RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
First off, it was pretty cool. The 3d was amazing, and the story was alright, too. Now, I'd like to give an analysis to the concept of the movie. That being said...

SPOILER ALERT!

Aside from the obvious "nature should be lived with rather than abused" theme that goes on, I noticed another theme running in the undercurrent. This would be that Avatar is basically MMO: The Movie.

The title alone is enough to postulate on this theory, but there are other factors as well:

- The main character starts at level 1, and gets stronger.
- I can think of two characters that first get land mounts, then flying mounts, and finally epic mounts.
- The process of mating, which is akin to having a wedding in an MMO.

There are also some paralells between the main character in real life, and in the "game".

- In real life, the character is handicapped, which sets up the theme that he likes the "game" world more than the real one.
- His slow detachment from reality.
- The fact that he is either sleeping, or "playing the game".
- Finally having what is essentially every MMO nerd's dream fulfilled: actually becoming his character.

The movie actually included pretty much every nerd-fantasy element, such as giant Starcraft-like mechs, the Pelicans from Halo, Dark Elves, the Mana Tree, the list goes on.

Any thoughts on this?

Oh, and the dragon rape part was a little disturbing.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I agree with all of it haha. I thought it was a bit corny at parts - as I was probably one of the few people that didn't really know anything about this movie before I went to see it - but all was well and I definitely enjoyed this movie from start to finish. As far as for the characters in the movie, it seemed odd to me just watching the relationship take place between the main hero and the woman he's been flirting with/learning from. Though I understand that over a period of 3 months of being in a body that you can actually use and basically having that much fun or like how you said "Finally having what is essentially every MMO nerd's dream fulfilled: actually becoming his character" makes sense that over that transformation you would develop a attraction for that race/species, as they're not human.

I agree 100% that the flying vehicles in this movie are literally Pelicans from Halo. Both my roommates and our friend said that at the same time as we were leaving the theater. I was disappointed that I didn't get to see the 3D version as I heard it was amazing. I am planning on seeing it again shortly after I see Sherlock Holmes in the next few days.

Also, if I were the main hero of this story, I would have done the same thing as him. Hell, he didn't have usable legs.

OH and those wiggly things in the end of their hairs that allows them to connect with nature I thought TOTALLY going to be how they mated or something, but as we saw, it is not lol.

And I don't recall a dragon rape scene o_O ?

Rep:
Level 85
???, "Big Nose"
Based on your stunning recommendation, Holk, I watched it.  I think your comments actually kept me laughing through more of the movie than I should have.   :P

The movie is really like a WoWers wet dream.  The Cornball Marine (henceforth he shall be called) seriously is like a combination of Arthas and Kilgore (from Apocalypse Now).

The feeling I get by the end though, is kind of freaky.  I'm not sure how to juggle that.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
I saw it in 3D tonight, I thought it was amazing, I don't remember a dragon rape scene though. Also I kept forgetting how big they were compared to the humans.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
That analysis is awesome Holk. I never even thought about it, but you're totally right. It's like watching somebody play an RPG.

That said, I enjoyed the movie.

Also, I think by dragon rape scene he just means the part where he had to bond with the flying beastie.

Professional Badass
Rep:
Level 82
I will make you hurt
Avatar was very entertaining and very beautiful. And the MMO thing does fit rather well. The only problem I had with the movie is that it was predictable. It had the same basic plot as Pocahontas and Fern Gully. In other words, it was a dazzling air-head fantasy that kept me fully immersed, but I would have appreciated a more complex message than what it gave.
I make my bed on remains of dead-eyed angels,
In the depths of Tartarus,
Where I lay in passion with Echidna
Giving birth to shapes both twisted and great.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Agreed, Avatar was a good movie.... but as said above, predictable, predictable, predictable.
Within the first 10-15 minutes or so, I had a good portion of the storyline figured out... go figure

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
If it wasn't James Cameron and it wasn't in 3D, it would have seen mediocre success and lukewarm reception.

Just sayin'.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I doubt that. I didn't even hear about it until a couple days before seeing it.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
I doubt that. I didn't even hear about it until a couple days before seeing it.

Okay, but hearing about it and liking it are two entirely different things.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I liked it too.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Pocahontas.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
It just occurred to me that Jake Skully rhymes with Fern Gully.

pokeball joyOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 85
I heard the voice of the salt in the desert
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best Artist2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2014 Best Artist2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Most Unsung Member
I did expect tim curry's voice to come out of the big tree clearing machine when they rolled over that first sacred tree.