RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Learn skill through item

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
Like it say, maybe I'm over thinking this problem. I've read a few things online about how to do it but it's 3:30 in the morning and I'm beat and frustrated now. So I ask for your help.

I want to make an item that will teach you a skill when you use it. If you already know the skill it won't let you use it. This is what i have so far.

The item is called "The book of ice" (yeah not original, but this is just for testing right now). It is consumable, activates the state "learn" and calls the common even "Learn Ice"

Conditional is "Ice 1" is learned, if yes change your state -learning and tells you that "you already know this skill" and Change Item "Book of Ice" +1
(it only adds the book here because I cant get it to not consume it either way)
if you do not know this skill already,
Conditional is "Learning" state is on
if yes then change skill + "Ice 1" then
change state - "learning"
end branch
end branch

Am I doing something wrong?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Is there an else branch in there?

In any case, you could also use http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,24407.0.html

If you want to do it by events though, then I'm a little confused by the way you phrased your event. My first guess would be to have the common event like this - I would narrow down to which party member is learning the skill, so I would have one of these for each party member:

Conditional Branch: [Actor] is [Learning] inflicted
  Conditional Branch: [Actor] is [Ice] Learned

Text: Actor already knows Ice
  Else
    Change Skill: [Actor], + [Ice]
  Branch End
  Change State: [Actor], - [Learning]
Branch End

But it would have to be one for every party member. That might very well be what you are saying; I am not sure. If it is, maybe try putting 1 wait frame at the start.

Thank you MA. You are, again, my hero. I decided to use your script because, even though the event worked, the item kept killing me when I used it and I couldn't figure out why.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Maybe you ahd the item set to also inflict the state "Incapacitated"?

Either way, I'm glad you now have a solution.

I have to tell you, I like you guys here much better than over at http://www.rpgmakervx.net. I post the same questions to both boards and I usually get a much nicer response here AND someone here answers my questions. Over there I get "You can do it with eventing, don't you know anything?!" My answer is "Yes, but now a lot... yet"