RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How Gullible are we?

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project, he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide."

And for plenty of good reasons, since:

1. It can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
2. It is a major component in acid rain
3. It can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4. Accidental inhalation can kill you
5. It contributes to erosion
6. It decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
7. It has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical. Forty-three said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew that the chemical was water. The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?" He feels the conclusion is obvious.

~
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 88
Gone.
Go's to show how gullible we can and are being, i cant belive that only 1 person knew it was water
Good Bye. RMRK you were cool while I wasn't there.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I laughed my fucking ass off.

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
I fcuking craked up laughing as did my father

Rep:
Level 91
Thanks For Coming
Go's to show how gullible we can and are being, i cant belive that only 1 person knew it was water

I didnt know  :tpg:

Rep:
Level 88
Your greatest flaw is that you have a soul.
A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project, he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide."

And for plenty of good reasons, since:

1. It can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
2. It is a major component in acid rain
3. It can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4. Accidental inhalation can kill you
5. It contributes to erosion
6. It decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
7. It has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical. Forty-three said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew that the chemical was water. The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?" He feels the conclusion is obvious.

~

It is a common fact that people "don't know things", and it's another they don't think enough. Somewhere more, somewhere less. However, in my opinion, the test wasn't fully argumented. If he asked about "water", or even just said "H2O", people would, of course, reply well. If he asked anyone working with chemicals, he would reply well. Not everyone cares about scientific phrases and not everyone believes knowing what exactly "H2O" states for matters in their life. Everyone has all kind of interests and living paths and doesn't need to know something else - where that's why there are others who do know exactly that.

In my opinion, this was better a test of question how ashamed or brave we can be, because if any of them just had guts to admit he doesn't understand the question and ask for specification, his test would go in a completely different way.

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back :P
lol this proves that 86% of people generally arent very scientific or smart in that subject, not neccesarily gullible, but i guess a lil bit ya

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?

It is a common fact that people "don't know things", and it's another they don't think enough. Somewhere more, somewhere less. However, in my opinion, the test wasn't fully argumented. If he asked about "water", or even just said "H2O", people would, of course, reply well. If he asked anyone working with chemicals, he would reply well. Not everyone cares about scientific phrases and not everyone believes knowing what exactly "H2O" states for matters in their life. Everyone has all kind of interests and living paths and doesn't need to know something else - where that's why there are others who do know exactly that.

In my opinion, this was better a test of question how ashamed or brave we can be, because if any of them just had guts to admit he doesn't understand the question and ask for specification, his test would go in a completely different way.

The test also fails to mention that dihydrogen oxide is not a very standard term for water, even in the scientific field.  Though it is technically correct, it is very abnormal to call water that.
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

Rep:
Level 88

The test also fails to mention that dihydrogen oxide is not a very standard term for water, even in the scientific field.  Though it is technically correct, it is very abnormal to call water that.

My point exactly. I am sure that guy would fail if I setup a test and set him this question:

1. The process of deterministic chaos is all-present in nature and through interaction can cause serious damage to the core balance. Do you think nations should get rid of it?

Yeah, a deathtrap and I bet very little know this is about a philosophical theory.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!

If people would pay attention to the names, though, they'd be able to recognize the compound. "Dihydrogen monoxide"- 2 hydrogen, one oxygen.
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
And people wonder why humanity annoys me.

Rep:
Level 88

If people would pay attention to the names, though, they'd be able to recognize the compound. "Dihydrogen monoxide"- 2 hydrogen, one oxygen.

So, an interviewer approaches you and asks "Do you know how much time passes between first and second intercallar", and you stop there, thinking "Hmmm...let me think...inter is something inside, or between..hmm...callar could be coming from latin callis which means *opening dictionary* to insert. Hmmm, hmm...now could that be...hmm hmm... 4 years?

Regardless of obvious name, they still may not know what hydrogen stands for, and what monoxide stands for as such. As much as we need water, so much we need sodium chloride. Here's a hint: NaCl+. Now, mind anyone telling me, without studying chemistry, that I'm talking about salt?

My point is...well...the test was dumb and I would not give him award. XD

by the way, can anyone explain why the number of my posts is above 32 thousand? XD

Rep:
Level 89
Za Mullet With the Bullet ;o
GIAW 14: Participant
People are quite gullible. I've seen some people do exactly the same joke on other forums. I always lawl a lot.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
Regardless of obvious name, they still may not know what hydrogen stands for, and what monoxide stands for as such. As much as we need water, so much we need sodium chloride. Here's a hint: NaCl+. Now, mind anyone telling me, without studying chemistry, that I'm talking about salt?

My point is...well...the test was dumb and I would not give him award. XD

"What hydrogen stands for"??? WHAT ELSE WOULD IT STAND FOR? And anyone who knew science would know that "oxide" is just oxygen in an ionic compound, and that "mono" means one. Latin has very, very little to do with it.

Also, what comes into question is who exactly he asked. Did he ask adults? Peers? 5-year-olds?

And I don't think NaCl has a charge. I might be wrong, but sodium is positively charged, and chlorine is negatively charged. And NaCl is not the only salt.

EDIT: WAIT -IDE IS AT THE END OF A COVALENT COMPOUND SRY EVRYBOADY
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 02:07:35 AM by Djangonator »

Rep:
Level 88
Latin has very, very little to do with it.

It was in form of an example, didn't link it with his work in any way.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
The I don't get why you made an example of it.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
This just in: People are stupid. Oh wait, that's not news at all.

Rep:
Level 88
The I don't get why you made an example of it.

See it this way: Source isn't relevant. "Source" as what "source" is in the meaning of this word is relevant.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N

Rep:
Level 88

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
So many people who answered yes without knowing what it is  :tpg:
This made my day. XD

Just shows how easy it is to manipulate people.

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
I think its a very clever experiment. Better than my science fair...
What paper planes fly better.... The folded one did lol.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Decadent gave me a migraine....

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
That's what I actually look like, for real. Ugly.
I've heard this story before, but it's always good for a laugh.

Huh, I'm posting. I'm on Crankeye's again. I think I'll talk with you guys a little more.
*various flatulence*