-funk-electro-classical-ska-rap-ambient-whatsoever-mixing.

Let me quote:

when I post my experimental rock song with the orchestral section and the synth solo

You said it yourself.

Suppose this is one song. Saying something is rock and pop at the same time is quite impossible, unless it's a rock for the widest masses, what makes it sound almost like pop, if it wasn't for the guitars and drums. Making a rock/pop song and putting it under "dance" is another impossible thing, unless you have problems with understanding how drums and beat work then you may do something that can barely be heard. Dance is a strict genre and cannot interact with rock in anykind of way because then it would not be dance. What you can, however, is generally say it has electronical elements, or even elements of symphonic electronica if you deal with instruments,  and so we reach the last important word -> Other, what basically means something that is not defined so far, and therefore, you go under Other. Good work, perhaps one day your music will have its own genre. If I misunderstood your sentence, and you say each of your four songs go under different folder, than all I can say is: this has nothing to do with the current issue of where the song goes. Nonetheless, if you plan on going pro with 4 songs of different genre, you won't get far.

What, generally, puts us down to four-five, perhaps six "folders", regardless of the combining elements.

You take labelling music way too seriously. o_O

Plus, I think you missed out on the sarcasm up above.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 88

Let me quote:

You said it yourself.

You take labelling music way too seriously. o_O

Plus, I think you missed out on the sarcasm up above.

I agree on the second, and half way on the first.  ;)

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Dance is a strict genre and cannot interact with rock in anykind of way because then it would not be dance.

You're a massive retard.

Rep:
Level 96
lol, this is a great thread.

Rep:
Level 88
Dance is a strict genre and cannot interact with rock in anykind of way because then it would not be dance.

You're a massive retard.

So are you then. I'm in music production and business for 7 years now, I know what I'm talking about and from what I see - you don't.

Rep:
Level 96
Someone check this guy's IP. My Naphe senses are tingling.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>

You're a massive retard.

So are you then. I'm in music production and business for 7 years now, I know what I'm talking about and from what I see - you don't.

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. I suggest you quit your job: the music industry doesn't need any more morons.

Rep:
Level 102
Lol, very dynamic, as in, pretty much unique for every time he logs on.

Rather than try to argue with him, I'm just going to ignore it.
bringing sexy back

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Decadent is from Croatia. (-_-) He's quite right about what he said. There are MANY subgenres and most times it is hard to put songs into one, so we just put them into two or more. I have a folder called Techno and there is everything that makes utz-utz-utz-utz regardless if it's Progressive Trance, Goa Trance, Plazmatekk, Trance, Techno, Hard Trance, Dance (yeah, there actually ARE a few good Dance songs), Rave (yes, I even have a couple of Rave songs...) or whatever.

AND YOU'RE ALL NOT COOL BECAUSE YOU DON'T LISTEN TO TRANCE!!11!!! :V

(@Decadent: :V is a sarcasm smiley. ;))

EDIT: Ignore Zypher.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 88

You're a massive retard.

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. I suggest you quit your job: the music industry doesn't need any more morons.

I suggest you stop talking bullshit. If you however do continue, you might as well try to explain the same.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
I suggest you stop talking bullshit. If you however do continue, you might as well try to explain the same.

You're the one that said dance can't interact with rock, which is probably the worst piece of bullshit I've heard in a long time. Quit being a stupid genre nazi and just listen to music as music.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
He didn't say Dance can't interact with Rock, he said if you make a Rock song you can't call it Dance.
And he said if you would add Rock elements into a Dance song, you can't call it Dance anymore as it isn't Dance anymore.
Read his post again closely, Zypher.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
And I called him an idiot for worrying about that kind of shit. I've written sketches that were, for the most part, equal parts dance and rock, and instead of stressing over putting them in a genre like he would, I'm just simply slapping a song name on it and listening to it. I honestly believe genres were one of the worst things to happen to music because now people feel like they have to conform to the genre they're writing, instead of just simply writing.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Genres are a bad idea you say? Do you want to say RPG are the same as FPS-es? I don't think so.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
They ARE the same though. They're both video games.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Dance and Rock are music. So, where's the problem? Do you hear an guitar in Rock? Or do you play RPG with a gun and from the 1st person perspective?
Visit our website.