RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Favorite Book, Book Series, Articles, Short Stories, or Magazines

Rep:
Level 84
~Chase Leader~
What are some of your favorites and if you have any recommendations post those here as well.
1.  The Bible
2.  The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (Series)
3.  A Place to Stand (Read it during my first year of College and it just stuck with me)

I recommend that everyone at least read part of A Place to Stand...its amazing!

(I'll try to post everyones recommendations up here so they are all in one location)

All Recommendations From Everyone:
A Place To Stand
Airman by Eoin Colfer
House Of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski
Tricky Business- Dave Barry
Tuesdays With Morrie
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:09:17 PM by Chase_Leader »

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
Mine would have to be:
1. Purpose Driven Life
2. The Last Lecture  << The book I'm currently reading.
3. Tuesdays with Morrie << One of the best books I've read.
4. For One More Day
5. Chronicles of Narnia series << Favorite book as well. It is a very symbolical story.

I have a lot more but those five books are what comes to mind at the moment.
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.

My Blogsite

Rep:
Level 84
~Chase Leader~
I just thought of a few more for my list...
4.  Star Wars:  The Darth Bane Series
     -Darth Bane
     -The Rule of Two
5.  The Entire Star Wars Book Series...because Star Wars is Awesome!

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk
The Contortionist's Handbook - Craig Clevenger
Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas - Tom Robbins
Everything Is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer
A Short History Of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
Fingerprints Of The Gods - Graham Hancock

Rep:
Level 84
~Chase Leader~
Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk
The Contortionist's Handbook - Craig Clevenger
Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas - Tom Robbins
A Short History Of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
Fingerprints Of The Gods - Graham Hancock
If you had to pick one, forced to if you will, which one would it be your favorite?

Are we the only ones that like to read books?

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
The writers that I like all have a distinct style, so it would be incredibly hard for me to choose just one. But, gun to my head, I'd probably pick House of Leaves. I could spend a year or two reading it over and over and finding all of the intricacies of it.

Rep:
Level 84
~Chase Leader~
Thanks, I am trying to compile a list of favorite books, I want to start reading more than I do, and its hard enough finding interesting books from the library...there are just too many to choose from...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 01:05:48 PM by Chase_Leader »

Rep:
Level 94
Well, I can tell you a little about some of them~

House Of Leaves: This is a meta-fiction book, meaning that it is a book within a book. The main storyline is a little hard to describe, but suffice to say that it is about a haunted house. The thing that separates this book from other haunted house stories is that neither of the two main characters ever set foot inside the house. The book starts with a short video called "The 5 and 1/2 minute hallway" which is about the owners of said house realizing that things aren't quite what they seem. The house is larger on the inside than it is on the outside, and there are rooms which seem to appear and disappear for no reason at all. This, and other data about the house on Ash Tree Lane has been compiled by an old man named Zampano. Upon Zampano's dying, all of his records are discovered by a tattoo artist named Jonny Truant, and it is along with him that you will dive into these old records. Are you confused yet? Like I said, it's a lot harder to explain than to just read it. Also, the book uses awesome techniques to make the reader feel like they're actually a part of the story. Pages where a character is running through narrow hallways have only a few words on them, to give the sense of frantically moving. The house's structure defies logic, so there are pages with text in small boxes, text written backwards, and all sorts of other interesting methods. Oh, and there are countless secrets hidden in the book, such as taking the first letter from each word in a certain passage to find an encoded message. These things aren't always obvious, and there are actually several "walkthroughs" of the book on the internet. Yeah. It's that awesome.

Invisible Monsters: This book is, like all of Palahniuk's books, the tale of a loner. Shannon is a former fashion model, who lost the lower half of her face to a gunshot. She travels along with a bunch of fucked-up people who do equally fucked-up things, such as stealing drugs from the open-house tours of rich people. I can't really say anything about this book plot-wise, because there are so many twists that by the end you can't believe who these characters end up being. I will say that it is my favorite book by my favorite author, and hope that this statement alone will help you decide to read it or not.

Cat's Cradle: Kurt Vonnegut books give me a unique feeling when I read them. It's a mix of hopelessness and hilarity. It's a feeling that no other author gives me, and I can read any of his books with confidence that I will be pleased. Cat's Cradle is mostly a story about Bokononism, which is a fictional anti-religion started by a man in the Caribbean. The rest of the story is about Ice-Nine, a fictional chemical compound that will instantly turn any liquid it comes in contact with into more Ice-Nine. I'm starting to realize that either I'm no good at explaining books that I like, or the books that I like are hard to explain.

Fingerprints Of The Gods: This is a non-fiction book about Graham Hancock taking a journey to ancient monoliths around the world, and trying to come up with a meaning and connection between them. A lot of the science in the book is bogus, and should be taken with a grain of salt, but the coincidences and unexplained mysteries that he goes into are incredible. The book deals a lot with precursor civilizations, such as the Maya and the Olmec, and talks in part about the 2012 apocalypse. In short, Hancock takes myths, artifacts, monoliths, and local tales and spins them all together into one cohesive story of a former civilization. There are parts of his theories that I believe in, and others that are pretty out there. It's a great read though.

