RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Being able to attack anybody, or talk to them. ~HELP~

Rep:
Level 89
I AM MADLY IN LOVE WITH TERESA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was trying to think of a way to do this, but the only thing I came up with didn't work. So this is what I am wanting to do. I want you to be able to just walk around town, fighting ANYBODY, like in Morrowind, you know everyone is killable... but if you do this you get massive evil points for each kill, like in Fable, but these would be WAY more hurting. But I don't want that to work like you use an action on them, and a menu comes up of 'Do you want to Kill this person, or talk to them?" I want it so that when you push a different button on them it asks if you want to do that, and then if yes is seleced goes into battle.

Is this possible? If so anyone that helps, goes instantly onto my credits, lol. ;)
Arc-Angel Entertainment
Bringing Christian values to the gaming world.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
There is i topic for this.
WHICH I HAVE POSTED.
I s'pose in troubleshooting
Arlen is hot.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
common event will help here methinks

Rep:
Level 91
Thanks For Coming
Just do a conditional branch for each character, attack or talk.

Then make a variable for your good/bad points, and use a local switch to decide if they are dead or not.

Rep:
Level 89
What are you suggesting? First off I have tried a common event, but how do you assign another "Action Key"? I am not wanting it to where the player has a choice when he/she talks to the player. I am not wanting it to ask the quesion: "What do you want to do?~Attack... Talk"
I want it be another action key that if they are next to an NPC they can push an alternate button and start combat, after making sure they want to.

I already know how to control the good/bad points, and I do so. I know how to make the NPC disappear after he/she is supposed to be dead. I am just asking how do you make it to where the player can push 'enter' to talk, and let us say 's' to attack the NPC????
Arc-Angel Entertainment

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
make the common event done good...

now make a new event on your map with a graphic of a poor old civillian set the trigger as action key then call the common event that should work

Rep:
Level 89
I do not know if I am confused by your instruction, or maybe I was confusing, but... I am confused, lol. Could you explain a little more in depth, please?
Arc-Angel Entertainment

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Quote from: ahref
make the common event done good...

now make a new event on your map with a graphic of a poor old civillian set the trigger as action key then call the common event that should work

But then he can't talk to that person, just attack... right?
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 89
Thank you HaloOfTheSun, you seem to be the only person here, other then me, seeing that problem, lol. Ok anyway, lol. ;) I look forward to anymore ideas.
Arc-Angel Entertainment

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
inside the common event:

show choices:

slash the guy to bits
enemy encounter: peasant

talk to him nicely

does that make any sense??

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
^-- that's... not what was requested.

Anyway here's a way to do it (assuming you have RMXP):
If someone want to do a picture-version it'll be welcome.

inside the event (not a common event, but the person you want to talk/kill/perhaps something else)

Go to the conditional branch making dialog or whatever (Somewhere on page 1 in Event Commands)
Go to page 4 and check the Key radiobutton.
Now select the button you want pressed.

In the dropdown menu (with the keys) is with their standard keyboard buttons:

Down, Left, Right, Up <-- selfexplanary
A: Shift, Z
B: Escape, X
C: Space, Enter, C
X: A
Y: S
Z: D
R: Page Down, W
L: Page Up, Q

You selected your key... now what?
You will quickly notice that it's hard to communicate with the person by other keys than C, so you have to choose how you want it done.
You could do it with Hero Touch, you just had to keep walking into them while pressing the desired key.
You could also use Action Key, where you would hold down the desired key while press C (the normal action button).
Let's say you want the user to hold Shift to attack.
It would then look something like this:
Code: [Select]
<>Conditional Branch: Key A pushed
  <>Enemy Encounter: Butcher
  <>
  Else Handler
  <>Message: Butcher:
             What do you want?
  <>
  End
<>

I hope this will help you create wonderful games I can enjoy immensely.

Edit:
I forgot to tell that you also could make a solution with the Key Input Processing, but I think it would be more complex.
You could of course also script your way out of it.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
gah why do i never fully read the whole post ill leave now

*gives sheepish look and walks away* :(
[/code]

Rep:
Level 89
Thanks, Zeriab, that explains it quite well. I will try that out and see if it works how I want it to, sounds like it should. I do not think I could say thanks enough. ;)

You will be in my credits for this. ;)
Arc-Angel Entertainment

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
No probs, I'm just glad you understood what I wrote.

@ahref: That happens now and then. I, for example, did not read the whole post. Luckily I answered the right problem. (or so it seems)