RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Should any country in the world be spending money on Space Exploration?

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
The Hated One
Should any country in the world be spending money on Space Exploration?

I feel that Space Exploration is not needed, and money that is used on it could really be going to other things.
Legacy: The Gatekeeper- Demo 2.0 Now Avaliable

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
I reckon it should be used yea because it is a scientific fact that the sun is getting hotter and soon it will be too hot to live on earth so we muct travel to places in "Space" (why is it called Space anyway?)
So the explorers are just looking for whats best for the worlds people.
I bet they didnt think that traveling around the world was needed and now look!
Its alot better than it would have been if they didnt.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Don't be ignorant, kid. We NEED more room. This world is all ready becoming too hot, messy, and populated. Not to mention we can't stand the site of each other half the time. Eventually, we're just gonna have to, well, LEAVE.

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?
the population of the earth is 6.5 billion and growing rapidly.  there is a hole in the ozone layer, the ice caps are melting, we are running out of natural resources, and the earth is so polluted (particularly the air) its no longer healthy to live on.  though we are still GENERATIONS away from being able to live on other planets as of now, it really is a race between the extinction of the human race as earth goes kaput and us living in space.  fun.
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text

YEAH how cool would it be to live in "Space"

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female MemberLO !!f*ck u >:(^_________________^
Meh. I think space exploration is valuable.

We might be able to link the beginning of life to extraterrestrial objects.

I don't really think the earth is really in that bad of a condition right now, but at the exponential rate at which the human race is growing, we're going to need more room to accommodate a much larger population. There's a chance we could terraform another planet- Mars, for example- and turn it into a place like earth in only a few thousand years, especially considering that there might even be flowing water there. Let a stronger atmosphere develop, drill for water, throw in plenty of trees and implant an artificial ecosystem, and you'd have a pretty great little colony planet.

Then think of all the geology and chemistry that could be done. Who knows if there are undiscovered elements just waiting to be mined or not?

And, all in all, we're just another species struggling to maintain our existence. We may be the smartest, most resourceful, and best evolved animals in the world, but we are still just animals, and we are still only the best in our world. Space exploration would definitely give us an upper hand in being the best interstellar species, yeah?
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
The Hated One
Right but waht you have to think about, is the fact that as a whole the Earth has spent Millions and Millions of dollars on Space Exploration, and how far have we goten people on the moon and a couple of Shuttles through space. The problems that were currently having like pollution can most likely be fixed with more money towards the problem and if we stop space exploration we can use that money towards those things.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
The Hated One
Don't be ignorant, kid. We NEED more room. This world is all ready becoming too hot, messy, and populated. Not to mention we can't stand the site of each other half the time. Eventually, we're just gonna have to, well, LEAVE.

Two things, even if I was a kid which im not (im 17) I could still have an Inteligent Disscusion, and two do you know how hard it would be to get people into space, not only billions of dollars would have to spent, not only hundreds of years, but do you really think that everyone would be able to take a launch into space, most astronauts go through intense training, if we did go into space many would die and we would lose the same amount of people to space as we would to pollution and other things.

Rep:
Level 89
but no matter how much money u have, u can't solve overpopulation, unless maybe u spend it making an extension to the earth somehow....uh...

and as far as money goes, more like trillions have been spent, not millions.  just so u know.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

Rep:
Level 89

Two things, even if I was a kid which im not (im 17) I could still have an Inteligent Disscusion, and two do you know how hard it would be to get people into space, not only billions of dollars would have to spent, not only hundreds of years, but do you really think that everyone would be able to take a launch into space, most astronauts go through intense training, if we did go into space many would die and we would lose the same amount of people to space as we would to pollution and other things.

back in the first days of air travel, only people with certain endurance and intelligence would be able to fly.  now a days u can just buy a ticket and take a plane anywhere.  it's all a matter of waiting for a technology that makes space travel less intense.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
The Hated One
So in your opinion do you think that by the time we are that far in technological advancements that we will still have time to leave. I feel that by that time the Earth would have already been destroyed from one of its many everlasting problems.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
Fix pollution how? No amount of money will repair a damaged ozone layer, the things we like to burn for fuel are causing the hole to get bigger and bigger, and not many people are willing to invest in alternate power sources.

We should spend money on improving the environment, but space exploration is still valuable.

