RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Here we go again, SOPA IS BACK!

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
That's why I mentioned the potential of a secret bill being passed to stop that;
And asked if you thought they'd willingly step out of office if they really didn't have to.

She brings up a good point though. I'm sure the music industry is doing just fine.
The other industries on the other hand, I am not so sure about.

It doesn't necessarily need to have a policy of censorship to actually do that.
If this bill is supposed to be similar to SOPA/PIPA (which I am doubting at this point), it will probably have a blacklist for sites to block.
I think chances are pretty good that some sites will 'accidentally' get shut down under the assumption of supporting piracy, some sites that were perhaps a little anti-government.
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
Speaking of websites that got shut down...

From what I understand, the owners of Megaupload were drawing attention to themselves by sharing links from their own website for downloads of shows and other things that were being illegally hosted on megaupload.  While the website itself had a terms of use that prohibited the uploading of files that were pirated, the owners themselves seemed to knowingly allow some of these uploads to remain which is what ended up being their ultimate downfall. 

I'm sure many industries are doing just fine or else independant record labels and whatnot would not be popping up everywhere...in fact, it seems every rapper is making their own independant record label (As an example) and they all seem to be doing very well.  The problem lies in the fact that every body wants a bigger piece of the pie so they want to ban piracy outright and, you know, I guess I can't blame them for wanting more.  I'm sure if I was in the position they are in, I would too...but I'm not.  Again, I neither support nor am against piracy (if asked, I would willingly admit to some of my past "extended trial" downloads at the most that I actually bought in the end, but nothing more due to the internet being a great place to incriminate yourself for all to see), but it is still against the law and it is inevitable that a bill aimed at piracy will come into play at some point and if we don't put our foot down and say what is acceptable and what is unacceptable contents to be placed within said law and demand that that be it or else we WILL take action, we are going to constantly be given shitty bills that will continue to try to strip away freedom, either intentionally or unintentionally, and I'm just going to give them the benefit of the doubt that A: half of them don't know how to properly use a fax machine much less the internet and B: they don't know much at all about things that go on on the internet and get fed bullshit by third parties and so both of those issues together lead to them making poor decisions about how to go about correcting any internet piracy issue.
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Megaupload were scumbags that were profiting off of their filesharing, knowingly hosting backups for and encouraging the storage and distribution of copyrighted content.

They knew what they were doing, and they were raking in ad money -and- subscription money.  They claimed to be a file-locker, but deleted unpopular files after a while, and focused on pumping ads and download faster into their business scheme.

They were criminal.

Also, I have to agree with Modern on this one, it doesn't even talk about filesharing at all, it's all cybersecurity, and deals with file-theft only in the sense that a system could be protected against hack and forced-download of their files.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
Right now I'm remembering a British person being extradited to the US for a crime that is not illegal in his own country, but somehow being extradited anyway.
Not to mention someone from New Zealand being denied access to a lawyer.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Calling this SOPA is a mistake. It isn't the same thing.

Rep:
Level 57
Everything about Rendered Fate
Nope. It's much worse.
Link to my game is here.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,45507.0.html
Feedback will be nice to get, constructive or otherwise.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
Explain your theory Revtattertot.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:44:01 PM by Chris 3 »
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Because sops was about shutting down websites that host pirated material. This is about looking into individuals' private information. They're both bad, but they're not the same.

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
Nope. It's much worse.
Explain your theory.

I've gotta agree that you need to explain your theory here.  I've heard people say that both bills are just as bad as the other but never "It's much worse."   

Because sops was about shutting down websites that host pirated material. This is about looking into individuals' private information. They're both bad, but they're not the same.

But I have a question for you.  I'm not sure if you are explaining why Revtattertot is right or if you are just throwing out there why they are not the same but if you are agreeing with Revtattertot, tell me...is it much worse to have your information available to the government or them censoring the internet by blocking websites or shutting them down, limiting the interenet's usefulness as an educational tool, a business platform and a way to speak out freely?
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep:
Level 94
Neither. I'm explaining why they aren't the same.

Rep:
Level 57
Steve, you kinda hit the points already. If I remember correctly [don't quote me exactly here, I'm not 100% on some of this], SOPA required evidence of piracy or infringement in order to shut a site down. With CISPA, all they had to do was claim it, and its down.

If I'm right or wrong, because I kinda need to have a bit more clarity since it has been a while since I read the SOPA bill, tell me.
Link to my game is here.

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
I'm no expert so I'm not gonna speak very much on it, but if the government wanted evidence, they could just fabricate it and people would believe it.  I don't think evidence was ever a strong concern for them.

SOON
Rep:
Level 72
Jomarcenter - MJM
updates:
a new petition was launched and this is the petition against facebook and microsoft.
http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_corporate_global/?cl=1739067674&v=13731

Rep:
Level 63
オ・マイ・ゴッド ・㉨・
updates:
a new petition was launched and this is the petition against facebook and microsoft.
http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_corporate_global/?cl=1739067674&v=13731
Seriously, a online petition isn't going to really do anything.
If you really want to stop the bill, go protest outside of the white house.  :blizj:
なんでやねん

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
Its a petition to microsoft and facebook to drop support of the bill.  I don't think going outside of the whitehouse would do a damn thing to get them to drop support lol.

The simple thing is to threaten to stop using their products as a collective.

