RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Screenshot Thread

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)

I mean a shade like this. Not necessarily light, but not #000000 either.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I think that looks really strange.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I'll have to agree with Irock. I think it'd work best halfway between those two shades. Maybe something like #292929.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
My terrible artistic sense is telling me RGB: 32, 32, 64

Rep:
Level 83
Look at me, runnin' and all
Project of the Month winner for August 2009
Maybe you could go for a little bit of darker green? :3 I also think Malson's version looks weird because of the background blue, so I changed that a bit as well:

- 

Rep:
Level 66
~RTP Princess~
Ooh! Ooh! I want a go too! :P

Seriously, though. Darker shade of the blue used - how mountains in the distance look blue-grey in color.

This reminds me of a certain game where you had small square people and you had to stack them. It was a platformer too. I think it was called Spic or Spik. Something like that (it was on the old RM2K4 board)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:26:44 PM by littlesatyr »

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I think we have a winner ^

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I think I'm going to go with black.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Far away things aren't black in the day time though. It looks unnatural

Rep:
Level 75
I agree with Malson the last one looks the best

Spoiler for:

Spoiler for:
John 3:16: For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
The one littlesatyr made was more or less what I intended, but was too artistically retarded to figure out.

Like I said I don't really care, it's not my game. It's just odd. It's like Kirby in the foreground, and Limbo in the background. Doesn't mesh well.

Rep:
Level 102
Far away things aren't black in the day time though. It looks unnatural
Okay. :lol:

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
All those were likely taken at dawn or dusk.

Rep:
Level 102

Rep:
Level 102
A silhouette occurs when the light behind an object is X times brighter than the light in front of the object. Obviously there's a lot of light on the other side of the trees out in the open and the camera side of the trees is dark because it's in a thick jungle/forest.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
But you can still clearly see the trees through the opening, so there's gotta be at least a little light hitting them. A pure black silhouette would only occur with next to no light. Your silhouette examples were black because the sun was directly behind the object. If the sun is directly behind your background trees, the foreground would be black too.

Rep:
Level 102

The players are going to love this.

Also, check out this cool realistic cave from my game.

But really, I've seen this done in games before. Especially in Mega Man 6 which I got the concept from ripped off. I think it looks horrible and too non-contrasting with any other shade and several people seem to think it looks good as it is. It's stayin' black, cowgirl.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
once you go black...

hey irock, I have one thing about your game. any chance you could make it so if you die and respawn at the save point and you're in the same area the music doesn't start over? i think it sorta throws it off especially if you keep fucking up on something near the start it gets to be jarring.

also ffffffff damage knockback in platformers.....
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 12:43:52 AM by Strike Reyhi »

Rep:
Level 102
once you go black...

hey irock, I have one thing about your game. any chance you could make it so if you die and respawn at the save point and you're in the same area the music doesn't start over? i think it sorta throws it off especially if you keep fucking up on something near the start it gets to be jarring.
I'm actually reworking the death to make it more interesting, but I don't think I want the music to continue. That's more of a thing that trial and error paltformers like Super Meat Boy do where you're supposed to die every three seconds. I don't think deaths would have as big an impact in games like Super Mario Bros, Cave Story or Mega Man if the music continued. It's like everything comes to a hault and then starts over again. I guess. I dunno. Whatever.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I'll say it because no one else will.

You're acting like one of the people we all bash, Irock. You have something you like, and a bunch of people tell you it would look better a different way. You get super-sarcastic, then you say 'fuck you guys, it's staying'

I looked at a few screens, and I saw that the colors in Megaman 6 in the level you were talking about were much brighter, which is why the flat black worked there better than it works in your game, where the colors are pastel.

So, to make it mesh better, your two best bets would be to change the black to a lighter color, or make the color more vibrant.
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>

If this is what you're referring to, then it makes sense because 1. there's far more detail, 2. the shadows are outlined in a way that shows the light is hitting them, even if only a little bit, and 3. black is a common shade in the other aspects of the scene, not just the background.

If not, then I dunno lol. I'm just saying flat black looks weird, especially when you compare it to like, the shadow on the trunk of the tree. But I think I've beat the horse long enough.

Rep:
Level 102
Sashikinaroji, I said I tried several shades before going with black because black looked the best. Assuming you're actually talking about saturation when you say "brighter", I don't see how a saturation neutral color (black) would look better or worse depending on the saturation of the rest of the graphics. That doesn't make much sense at all. If you're actually talking about brightness, then black would "make more sense" because it contrasts with the bright graphics better. If that's the case, then increasing the brightness of the black silhouette in my game would only make it less contrasting, defeating the entire point of having brighter graphics.

Malson, more detail in the tiles? I don't see how that would make a simple black background work better. I think it looks fine without the red shading.

I've changed a lot of things about my game upon the common request of players, but the only people who seem to think I should make my silhouette brighter are a few people here. I've had more people tell me it looks fine black, and amongst those people are good artists and game designers.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
It's no big deal. I'll agree to disagree. I honestly didn't think a wayside comment about background scenery would incite a riot, but here we are.

Do whatever makes you happy. It's your game, and I'm not going to boycott it or decide it's terrible because of a black background. I'm just being stubborn because I dont think I'm wrong.

edit: Before you think I'm fueling the fire again, I'm not. It's not about your screenshot, I just want to know which is more realistic. I think it goes without saying that your game isn't supposed to be anywhere near realistic anyway.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:41:04 AM by Malson »

Rep:
Level 102
The laws of light don't apply to the mysterious island you are on!!!!! !! !

But it's all good. We all see things differently mann.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
once you go black...

I'm actually reworking the death to make it more interesting, but I don't think I want the music to continue. That's more of a thing that trial and error paltformers like Super Meat Boy do where you're supposed to die every three seconds. I don't think deaths would have as big an impact in games like Super Mario Bros, Cave Story or Mega Man if the music continued. It's like everything comes to a hault and then starts over again. I guess. I dunno. Whatever.
I guess I can understand that, but in Mario you get a continue screen for a second or two. this you just sorta respawn like a trial and error platformer.  so it feels like the flow is being unintentionally broken. maybe just a "fade out game over fade in" would help it be less like a break in the flow. but hey it's your game.

(from here on down this is personal opinion and not actually critique as I understand it's not actually that difficult I just suck at indie platformers) I think quite a few of the jumps (specifically the one tile or death on either side jumps) in the demo are sort of dickish, especially with the knockback and the lava leading to dying over and over. I am not an indie platformer player and i know that stupid precision jumps are the "cool" thing but it's rather fucking obnoxious when I keep dying and having to hear the same 15 seconds of song over and over and over.