RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Screenshot Thread

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
a wise man once said,

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Hahahahaha I love it!!! In all seriousness though I go for nature and realism over.....well....that LMAO

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
you mean over playability?

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
My maps are 100% playable. its just the whole top down view that you have. you can walk under every tree like you can in RL and behind the majority of them to. Just because you can't exactly see the character for 20 seconds does not mean you have "poor" playability. People get mad at games when the character goes behind a wall because they ant see them - chill out and take a second to realize that - oh in real life that wall would be there.

Any ways - we should get back on topic

My final words on this are: I mixed realism in to the maps and because you can't see the character for what 10 seconds of your life while you go from one end to the other does not equate bad playability.

:D

Thanks for the feed back and input

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
and when someone gets stuck behind one of your realistic forest mapped trees and can't see where the fuck they are to get out they'll probably stop playing your game because it's just another rpg maker game.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
you don't need to swear....also the chances of getting stuck are slim to none. But hey im just the designer/developer/creator of the game what do i know?

Rep:
Level 71
Entity Humanoid Interface
Now that the minimap is gone let's address a few things you've mentioned:
- Clashing: I'm talking about the cave interior tileset, the xp tiles. The outer cave is toned down, so it doesn't clash but the interior cave, which is just randomly took out of XP tiles without any sort of edits, should NOT be used. Celianna tiles and Xp tiles have very different color feel, that anyone would notice.

- When I say you just throw stuffs to make a map, I mean it. It doesn't matter how much time you spent outside looking at the real world, if you wanna make a nice map, like a nice drawing, you have to know which detail should be included and which should not be. When I look at your map, I see a mixed pot of detail, in a map this small, overdetail will kill it. It's nice to look at a game's details and admire how much time the developer had spent on the map, but in a map like yours, I would just sprint through toward next map because all the trees and the plants actually hurts my eyes. It's not beautiful.

- And the pink tree, they are fine if they bring such purpose.
- One more thing I think I should address, that is your battle background, especially the battle screenshot you showcased. It ... it's just ... I don't know what to say except for "get rid of it". Games using maps as battleback only if the battle actually look like it took place on the map. A few random dudes flying on top of a mountain in a battle? I don't think so.
Or if you wanna keep as-is, at least get a battle floor. Think of Fire Emblem. Your current battleback is ridiculous :(

And regarding your reply to Strike, just so you know, what you know about the game is not what the player knows. You might know how to navigate through your maps, but lots of ppl might not, you can't tell for sure with so much detail. Besides, lots of bugs might popped up, which is totally out of your control.
So, a sarcasm like "I'm just the game maker what do I know" is not the smartest thing to say ;)
I support \\(>O<)b

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Some notes

• The battle backs will be staying
  • I doubt I'll change my mapping style as its very details and very well organized. How ever your input and feed back has been noted.
Thanks for the reply/feed back/comments
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:28:43 PM by Adrien. »

Rep:
Level 71
Entity Humanoid Interface
I support \\(>O<)b

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---

Your feed back was read. It was taken - Do not worry. We thank you for your time.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
Some notes

• The battle backs will be staying
  • I doubt I'll change my mapping style as its very details and very well organized. How ever your input and feed back has been noted.

If you didn't care what was wrong and right about your maps, why did you post it in a thread designed for rating screens??? I mean, what's the point?
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Oh and one last thing, unless everyone can fly in your game, you really should get some battlebacks.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I think the maps are pretty beautiful personally, and I think most of them are functional; the last map is the only one where I think navigation might be a problem for the user. However, I also think that, in-game, it would not be a big problem since the maps are designed in that platform style; any player should surmise that it was passable simply by virtue that there is something on the other side. I personally don't like that platform style of mapping he has developed, but it would make sense to analyze the functionality of a map based on the style as a whole - the primary reason a large visual barrier would frustrate me in a game is because it would be indistinguishable from other large visual barriers that aren't passable (since that is usually how 2D games like this limit map size). I could imagine it would be less of a problem where the mapping style largely eliminates impassable visual barriers.

That said, Adrien, you might want to consider designing an event system that allows the player to hold down a button to show an arrow above his head (and above everything else). Since it would be controlled by the player, the only time it would interfere with how the map is used would be when the player needs it. It would be a simple way to overcome the substance of these objections and would only interfere with the atmosphere you want to create when the player would otherwise become frustrated.

I agree that the battlebacks should be changed to at least include a Battlefloor. I also agree that there is a bit of clash between the dullness of the XP tiles and the vibrancy of the new ones, but I felt that was allayed by the dimness in the second cave (though I would agree there is clash in the first cave screen).

Anyway, it's ultimately your decision what goes into your game and, while it would improve my experience as a player if you follow them, feel free to reject any of these suggestions.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
seriously you're making a GAME not a PAINTING.

also sashiki, shut up no one likes you and you smell bad. take a shower once in a while.

I can tell how fat you are over the internet. Hop on a treadmill, thunder-thighs.
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
in the real world your going to have sections of bush where its like "Can i pass through that?" turns out you can.

The real world has width, length, and depth, or x, y, and z if you will. You're dealing with a 2-dimensional environment. All we have the work with is width and length, or x and y. In your fourth map, there are few visible paths, and at one point it looks completely boxed off. That is just bad design.

Not to say that your maps are bad, in fact I rather like them. More detail is always good in my book. But when the detail starts hampering the experience, well, then we have a problem.

