RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Eventing Tutorial: Special Chests!

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
     In this tutorial, I will teach you (to the best of my ability) to make a special chest! Why is it special? Well, it forces you to read something that will give you a number password to open up the chest! The number will be assigned randomly so you can't just tell someone else the password and then they can open it. Okay... Here we go!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1: Making a map.

What we want to start off with is just a map to put our guy to start in and the events to go in. Here's mine (I used the Mine Town In tileset).
Spoiler for Step 1:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 2: Making our first event.

In this first actual step for our special chest, let's make a new event. This event will show the number for the password! Okay, choose a graphic (I used a bulletin and if you are going to use a bulletin, remember to tick "Direction Fix" in the event options so it doesn't turn into something different) and then double-click the eventing box to make our first event line.
Spoiler for Step 2:

Step 3: Setting up the event.

Here we will put everything in our first event. For our first portion, choose the option "Set Variables" or whatever it is called (I'm using legal so I don't know PK words). Choose a variable (use the first one) and name it something like "Password." Always make sure to use specific names. For our operation, we'll leave it at "Set." For our operation, make it do "Random" and in the first box type 0 and in the second box type 99. What this will do is it will choose a random number from 0 to 99 and assign it to the variable. Next, choose "Message" or "Show Text" and in the box type "\v[1]" (the \ is a backslash if some people have weird settings). This will display the data stored in variable 1. To change what variable to show, change the value in the brackets (the []). Our final step for this page is to turn on the Self-Switch A. After doing so, make a new page with the same things except only the "\v[1]" in the events and a pre-condition of self-switch A. That will make it so that the password does not keep on changing.
Spoiler for Step 3:

Page 1

Page 2
Whew, we're about half way done! Take a breather and save if you want (save is recommended).
Step 4: Setting up the chest.

This will make the chest. Basically make an event with a chest graphic and keep it on "Direction Fix" as well. The first event line will be a message that says "Password?" Then make a second event line that is "Input Number" (first page, first column, third option from the top) and set it to variable 2 and name it something like "Input." Choose the 2 digit option. In our third event line, make a conditional branch and set it to "Variable" in the first page. Choose if "Password" is Equal (nothing else) to "Input" (the two variables are interchangeable). In the "Else" area, just put a message display that says something like "Wrong Password." In the other area, make it do some regular chest stuff like give items and money, making sure that you give a message showing what you gave. At the end of those event lines, turn on the Self-Switch A. Make a new page and set the graphic to an open chest and with "Direction Fix" ticked. Put a "Self-Switch A" precondition. For the events, just write something like "The chest is empty."
Spoiler for Step 4:

Page 1

Page 2

And YAY! We're done! As far as I know. We shouldn't have missed anything.... I've tried as hard as I've could and I've hoped you've learned how to make special chests. Since I explained some stuff, I hope you learned about functions of certain events as well! Good luck on your games!

If Ham didn't taste like Ham, I would hope it tasted like turkey
Rep:
Level 88
>:O
That didn't take long. :P

Nice work.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Nice and easy
Great job :)

Rep:
Level 86
Nice although i should try because im in school and i cant download Rpg here.
Im a little confused because in postality knight has different text.