RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Changing Troops Depending on Map Regions

pokeball TMSOfflineMale
Rep: +0/-0Level 82
Hello. I am making a game with a world map, but would like the player to encounter different troops depending on what area of the map they are in. Is there any way to use events to change the troops encountered on a map?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I'm sure there's probably a script out there that creates areas, but no way through eventing alone I don't think, other than making several copies of the same map and transferring the player through each area without fade.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
1) This isn't an RMXP Troubleshooting related problem. This part of the forums are for actual technical aspects. That's what troubleshooting is usually for. That applies here, too.

2) You'll need to use tileset terrain tags. Set the encounter areas to specific numbers for a map. Set a variable to the hero's terrain tag. Then run conditional branches to create encounters. I don't seem to see a "set map's encounters to" thing so you'll need to make small maps that have only certain encounters.

If you REALLY need some big map or something, you'll need to use random integers for every step you take so that it calculates whether or not you ran into a battle. Then, you use conditional branches to check what terrain tag you're on and give the proper battles.

Much props to one guy (I forgot who) who said terrain tags could be used. You could allow for more customization, but that takes more variables (like different rate of encounter in different areas). I used comments to separate conditional branches, but I didn't explain everything. Hopefully you can learn from this. If you can't learn, hopefully you can at least emulate. If you can't, this kind of system isn't for you :P Learn events a bit more (if ya need).

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Yeah, terrain tags are a good idea if you wanted to event it. Also, apparently there is a script and I wrote it :P I haven't used RMXP for a looong time ;9

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,17124.0.html

I like moo's suggestion though - eventing will give you a lot more control.

pokeball TMSOfflineMale
Rep: +0/-0Level 82
Thank you both for the replies. I'll check out both methods.

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
Well, the easier way is to create Areas in the maps adding the creatures that you want to appear there. I guess it is the easy way so far.
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Areas is a VX thing.