RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
In need of some advice..

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
~Genma
I've just completed downloading both 2003 and XP rpgMakers, and i must say im stuck at a bit of an impass. I just cant seem to figure out which version to use! Now while this might seem to have an obvious answer, hear me out: 2003, while harder to use and not nearly as polished, has (in my opinion) a MUCH better battle system. As a boy who thinks of himself mostly as an artist and animator, the 2003 battle system really gives a better opportunity to create much more dynamic battle scenes and events. (and as we all know, the player spends most of their time in battle) However, it is a bit more difficult to manage. XP on the other hand, is a breeze to use and has many more out of battle options. So my first question would be, in your own opinions and experience, which is a better program to utilize? Does the dynamic battle system of 03 outweigh the ease of use and options of XP? Also (and heres the reason why this is in tutorials) is there any way to overlay animations (such as summon cinemas and special battler animations, i.e the players character readying his sword before launching an attack) over the battle windows? Or to import the battle system of 03 into XP? Any help or advice would rock!
Thanks in advance!
-Django
"What a terible night to have a curse..."

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Through use of scripts, you can 100% emulate the 2003 battle system in XP. XP is by far the way to go. If you like, I can upload an example.

~Genma
That would be excellent! I'd be in your debt!  ;8 Would these scripts affect how the system is edited as well, or would that is that all handeld through scripting? Thank you very much for all of your help, by the way! Not just for me, but for all of us beginners!

Rep:
Level 96
It's actually a project I'm working on. Given, I removed a lot, not only to shrink the filesize, but to protect certain aspects of the game as well. Please keep in mind this is in it's very, very early stages.

Scripts are very easy to use, all you have to know how to do is copy and paste. Almost 100% of the time, directions will be found at the top of a given script. This one uses charsets as battlers.

I'll edit this post when it's done uploading.

EDIT: 92.37 MB, should take a little over a half hour.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 07:22:00 AM by arrowone »

~Genma
Awesome! Hmm...char sets as battlers, huh? I wonder then if animating special moves and skill use would still be plausible? For instance, the standard "jumps over, unleashes-all-kinds-of-cool-looking-holy-hell-that-most-likely-misses, jumps back to party" animation? And by the way, whats the name of the project your working on? Any media or news releases on it? Given your general (and seemingly omnipotent hahah) knowledge of the Maker programs, i'm definetly looking out for it!

Rep:
Level 96
lol!

Um, there's a topic in the new projects section, it's title MMX RTP. I'm a spriter, I'm using this to practice for a future career. In addition to that,  hope it will eventually benefit the Rm and Megaman Communities in general. *crosses fingers*

EDIT: 11 minutes to go I think.

EDIT: And yes, animations like that are totally possible.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 07:30:46 AM by arrowone »

~Genma
Effing awesome. XD Oh, and i took a look at your MMX progress, looks like its got the potential to be great! I'm really excited to find out what mythryl will be~
Also, if you need any help what so ever doing character design, edits, or animations, just give me a ring, and im there. Character design and kickass battle animation are my specialties, and ive played and loved nearly all of the MM, MMX, and MMZ games (yay Bass and Zero!) so i know the way things are supposed to "feel"
heres an old costume design/edit I did for a Bass fan comic i illustrated: (keep in mind this picture is from about 2/3 years ago...i can blow this AWAY now. hahaa)

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/38188218/?qo=52&q=by%3Adjango-red&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps

if you click on the view gallery button, you can see my completely original character design for a MMZ inspired game in there too. ^_^ *runs off to open mmx rtp file*

thanks again!

Rep:
Level 96
DUDE. Amazing artwork. I actually could use face sets for this thing, if you are interested. For now though, I'm going to bed. Catch ya later man.

~Genma
Okay, just got done playing that. That was bad ASS. i see that its still early in development, but its looking good. One thing though? The hp meter above their heads ticks off damage waaaaaay too slow, is that still being worked on? And does the size of your characters while walking directly affect their size while in battle? Is it possible to make a completely different "move set", JUST for use in battle? Anyways, good work-Cant wait!

~Genma
DUDE. Amazing artwork. I actually could use face sets for this thing, if you are interested. For now though, I'm going to bed. Catch ya later man.

Just tell what ya need, and its done. haha! Alright, night dude!

EDIT: Also, LOVE the way you have their faces pop up when they speak. How did you do that?!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 08:04:45 AM by Django_red »

Rep:
Level 96
I used Slipknot's advanced message system- a script. Feel free to take anything from there, it's going to be available to the public eventually anyhow. There is a way to do the character sets thing for enemies, but not for the player. You have to change the set just before a battle for it to look right. If you notice, before each battle with any of the enemies (minus the little spiders, forgot to fix them) the character set changes.

~Genma
I used Slipknot's advanced message system- a script. Feel free to take anything from there, it's going to be available to the public eventually anyhow. There is a way to do the character sets thing for enemies, but not for the player. You have to change the set just before a battle for it to look right. If you notice, before each battle with any of the enemies (minus the little spiders, forgot to fix them) the character set changes.

Groovy. Any clues as to where i could find the ported 03 battle system script, and the S.A. Messege system? Also, What faces do you need drawn?

Rep:
Level 96
Well, if you could just take the faces in there all ready and make them in one general style, that would be great. Please keep them the same size though. For the scripts, just copy them out of my project. Open the scripts database from the tool bar, scroll down, find mine, click it. Then, click into the larger tex box, press ctrl + A, then ctrl + C. Go to your project, open the database again, click main, tap the insert key. Click into the big box, tap ctrl + v. Name it something you like in the small box and it's done!

~Genma
Hmm...is there a tutorail or page dedicated for either of these scripts? I've got them running in my game now, but havent the slightest idea how to make them work...for instance, the AMS: now when i talk to people, i just get a blank box, no text. Aaaand i cant quite figure out how to change the battle system around. (like moving the menu and changing the font...) Where did YOU find them? perhaps i can find out what i need by digging there. ^_^.

Rep:
Level 96
Well, I found them here, actually. Check the section.

There is an easy fix for the font problem. Make a new script, and insert this:

Font.default_name = "Tahoma"

Tahoma can be whatever you want.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I didn't read this thread but 2K3 is better