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
Got this in an email today.  I didn't copy links or anything because anyone can find the Demand Progress website from using Google if they want to sign any petitions or whatever.  I thought this was pretty interesting.  CISPA may get vetoed if it makes its way through congress by Obama.  Now, I wont hold my breath with some of the empty promises he has made in the past but it sounds hopeful.

Steven,

Friends,

This is HUGE: President Obama just threatened to veto CISPA if it makes its way through Congress.

Please click here to urge Obama to stand strong, and to let your lawmakers know that you support Obama's veto threat.

CISPA is up for a vote this week. It would obliterate any semblance of online privacy in the United States, giving the government -- including the military -- broad new powers to spy on Internet users.

The White House's letter expresses precisely the concerns that we've been highlighting over recent weeks -- and is a result of the public pressure against CISPA:

The White House says that any cybersecurity legislation must preserve "Americans' privacy, data confidentiality, and civil liberties and [recognize] the civilian nature of cyberspace."
It says that, "The bill also lacks sufficient limitations on the sharing of personally identifiable information between private entities and does not contain adequate oversight or accountability measures necessary to ensure that the data is used only for appropriate purposes."
And the letter goes on to assert that:

The American people expect their Government to enhance security without undermining their privacy and civil liberties.

Without clear legal protections and independent oversight, information sharing legislation will undermine the public's trust in the Government as well as in the Internet by undermining fundamental privacy, confidentiality, civil liberties, and consumer protections.

This is an amazing development.  Let's make the most of it:

Just click here to urge Obama to stand strong and to tell your lawmakers to oppose CISPA.

Thanks.

-Demand Progress

PS- We only have a few days left to kill CISPA.  Please tell your friends to get involved by forwarding this email or using these links:

Rep:
Level 57
I think Steven said what I was gonna say.
Link to my game is here.

SOON
Rep:
Level 72
Jomarcenter - MJM
Got this in an email today.  I didn't copy links or anything because anyone can find the Demand Progress website from using Google if they want to sign any petitions or whatever.  I thought this was pretty interesting.  CISPA may get vetoed if it makes its way through congress by Obama.  Now, I wont hold my breath with some of the empty promises he has made in the past but it sounds hopeful.

Steven,

Friends,

This is HUGE: President Obama just threatened to veto CISPA if it makes its way through Congress.

Please click here to urge Obama to stand strong, and to let your lawmakers know that you support Obama's veto threat.

CISPA is up for a vote this week. It would obliterate any semblance of online privacy in the United States, giving the government -- including the military -- broad new powers to spy on Internet users.

The White House's letter expresses precisely the concerns that we've been highlighting over recent weeks -- and is a result of the public pressure against CISPA:

The White House says that any cybersecurity legislation must preserve "Americans' privacy, data confidentiality, and civil liberties and [recognize] the civilian nature of cyberspace."
It says that, "The bill also lacks sufficient limitations on the sharing of personally identifiable information between private entities and does not contain adequate oversight or accountability measures necessary to ensure that the data is used only for appropriate purposes."
And the letter goes on to assert that:

The American people expect their Government to enhance security without undermining their privacy and civil liberties.

Without clear legal protections and independent oversight, information sharing legislation will undermine the public's trust in the Government as well as in the Internet by undermining fundamental privacy, confidentiality, civil liberties, and consumer protections.

This is an amazing development.  Let's make the most of it:

Just click here to urge Obama to stand strong and to tell your lawmakers to oppose CISPA.

Thanks.

-Demand Progress

PS- We only have a few days left to kill CISPA.  Please tell your friends to get involved by forwarding this email or using these links:

that strange? i'm an subscriber on demand progress but i didn't get this e-mail.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
fudge off jormer

Rep:
Level 57
Hey, at least he's on topic.

Of course, I didn't get the notice either, so I kinda empathize with him here.
Link to my game is here.

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
Check your spam folder if you haven't.  A few of their emails have gone to my spam folder for some reason.

Rep:
Level 94
I got it too, but DP is fucking annoying. I unsubscribe every time I sign a petition because they send me a bunch of shit that I don't care about. Same with avazz.

Rep:
Level 57
Found it. Thanks guys.
Link to my game is here.

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
I got it too, but DP is fucking annoying. I unsubscribe every time I sign a petition because they send me a bunch of shit that I don't care about. Same with avazz.

Yeah I generally don't care cuz I get spammed by almost everyone and their mother already anyway.

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
Figured I would bump this to post the following.

From: http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/cispa_passes?akid=1331.468733.Sfeqtw&rd=1&t=3

House Passes CISPA: Make Sure It Dies In The Senate

We pushed them to the brink, but House Republicans rammed through CISPA this afternoon, ahead of schedule.  Let's make sure it dies in the Senate: Please add your name at right.

CISPA would give the government and corporations vast new powers to track and share data about Americans' Internet use.

But our hundreds of thousands of emails and tens of thousands of phone calls have had a real impact:

Amendments were adopted that made CISPA (marginally) better.
Earlier this month CISPA was supposed to sail through, but we helped foment opposition, and the vote was far closer than anybody could have imagined even a couple of weeks ago.
Most Democrats held firm in opposition, and more than two dozen libertarian-leaning Republicans defied their leadership and voted no.
Most importantly, President Obama has threatened to veto CISPA.
The Senate will consider cyber security legislation in the coming weeks.  Let's turn up the heat right away: Tell the Senate to reject CISPA and any and all legislation that doesn't respect privacy and civil liberties.