RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Quintessence - The Blighted Venom [Revamped]

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
At the moment, I am expecting 12-15 chapters. c: But after that, there will likely be further releases - Probably filler episodes that cover time-skips in the main game, such as the travel to and from Aeria, though.

Here's a WIP map of a town:

Still WIP-ish, and there're some mapping glitches on the houses.

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Looking awesome, as always :P
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
lol, why is this behind?

=X Well, I have miss much, Time to re-download & play from the beginning, those maps surely look beautyful! <3

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Thanks. c: My apologies that I haven't been active on this thread as of late, I've been busy with a lot of things, including making the game. At the moment I am revamping the intro and ending music video to the newer versions of the intro and ending themes - expect a release on that when it's done!

For now, here's another little preview screeny from Chapter 9:

Rep:
Level 89
Earlier update reposted for positioning:
------------------------------
This post contains the newly improved version of the intro & ending video uses the new version of To Realize and Drift, performed by Adam Mussell and Laura Shigihara respectfully (many thanks to them!).
[Click on any of the three screenshots to download.]
15MB

There has been some changes and improvements from the past, but far from the originally planned complete revamp. None the less, seeing the (improved) video with the performed versions of the songs should provide a much better experience than the older versions - so give it a watch!

16mb or so; my apologies that I didn't minimize the size to the smallest possible amount, as it would involve sorting through tons of files, heheh.

http://www.quintessence-tbv.com/Quintessence_Intro&Ending_Demo.zip

Enjoy! c: Feedback and suggestions on how to improve for future revamps are always welcomed. Full-blown picture pseudo-animation revamps is still expected in the future, although no words on how far.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
These are awesome, but in the scene that the second screenshot came from, the big tree's shadow is being cast onto air.
I really enjoyed that version of "To Realize," though. Hadn't heard it before.
And "Drift" is still beautiful several listens later.

I think I have just been inspired to create a song for my game that features vocals.

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Must I say, I love it.  :tpg:

This version makes me feel fuzzy. <__< Reives, then, it can be expected that the next update the game will have this OP? <3

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
I really loved this game :)

I even cried while playing it,Its a really wesome game

Please i have a request
Could you please upload the next episodes One by one Because the !-8 package is Very big and its difficult to download for dailup users like me ...

I am really eager to see what happens next :D And its taking way long downloading 90 mb I hope the next episodes wil be uploaded separetely ...
I walk in the rain so that noboday knows i am crying .........

Rep:
Level 89
@Dertt:
Thank you. :) Glad that it inspired you to make a vocal song for your game! Looking forward to hearing it when it's done. That version of To Realize was actually a fan-submission, but it was so good that I thought it would be a waste to not use it. :p And thanks for the heads up on the shadow glitch, I'll see if I can find a way around it.

@Caro:
Glad ya enjoyed it. :) Yep, it certainly will be in the next release. Perhaps with some more improvement as well.