Rep:
Level 84
~Chase Leader~
The last one, Fingerprints of the Gods seems very interesting, it definitely sounds like something I would read.
And Cats Cradle sounds pretty cool as well.
Thanks I'll definitely check them out from the library.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I don't have favorites, if I read the whole book without getting bored and have this urge to read even when I can be playing, then its good.
The Hitchhikers series was good. I also like any detective books cuz mystery. I'm currently into Poirot books written by Agatha Christia.

Currently, I'm not reading anything (since a week)
Last book I read : The Theif Lord by Cornelia Funke
Yes, its a childrens book but its fun. And I am a child ;-;
I didn't like it very much though...

And before that, I've read a pretty cool book, one of my favorites:
Airman by Eoin Colfer. Yeah, this is a gooooooooodd book. A boy trying to fly in the 1800s. The storyline is good too, but if you're into lot of seriousy-books then you won't like it.
Eoin Colfer is also re-starting the Hitchhikers series :O
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 84
~Chase Leader~
Eoin Colfer is also re-starting the Hitchhikers series :O
Are you serious, I hope he can live up to Douglas Adams...but that would awesome!

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eoin_Colfer

Pretty sure

Read for yourself, under his "Works" (and another thing)
Couldn't link to it due to some problem with brackets.

and a penguin.

Arlen is hot.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
I am a voracious reader, it would be hard for me to pick a single favorite.  I'll just recommend one for you. 
Tricky Business- Dave Barry
Barry tells the story with his usual comic flair, lots of bad words, his usual fascination with bodily fluids, a little adolescent sexuality, and a bottomless capacity to laugh at everything, including himself.

The book starts with a warning that there are "BAD WORDS IN THIS BOOK". So if that offends or upsets you.. might want to skip it.  But then again what are you doing at rmrk if it does <_<
I personally found it hilarious.  I read the entire book in a couple of days, could not put it down.  I am currently reading The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker.  No opinion on it yet.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
The Gunslinger - Stephen King
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
Bag of Bones - Stephen King
Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Anthem - Ayn Rand
House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski

In no particular order.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 03:16:22 AM by Anski »
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
NEEEEECROPOSTING
Because it needed to be done, this topic is great and I'm lazy.

It's tricky for me to pick a favorite books because up until now I've pretty much been reading required reading and magazine articles. :P With a doubt though, my number one is true.
I would happily say Philip K. Dick is my favorite author. He really made we want to read and read. I wasted most of my summer reading his works.

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch - Philip K. Dick
Spoiler for:
Favorite book. It's a really bizarre book laced with dark humor and irony, which offers a good does of comedy in a rather dark world. It focuses on a really paranoid fashion consultant for a furniture design company, he thinks he's going to be drafted to the colony planets and is failing to make good decisions. The company he works for produces an illegal hallucinogenic drug (named Can-D) made from lichen that when used alongside the furniture layouts will let them "translate" into Perky Pat (for females) and Walt (for males) which offers some relief to the normaly hard day colonists have to put up with. It's really interesting and just blew my mind. Towards the end of the book you can't tell whether or not what's going on is all one big hallucination controlled by a godlike figure who created a competing drug that's legal, Chew-Z.
The great thing is taht he tells you how it's going to roll out and when the ending comes around it still blows your mind.
The Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs
And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie
Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris
Screwtape Letters - C. S. Lewis
Flow My Tears, The Police Man Said - Philip K. Dick
The Man in the High Castle - Philip K. Dick
I Am Legend - Richard Matherson

I'd recommend reading The Man in the High Castle, which is an alternate history Sci-Fi tale in where the Allies lose WWII and the world is divided up (mostly) between Japan and Germany. It can easily get you into his very unconventional way of writing, or as PKD fans like to joke "scriptures". If it's scary or weird to you go with Flow My Tears, The Police Man Said. Which is about a celebrity variety show host who wakes up the next day without an identity. Going from 30 million viewers to without police or national data records. My only beef with this novel is that he introduces some pivotal characters then kind of lets them drop, the ending fell short in my opinion, however from the first to the last page, I couldn't stop reading this. It's also quite humorous and a lot less dark. Ripe for a film adaption, hear that Hollywood?  :mad:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I actually just finished reading this for my school's Summer Reading project. It's hilarious :tpg: But I've only read the first one so far. Not the other 4 in the series (?).

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
I actually just finished reading this for my school's Summer Reading project. It's hilarious :tpg: But I've only read the first one so far. Not the other 4 in the series (?).

It is hilarious, I loved it! Over too soon.  :'(

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Ender's Game series
Eragon series
I am Legend was pretty good, his short stories are good too.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Reading this right now, it's awesome

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
1984 - George Orwell