RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Ok, so this is driving me nuts.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award

I'm starting to think it actually is just a trick question and there's no answer.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 91
C calls out because D didn't he knows B is white but if he was a white D would call out so he has to be black because if he was white D would call out.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
D calls out, because d can see c,b's hats and knows its a pattern
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Blackdragon is right. If D doesn't call out, C knows that he and B can't be both white. If they were white, D would call out that he is black. And since C knows that B is white, he can only be black himself. You could have easily give A a white hat and D a black one, the solution would be the same.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 91
Kinda easy.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
SILVERLINE, WE WANT MOAR!
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
C calls out because D didn't he knows B is white but if he was a white D would call out so he has to be black because if he was white D would call out.

I agree with this, not that I ever would have thought of it on my own.

The pattern is white black white, B C D.  D can see C and B. If C and B were both white, he would have called the one on the other side of the wall Black, as there are two of each color. BUT, he didn't, as there was one black and one white. So, C can only assume that he has a different hat color than B. This works just fine except for one thing:

They can't see D. So, they are left with just as much a chance of survival as they started with.

Nouman had a good idea also- a pattern. BUT, their captor is threatening to shoot them if they call out an incorrect answer, so the supposed pattern may have been conceived as a trick, meaning the person who called out couldn't have been 100% sure.

EDIT: And YES, I agree with Blizzard, this is fun! Where did you find this stuff?

EDIT2: OH WAIT THAT DOES SOLVE IT! It doesn't ask WHAT they call out, just WHO and why they are certain, lol!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 07:15:14 PM by arrowone »

Rep:
Level 91
Hey it's a Latteral thinking puzzle you have to think outside box

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
It's usually easy if in a puzzle are not many "elements" to be considered. Here were only 4 elements.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
LOL oh shit, solution'd
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
C calls out because he sees the other two are white and automatically knows his is black. I figured that out in about 10 seconds, I don't see what was so hard about it =/

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
C calls out because he sees the other two are white and automatically knows his is black. I figured that out in about 10 seconds, I don't see what was so hard about it =/

are you serious? C cant turn around guys!!!!!! he can only see the hat color of B...thats it!

Rep:
Level 102
C does know his colour, though not how zypher said, yeah.

[edit] LOL nevermind, thought he meant something else.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 09:30:50 PM by Silverline »
bringing sexy back

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
D calls out, because d can see c,b's hats and knows its a pattern

this isnt right? it says d can see both b,c so I assume he himself would this its a pattern and that a is black, and he is white.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)

are you serious? C cant turn around guys!!!!!! he can only see the hat color of B...thats it!

C still knows D is white. Think it through, you'll get it eventually.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I got it now  ;) after reading what you wrote in the irc.

Rep:
Level 96
So are there any more puzzles like this Silver?

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
More puzzles would be great...
just none of those images that drive your mind crazy. Those aren't as fun.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Sorry I don't get the Answer... I read all of them, and just cuz D can see the two infront means nothing, if some one was that sick to put them in that situation why would he make a pattern...?

I think A & B are most likely to call out, they can tilt thier head making it so the hat bends against the wall and see the colour of their hats, that way they will be 100% certain...

I just hope this is not at night time or else they are all buggered... LOL
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 05:32:52 PM by landofshadows »

My RMRK Wikki:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows
Make a Donation for my Resource making:- https://www.paypal.me/landofshadows

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
Yeah i'm wondering why they say it's D or C well if D doesn't call out C would think he has the other one but how he knows D ain't thinking..

But i think i know why you guys think it's C
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 06:07:34 PM by Snailer »

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
you are a prisoner in a foreign land. your fate will be determined by a little game. there are two jars, one with 50 white marbles, and one with 50 black marbles. at this point, you are allowed to redistribute the marbles however you wish (e.g. swap a black marble with a white marble, etc.): the only requirement is that after you are done with the redistribution, every marble must be in one of the two jars. afterwards, both jars will be shaken up, and you will be blindfolded and presented with one of the jars at random. then you pick one marble out of the jar given to you. if the marble you pull out is white, you live; if black, you die. how should you redistribute the marbles to maximize the probability that you live; what is this maximum probability (roughly)?

I would have 25 of each in each Jar 50 / 50 % chance of living or dieing... If I pull out the wrong one, tip the marbles over the florr and run away, and hope they trip on them... LOL

Cheers for the link Zeriab

Rep:
Level 96
"A man comes up to you and says 'I am lying.' Can you conclude anything?"

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
He might be telling the truth he is a Liar, thus contradicting him self... the only thing I will concluded is he can walk, talk and has the confidence to talk to a stranger about his problem, I would think he is great need of attention...

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
But i think i know why you guys think it's C

This isn't as linear a problem as it may seem. Let's go through this slowly. You see the hats here:

Now, some people say it is A. This cannot possibly be true because he cannot see any other hat, so he cannot possibly determine which color his hat is. It cannot be B for this same reason. This narrows the choices down to either C or D, so let's look into these more closely.

From the perspective of hat C, he can only see one hat: white. This does not narrow anything down, as there is still an unknown white hat to him and he could possibly be it. From the perspective of hat D, he can see not one, but two hats. One is black and one is white, so he cannot be guaranteed to be either.

However, D has an advantage, since he is able to see two different hats and since there is two of each color, a "what if" question can be put into play. So C asks himself, what if his hat was white? That would mean that D could see two white hats and therefore announce his is black. However, D did not announce such a thing. Therefore, C can conclude that his hat is indeed black.