@Talia:
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I feel your pain about the large download size. While I might not be able to separate them into individual chapters yet, what I could do is to have a version without the Audio folder, and with only the few new sound files added. That should save a good chunk of about 30 mb or so. c: Sorry for the inconvenience.

~~~

Just another preview screenshot:

And here's a mock-up of a picture to be used in-game, possibly in the ending or intro MV. Lineart is by Rye and I am colouring it, but it's taking a while. So I made a quick mock-up with the burn tool to post it for fun.

Again, this is not the serious version, but rather just a quick mock-up colouring-wise.

:~

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
 :tpg: That scene, looks awesome. <I like that cage>

I have to say, for a mock-up, it's still awesome =)

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
<3

But the wolf doesn't look right inside the cage, it looks like you put the cage sprite over the wolf sprite, its legs have been cut off.

Other than that, <3
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Rep:
Level 89
Thanks for the comments guys, and many thanks for the help uploading those, Path. :)

The wolf in the cage in that screenshot is actually supposedly laid down, hence the cut-off-leg look - I should probably edit it to make it look less chopped. Kind of took the lazy way out there, heheh.

Here's a more recent WIP on the colouring of that pic. I'm actually having fun with it, albeit slow:

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
I just realize it just now, but, is that an ocarina he's playing by any chance? =X

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
I just realize it just now

Ah, to realize.

...get it?
Spoiler for:
It's not funny.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
It's not a potato, so it's an ocarina.
Nice artwork, by the way. ;8
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
@pathbinder
Thanks so much For your effort :)
When i posted the last post i had alreayd downloaded the game which took 5 hours!!
I wish i would have posted before I downloaded :P
Now i am just waiting for my laptop to be fixed so that i can play the game :)

But when the next chap is released I hope i find someone helpful as you to upload it Thanks again :P

@Reives
Noproblem NoPain no gain Right?

besides 90 mb was  okay and since DAp allowed Resume But I was just scared of the size of the FULL game :P

Btw Nice pics :D

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 10:17:31 AM by talia »
I walk in the rain so that noboday knows i am crying .........

Rep:
Level 89
The new release, including a much improved intro and chapter 1, as well as chapter 9, is now under beta stage. It might still be a while, but it's on good track now.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 08:49:11 PM by Reives »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Sounds wicked. Good luck.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Everything looks great as always, espically the HP and SP bars.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Rep:
Level 89
Thanks; the graphic revamp for the interface was long overdue. c:

Expected release date is this Saturday.

[Image above]

My apologies for the long, long wait; but the new release is a few steps away from release!
The current expected release date is this Saturday, September 27, 2008.

What will be included:

• *A new, much improved intro and chapter 1.
In the past, I've always brushed off game-play with whichever filler I could whip up fast just to have some interactivity to fill, to suit my priority in the story-oriented progression of the project's WIP form efficiently. However, as time went on, it has become apparent that as the project's recognition rises, skepticism concerning the actual game-play is highly disqualifying to some. So while the priority of new contents being made is still heavily story-oriented, I have remade the intro and chapter 1 in an attempt to showcase some potential for the actual game-play that is to be inserted after the project is completed story-wise.

• *Some game-play inserted into chapter 2.
This one is actually a little shaky. Chapter 2 was easily the worst chapter of the game, yet it's so early in the game. In this release, I inserted a puzzle and a mini-game into its duration. However, I should've done more but ran out of time - it is still in need of much tuning, that of which I will improve in the future.

• *Chapter 9 release.
Of course; what's a release without a new chapter? Chapter 9 is around 45min-1hr long; heavily story-oriented as it stands now. A save file to the end of chapter 8 will be provided at the release, for those to continue from where they are left off.

• *Improved Music.
I now possess the EWQL sound libraries; much much better quality-sounding playback soundfonts than the GPO I've been using. I have revamped a few existing songs, but more are expected to be improved as time goes on. There has also been a few new songs added to the soundtrack, such as "Pursuing Ancients" and "A Time Long Past", recorded with the new sound library.

• *Others.
Little improvements can be found here and there. The battle system now has a new GUI that is long overdue (I think it's on one of the screenshots above), you can now use items in battle (as well as find certain pickable things in the wild). The lighting for the earlier interiors have been vastly improved and now looks a hella more natural. Etc. etc.

There are still a lot of things that need to be improved in the earlier chapter, but I won't get anywhere if I don't slip them for new progress. c:

That's it for now; don't forget to look for the new release this weekend!

Thanks to the beta testers:
-Pathbinder
-Abigailian
-Legacyblade
-Arwym Starlight
-Sablones

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
awesomeness :D
I can't wait :D

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
It looks amazing Reives. I will be the first one to download this Saturday. I'll be constantly refreshing the page :P

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Hi people
nice job  :bean: (I had to have that bean)

Rep:
Level 89
Uploading the new package at the moment. I'll have wait a bit to make up a post for places like here, but the dl link will be posted on the home forum as soon as it is up.