RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Shining Force IV(It's Back give it another Chance!)

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Shining Force IV
Title by Comp0

SHINING FORCE IV IS BACK!!

Shining Force IV is a game thirty years into the future after the events in Shining Force II. The story is now a little different then it orignally was before but not SHINING FORCE IV is back and with a twist, but you can only find out by playing. But eventually the game will start when the new hero Mike is woken up and sent to school just like the hero is in Shining Force II. This is a strategy type game just like in the other Shining Force Games.

Now this game is very cliche like but it was made so it would seem like it was a game already in the series.

SCREENSHOTS

DEMO LINK

Comments please. Please Report Errors.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:03:02 AM by edwards64 »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
How do I get my game to do that?

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
Oh my god . . . .

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
fuck yeah looks fucking awesome bro

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
That's Gubi's TBS, and ewwwww please don't use anything that looks like Comic Sans as a font for your game :(
Other than that, I think you need to fix up your mapping and correct your title screen and all will be awesome :)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Just from my name, most can tell I'm obviously a huge Shining Force fan, so I have only one thing to say:

Spoiler for:
Well, I lied. I have a lot to say. But as I'm in a hurry I'll summarize my ranting.

NO ONE in the right mind will use Arshes as a main character like that, unless the game's a joke or parody. And the over abundance of RTP is bad. Very bad. What's worse is that what isn't RTP is a very badly done graphic. Also, the maps are horrible and mostly very empty. And lastly for now... 145mb demo? Most finished games are far less than that. No game is worth that much time to download.

And what do you mean, all comments are welcome this time if this is your first post? Have you posted a game here before?

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Once again . . .

Oh My God . . .

It's the only way to express my horrified face of the same points given by Zylos.

A. Yes i posted agame on here before thats why I said this.
B. I've never been good at mapping.
C. Have you played the game at all? Seriously Play the game.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
What game was it?

And hell if I'm going to download 145mb for a crappy looking demo with those screenshots.

It was called Fire Stone Legend of The Dragon Family. It did even worse then this one is doing already so i removed it.

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
A. Yes i posted agame on here before thats why I said this.
B. I've never been good at mapping.
C. Have you played the game at all? Seriously Play the game.

A) I Don't remember such game and if it was, it must be horrible

B) Doesn't matter, learn to Map, There are Tutorials to learn how to map. People don't care about much of Story or Gameplay, as the first thing everyone knows will look at is the Screenshots, they tell if it's worth reading plot & gameplay, otherwise, It'll just get bad reviews & be left out.

C) No one will play a Game that's 143mbs with Horrible Mapping & With Arshes in it. Period.

A. the game size is not getting bigger.
B. I don't know how to make mp3's smaller so that the file wont be as big.
C. I'm using a strictly Shining Force Soundtrack from the actually games.

Rep:
Level 83
I don't know how to make mp3's smaller so that the file wont be as big.
Well then you could look for the "midi" version for your songs, if there are any..   ::)
or sacrifice some MP3´s, I'm sure you don't need more than 5 soundtracks for your game if its a short one...how many songs do you need to fill up 145mb ??   ???

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 12:13:42 PM by Oracle games »

my problem is i have the soundtrack from one two and cd so i have planned on finishing then deleting whatever i didn't use. I probably could have and should have done it differently.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
That was a stupid comment and you can't write spoilers inside spoilers.

Resident 12-Year-Old Idiot
Rep:
Level 83
I'm not paid to understand any of this.
That was a stupid comment and you can't write spoilers inside spoilers.

Your right...
sorry.

All wisecracks aside, this does look good.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?

What, may I ask, is appealing about this project? The only remotely decent thing is the title screen.

Resident 12-Year-Old Idiot
Rep:
Level 83
I'm not paid to understand any of this.

What, may I ask, is appealing about this project? The only remotely decent thing is the title screen.

Here is the list:

He actually got the battle system right.

Shining Force is the best series of SRPGs ever, and this looks to be a decent enough revival

Here is the list of bad points:

Sprites... it's sad, really

Size... 10-20 normal RPGs would fit in that space

I would like to start with saying that the original shining force maps were large and open, kinda similar to my maps as sloppy as they may be. As for my game size yes I know it is a major issue of which I would love to fix sometime soon.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
@fuzzthedog - He's using the default Gupid Tactical Battle System script, with no changes whatsoever to the script by the look of it. Makes it resemble FF Tactics more than Shining Force, and not in a good way either. And just because he has the title Shining Force in his game does not make it a good fangame. The screenshots look terrible overall, for mapping, sprites, face graphics, and that little bit of dialogue. I'd hardly call it a good looking game.

@edward64 - I know I probably seem like an ass to you, but come on. Don't give me BS about empty maps, they were never that bad even in the original. Just look at this or this and look up some friggin' map tutorials or something.

And I'm asking you to look at this

and the fact that the town in the picture is so open is because Sapphire is supposed to represent that small of a town.

The thing that makes me mad about the file compression is I compressed it and it somehow got bigger?? Is this even possible?! Is there anything better then winrar.

He's using the default Gupid Tactical Battle System script, with no changes whatsoever to the script by the look of it. Makes it resemble FF Tactics more than Shining Force
Ya um... even Gupid hasn't been able to make it like Shining Force, yet. Trust me I know I've actually worked with Gupid on couple of the adjustments I made of. All of which were just tiny things.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:06:15 AM by edwards64 »

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
 Dear there are many graphical problems with this. Did you use Paint to rip and resize those window borders + facesets? It looks like it. Don't only use four letters in a name/class if you won't be using only four letters for stats too (Do not use KNGT in junction with Attack Power and Long Sword. That makes it pretty obvious you're going for an old-school approach but you're too lazy to change everything else and it lacks polish). I have a personal hatred against the certain font you're using here so no comments there. Your menu is a mess. What do you feel when you open it? The faces have disgusting white borders around them and they are way too big. Set a certain limit to them, like 48x48 pixels and stick to what with them all. Try making it a bit more pleasing to the eye. They create a terrible contrast with the player name and it's just a big mess. You might want to get some help with this if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. Won't bother saying anything about the ninja Arshes edit >_>;;

Do get rid of all the music you don't need. Or don't even include music in the demo, really. I don't really care so I'll download this anyway but many people don't like huge downloads as you've probably noticed by now. Also go through some mapping tutorials, learn what tiles goes where and so on. These are just my impressions of the screenshots so more will follow after I've actually played this game but this will have to do for now. Really people, don't just badmouth people for 'starting out'. We all do that and it's really unnecessary, give the poor guy a chance. Listen to MA.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 05:46:28 AM by Rasse »
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Sorry Rasse. I'm harsh with my criticism because it's a dear series to me, and I'm really put off by how bad the project looks for all of the more precise criticisms you and everyone has already mentioned, especially the maps with so many obvious errors. Even more annoying is the creator defending his project with excuses rather than trying to fix them. Whether it's harsh criticism or soft criticism, he needs to take it and work with it unless there is a very good and very specific reason not to.

Are there smaller music files that work with RPG MAKER then mp3's?? If so tell me please this could help me make a smaller compressed file.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Try using midis instead of an mp3s for your songs, and getting rid the ones you don't need in the demo.