Rep:
Level 89
So in your opinion do you think that by the time we are that far in technological advancements that we will still have time to leave. I feel that by that time the Earth would have already been destroyed from one of its many everlasting problems.

well once people stop denying the problems and when we get close enough to our own demise we will pick up how fast we're working on this and advance quicker.  but thats why earlier i referred to it as a "race."

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
Right but waht you have to think about, is the fact that as a whole the Earth has spent Millions and Millions of dollars on Space Exploration, and how far have we goten people on the moon and a couple of Shuttles through space. The problems that were currently having like pollution can most likely be fixed with more money towards the problem and if we stop space exploration we can use that money towards those things.

But what you also have to think about is that there has always been a large population, poor people, and other things like that. Right from the dawn of mankind, and how far have we gotten in fixing the amount of poor people?
Nowhere. We have been having attempts at fixing these problems for thousands of years and there are still millions of people out there living on the streets, whole villages of people starving in africa.
Theres not really anything we can do.
There will forever be a large population and poor people,
so why not try to advance our intelligence on the universe
and maybe we will find something.

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
Two things, even if I was a kid which im not (im 17)
Seventeen is still a kid.

Also, as much as I'd like to see the damages in the environment repaired, I don't see that happening to any large degree. Furthermore, what kind of ecological doom scenario do you have in mind here? The earth is on no fast track to destruction, as far as I can see.

More relevant to space exploration itself, Djangie raises some intriguing points. I'd very much like to see Mars colonised (not, of course, that it would happen in my lifetime :( ). Sigh, maybe cryogenics will allow me to travel to Martian settlements one day.
Quote from: Elegy
It's fucking sad that you and the cat can't stick to the subject and even attempt to defend your little bullshit religion without jumping to personal attacks, maybe thats because evolution is such a stupid idea it's hard to back it up with any claims pertaining to reality.

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Wisdom is not bound by age my friend. ;)

I say go for the exploration. God gave us mountains to climb, we should climb them.

God gave us space, why not explore it? Learn a thing or two about the place we live in.

I learned the other day that there's planets with three suns that have conjuntions. It's pretty cool actually.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
Wisdom is not bound by age my friend. ;)
That isn't what I implied. I think teenagers who say 'I'M NOT A KID I'M X-AGE' are silly and obviously insecure about their age. Which is in turn silly in it's own way.

I say go for the exploration. God gave us mountains to climb, we should climb them.

God gave us space, why not explore it? Learn a thing or two about the place we live in.
DON'T FORGET OUR GRACIOUS AND LOVING GOD ALSO GAVE US A DEEP, DEEP OCEAN OF LOVE FOR US TO DIVE IN!
It's fucking sad that you and the cat can't stick to the subject and even attempt to defend your little bullshit religion without jumping to personal attacks, maybe thats because evolution is such a stupid idea it's hard to back it up with any claims pertaining to reality.

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Exactly!

Aren't the depths of the ocean beautiful?

EDIT : I apologize for assuming that's what you implied. I myself am 15, and having been put into legal situations (parental rights -- involving my mother) where everybody looked down on me like I'm a two year old.
In fact, the judge described me just like my mother, I almost punched her.

@Mom - If you're reading this and you know it's me, I will apologize for telling others, but this is how I feel.

My life has been Hell for years. It's hard to explain.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 01:27:11 AM by Tsunokiette »

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
I'm afraid to jump! All these people who go too deep end up drowning!

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
I'm afraid to jump! All these people who go too deep end up drowning!

That's why God gave us the brains to build the submarine! It's amazing isn't it?

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
EDIT : I apologize for assuming that's what you implied. I myself am 15, and having been put into legal situations (parental rights -- involving my mother) where everybody looked down on me like I'm a two year old.
In fact, the judge described me just like my mother, I almost punched her.

@Mom - If you're reading this and you know it's me, I will apologize for telling others, but this is how I feel.

My life has been Hell for years. It's hard to explain.
This shows me how good these submarines are.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
That was cruel, but I can't help but laugh. Hard. Sorry Tsuno, I know what parent issues are like.

EDIT: Still laughing. Can't breathe.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 01:35:35 AM by Djangonator »

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero

Dude, no! I didn't mean you WERE a kid, I was just using a fraction of your username to refer to you! In retrospect, I should have type out the whole thing, sorry about that.

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
That was cruel, but I can't help but laugh. Hard. Sorry Tsuno, I know what parent issues are like.

EDIT: Still laughing. Can't breathe.
I wasn't joking!

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I'm just shaking my head right now....