RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
A couple of questions..

Rep:
Level 88
1) Can anyone link me to a CBS tutorial (2k3 or XP), or a game that does a CBS well? Or can anyone explain to me the general concept of a CBS (like, how everything is done (code-wise)); basically tell me how to make a CBS (w/ or w/o actual code).

2) Can someone please link me to where I can learn some (preferably all) of Ruby for XP?

Any help appreciated.
STILL NEED FEEDBACK ON MY RUNNING/JUMPING SYSTEM!
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,16158.0.html

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
1) It'd be hard to explain this to someone who doesn't know RGSS. There is an ABS Tutorial on the forum somewhere. Find a post by BECKY1111 and there's a link in the sig I believe. Basically, default RMXP works in phases. I haven't looked at the battle system scripts, but it's something like this:

start phase # determines attack order, sets up battle, etc...

main phase  # This is a loop, running each turn for each member involved in the battle
   - actor phase #when the current member is an actor
       - select phase #select attack, skill, etc...
       - target phase # target your attack or skill
   - enemy phase # runs when the current member is an enemy
   - action phase # shows and processes the moves each member of the battle has chosen

end phase # finishes battle once all actors or all enemies are dead

2)  http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,1723.0.html

That topic has links to some good tutorials. The best way to learn scripting is to modify the default scripts and see what happens, IMO. You can't possibly learn all of RGSS from reading a bunch of tutorials though. You have to practice. Once you get the basics down (I'd suggest trying to make a simple CMS), start taking requests and doing them. Do research. If you have the official version, the help file is very useful. I'd say that the help file is the best reason ro purchase RMXP

Rep:
Level 88
I don't really need to know RGSS to understand the concept behind a CBS; an example of one from 2k/2k3 would be just as useful. Its just to hard to phrase my questions regarding it that just seeing an example and reverse-engineering one would be more effective. And unfortunatelly, I don't yet know RGSS so I couldn't really understand your example, but from what I did get is that is the basic order/components of a CBS; like, for example, how are monster 'AI' emulated in a CBS (from what I understand, CBS makes the DBS completely useless and the DBS is referenced in no way)? I'm talking about their 'priority' attacks, things like that. I could make all that manually (a common event for every monster or so), but that would take too much work, and I'm pretty sure there is an easier way (perhaps referencing the DBS for the monster skill 'priority' and things of the like).

And thanks for linking me to that thread. I knew I've seen it somewhere before on this forum, but that was many months ago and I forgot where and by whom it was. And yes, I plan to utilize my learned RGSS skills and make something, probably starting with a CMS like you suggested, as I learn enough to be able to make it. As it is, I have plenty of ideas to keep me busy making scripts for.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I don't really need to know RGSS to understand the concept behind a CBS; an example of one from 2k/2k3 would be just as useful. Its just to hard to phrase my questions regarding it that just seeing an example and reverse-engineering one would be more effective. And unfortunatelly, I don't yet know RGSS so I couldn't really understand your example, but from what I did get is that is the basic order/components of a CBS; like, for example, how are monster 'AI' emulated in a CBS (from what I understand, CBS makes the DBS completely useless and the DBS is referenced in no way)? I'm talking about their 'priority' attacks, things like that. I could make all that manually (a common event for every monster or so), but that would take too much work, and I'm pretty sure there is an easier way (perhaps referencing the DBS for the monster skill 'priority' and things of the like).

And thanks for linking me to that thread. I knew I've seen it somewhere before on this forum, but that was many months ago and I forgot where and by whom it was. And yes, I plan to utilize my learned RGSS skills and make something, probably starting with a CMS like you suggested, as I learn enough to be able to make it. As it is, I have plenty of ideas to keep me busy making scripts for.

err...you can't reverse engineer a CBS from 2k/2k3 because neither have RGSS

a CBS is not a simple thing to code, regardless of whether it looks simple when it's done.
go to hbgames.org and search for ATB or Side View Battle
you will find a few scripts that, when combined, make the 2k3 battle system
then you can see it.

as for referencing the DBS, the reason you can't do that, is because you are overriding the phazes of the DBS and making them act differently.
you're basically overwriting the DBS in order to create your CBS
the priority attack thing is still used, it's just written into the CBS differently than the DBS

the best way to learn RGSS is to do what Modern said, tinker with the default scripts and see what happens
(that's how I learned/keep learning)

also, this should be in the scripts section
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:53:09 AM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 88
I didn't mean reverse-engineer as literally rip from one and place in another. I just need to understand how one works (more so then I do now).

When you speak of me referencing the DBS, you speak in the context of XP? I was more or less asking that in the context of 2k3, but that doesn't really matter. In XP, yea it seems I would have to overwrite the existing DBS with my own (unless there is a way to create new script pages which I have yet to find).

Also, this is in the right section since this is the 'Help' section and I wasn't really asking for any scripts.

Anyway, I'll go look at hbgames.org later today and see what I can find. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
ahh, my bad, I misunderstood

actually, you can add in new scripts, just right click and hit insert
but the battle phazes are still the same and by writing a script below them, you are overwriting them

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon