RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Is there a way to get rid of the ATB system in RM2K3?

Rep: +0/-0Level 80
RMRK Junior
Is there a way to get rid of the ATB system in RM2K3? I'm trying to remake Dragon Warrior/Quest 4
& the ATB system would just ruin this game. I know it's possible because I played somebody's game
that didn't have a ATB system. The game was called "The Way" which has like 4 parts to it. So if anyone
knows how to get rid of it please tell me, thank you.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
It has to be evented, so instead of calling battles through the normal way, you have to make an event sytem and run that for battles.

RMRK Junior
That's kinda vague. Could you be more specific? This is my 1st time making a game.

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
Vague? Dude, you can't simplify it any further than that. You have to do some eventing to get what you want out of RM2K3.

RMRK Junior
I'm asking how do you make a turn-based battle system from events!

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
That's pretty much it. Event it. Don't call battles the normal way, just use your imagination and event it... Show choices, check skills, etc. Make a system with lots of conditional branches and stuff.

If this is your first time making a game, I wouldn't recommend using a battle system that isn't the default anyways. Try eventing something simpler, like a fishing system or banking system... Also, you'd have to find a way to change the core scripts of RM2K3 if you didn't want to event it, which is gonna be way harder since there's no script editor, meaning your gonna have to download a crack, patch, or something.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Yeah, if you're not a good eventer, you won't be able to do anything really complicated with events, and if you need someone to explain it to you potential ways you could do it, you're probably not experienced enough to do it yourself even if someone explains it to you.

But think about a really simple battle system, like Rock Paper Scissors. How would you do that? Well, when it's the player's turn, you'd use a Show Choice branch. You could then save the player's selection to a variable Then, you'd go to the enemy turn. You'd set a variable to Rand 0...3. Then you'd have both of them having selected, so you'd then do a conditional branch for each possibility (Player picked Rock, Enemy picked Rock => 0 damage to either; Player picked Rock, Enemy picked Scissors => 1 damage to enemy, etc...). That would be a basic Rock Paper Scissors game.

Then, you could complicate things by maybe making the enemy not pick on equally random, but instead have it 50% likely that he picks rock over the other two - then you'd use rand (0...4) and distribute accordingly. And then you could make the damage different  you could set variables to the enemy def and actor attack and make a custom damage formula. You could add graphics to it to make it a little snazzier - maybe play an animation on the sprite of an enemy.

The eventing gets complicated pretty quickly the more features you add; the more party members, etc... but roughly, that would be a process to making a battle system; have the player choose actions, save those actions, have the enemy choose their actions, save those actions, then define and enact the results. Repeat. You could also make a real time battle of course, but that becomes even more complicated. Basically speaking, in 2k3, you need to either know eventing, or have someone who knows eventing to make a good custom battle system. You'd probably want to get into picture eventing too if you wanted it to look at all pretty.

The long and short of it; learn eventing or recruit someone who knows how to event. Or else, move to a RMXP or RMVX and find a script for the battle system you want. Or: settle for the default battle system until you become familiar enough with eventing to do it yourself.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:11:20 AM by modern algebra »

RMRK Junior
Now, even if I were to come up with something, how would I apply it to every battle? i'm not gonna
have to apply this to every monster group am I? Or could I set it up as a "Common Event" and simply
have every monster group call the common event?

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
... instead of calling battles through the normal way ...

You'd have to call 'em with events. You wouldn't be able to use the Encounter Method RM2k3 gives you, since that'll screw you over in more ways than one.

RMRK Junior
By the way, does anyone know how to set custom music for different fights, like boss battles. I tried
to change the BGM for a boss fight through the boss battle event, but it wouldn't work. I tried both
before & after the "enemy encounter" command, but niether worked. What am I doing wrong?

Rep:
Level 97
Change System BGM: Battle filename isn't working? It works for me. It is a command on the first tab of events, near the bottom of the second column, called Change System BGM, and for event choose Battle, then choose the music you want. I suspect you are using Play BGM on the third tab of event. Don't use that.

Also, do it prior to the battle, in the event where you call the boss battle.