That being said, good luck with your game. I personally would like to see the finished product. Just take it easy, dude. A lot of people here know a thing or two about mapping and they're trying to help. Listen to them and quit with the attitude.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
He wanted compliments.

Nope but thanks for insinuating such things.
  ::)

I think the maps are pretty beautiful personally, and I think most of them are functional; the last map is the only one where I think navigation might be a problem for the user. However, I also think that, in-game, it would not be a big problem since the maps are designed in that platform style; any player should surmise that it was passable simply by virtue that there is something on the other side. I personally don't like that platform style of mapping he has developed, but it would make sense to analyze the functionality of a map based on the style as a whole - the primary reason a large visual barrier would frustrate me in a game is because it would be indistinguishable from other large visual barriers that aren't passable (since that is usually how 2D games like this limit map size). I could imagine it would be less of a problem where the mapping style largely eliminates impassable visual barriers.

That said, Adrien, you might want to consider designing an event system that allows the player to hold down a button to show an arrow above his head (and above everything else). Since it would be controlled by the player, the only time it would interfere with how the map is used would be when the player needs it. It would be a simple way to overcome the substance of these objections and would only interfere with the atmosphere you want to create when the player would otherwise become frustrated.

I agree that the battlebacks should be changed to at least include a Battlefloor. I also agree that there is a bit of clash between the dullness of the XP tiles and the vibrancy of the new ones, but I felt that was allayed by the dimness in the second cave (though I would agree there is clash in the first cave screen).

Anyway, it's ultimately your decision what goes into your game and, while it would improve my experience as a player if you follow them, feel free to reject any of these suggestions.

thank you for your feed back and input. How ever as stated the battle backs will not be changing. the mini map system was in place to show where players could and could not walk - but after discussion in other forums where I am no longer welcome (but frequent) - I took out the mini map system. I also disagree on the clashing but again that's your opinion and that's cool too.

in the real world your going to have sections of bush where its like "Can i pass through that?" turns out you can.

The real world has width, length, and depth, or x, y, and z if you will. You're dealing with a 2-dimensional environment. All we have the work with is width and length, or x and y. In your fourth map, there are few visible paths, and at one point it looks completely boxed off. That is just bad design.

Not to say that your maps are bad, in fact I rather like them. More detail is always good in my book. But when the detail starts hampering the experience, well, then we have a problem.

That being said, good luck with your game. I personally would like to see the finished product. Just take it easy, dude. A lot of people here know a thing or two about mapping and they're trying to help. Listen to them and quit with the attitude.

I don't doubt they do.

-----

With all that said - espeially the last poster.

If I went through and took out all the things you guys hated, made the maps the way you say they should be made based on your own mapping style and how you think things should look, 1) I would never get anything done as I would be too busy trying to appease all of you and 2) The game would not be my own.

That being said I do appreciate the feed back and criticisms and weather it looks like i take it or not is up to you and how you read forum text. I do not come only for compliments, I come to see what people say and I experiment and try things out and play with new techniques and what not. How ever in the end - What I do with my game is what you do with yours, in the end you have to be happy with your product and you know that your doing something right when you have a few "haters"

with that said (again) - Thank you all for the criticisms, hate, flames, compliments, suggestions, ideas and what not.

Somethings that will never change in this game and should be better left to die:

• Battle backs - personally i think it gives you a unique way of looking at the world
  • General Mapping Style - It lashes, its overly detailed, its "not realistic" its "tiles thrown like a howler monkey throws feces" its what ever you want to call it - how ever, I did take not of what some people are saying and will apply some techniques.
Look forward to more maps and in game screen shots coming in the feature, mostly of the menu and character customizations.

Thanks For all your feed back, comments, concerns, criticisms, suggestions and compliments

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off

Battle backs - personally i think it gives you a unique way of looking at the world

Again I would like to point out that you do not appear to have battlebacks at all, instead opting to have your fight superimposed over the map behind it regardless of whether or not it makes any logical sense where your characters or their opponents are standing.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---

Battle backs - personally i think it gives you a unique way of looking at the world

Again I would like to point out that you do not appear to have battlebacks at all, instead opting to have your fight superimposed over the map behind it regardless of whether or not it makes any logical sense where your characters or their opponents are standing.

the map you see under the characters is the battle back

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off

the map you see under the characters is the battle back

so you see nothing wrong with this one douchebag chilling on the side of that cliff or the other people standing on a friggin' tree.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
no because they are "above" the map. like they have ben pulled out of the map an onto some plane above the map, many games have done this sucessfully.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
This is why the addition of a battle floor would be beneficial. It would look more like what you describe.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Why even post in this thread, then? I mean, anyone with part of a brain can see that the thread is for screenshot criticism. If you don't care what people have to say, why even take part? It doesn't make sense.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Thanks for your input - comments, questions and concerns - shall we get back on topic? k thanks :D

Small changes were made to the above map 

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
Thanks for your input - comments, questions and concerns - shall we get back on topic? k thanks :D

We are on topic, you moron... You're just trying to derail us from asking why you even bother posting here...

As a quick note, I would like to say that maybe you are not welcome at those other forums because you are an arrogant jackass who doesn't take criticism at all and that even if everyone told you the same thing and it was universally accepted that you should change something, you would say, "Well, thanks, but fuck off, because I don't want to change anything."

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
if i spent all day changing every detail about my maps they would never be mine, the game would never feel like i created it and i would never get any where. I appreciate all criticism and feed back. I have implemented some in my new maps. Lets try and be civil people - name calling is for 5 year olds.