RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] Chord Progressions

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
What are good ways to make chord progressions? If I ever get the time, maybe I'll get some scale and pick out notes and stuffs but for now, what are some quick and easy ways?

I know that the chord the key is in plus the major chords of the sub-dominant and dominant notes and a minor chord of the sub-mediant make a good progression. Stuffs like that, I need ;-;

My music-lingo may be off (probably is ;-; ) but it was the shortest way to say stuff in a non-confusing way, I think...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:09:23 AM by irock »

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Well, a generic way is to modulate between chords.

I'm modulating in fifths for a piano song, it's simple but effective.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Modulate? ;-;

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Wikipedia is hard to understand. Can you dumb it down? ;-;

EDIT: I love you Halo. Is this a good example of Common Tone Modulation?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 12:41:54 AM by mastermoo420 »

Rep:
Level 87
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 05:56:39 AM by Pathbinder »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Well, considering I created and put up an example of modulation, it's not really needed. But thanks anyways for the faulty link :P

Rep:
Level 87
Eh, I don't know why the close parenthesis didn't become part of the link. ;9

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
chord progression is like you are lalala then you go wewewe but suddenly its a BAM BAM BAM.

Easy ways are not invented. You need to know how to change it and when. How in the since, not like lalalalalaweweweweBAMABAMBAMABAMABAMABA.

in some better ways and when is like...not in the very start/very end or something.~
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,16991.0.html

Check out lessons 7 and 8.
Maybe 6 if you want a refresher about chords.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Oh, thanks <3 I'll look into it soon.

EDIT: Okay, I get the whole diatonic stuffs and that's the more used one. But the away from diatonic progressions is hard... XDD
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 09:13:49 PM by mastermoo420 »

Rep:
Level 87
Things we fear the most have already happened 2 us
all the best chord progressions were already made.  So look them up and keep using them to make the GREATEST MELODY EVA!

my fav,,other than the unchained is the F,,G,,Em,,Am progression.
"If u'r about to die,,then think of how good ur life has treated u up to this point.  On the
other hand,,if life hasn't treated u good up to this point,,then take joy in the fact that
it's not going to bother u for much longer."

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
all the best chord progressions were already made.  So look them up and keep using them to make the GREATEST MELODY EVA!

You can't say "all the best chord progressions were already made." There are an infinite amount of progressions, a lot of them being unusable and dissonant (which is not what I'm looking for >_> )

If you find out all the chord progressions to ever exist and still say it, sure. I just don't want any opinions in here. My method of a root chord, diatonic chords of its 4th and 5th, and a minor chord of the 6th are the "progressions...already made." That's great and all but it's too generic. I want something different.

All pop rock is pretty catchy. But, the problem is, they all pretty much sound the same. Maybe a bit different vocals, different key, but they're all power chords, which makes them limited. That's why I'm looking for different chord progressions.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
a lot of them being unusable

Untrue. And you should learn to embrace dissonance; it's a beautiful thing.
:tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I'm not good enough to work with dissonance. Plus, with some radical chord progressions like C, Cmaj7, then into D or something like that would be just like bleh for me, and a lot of people, to work with.

"A lot," too is a very general word to start with, so :P

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D

No. Chord Progressions are not limited, like 5-10 or so. You can say that many good progressions have been made and he should see them (if thats what you meant) but you can't say that all of them have been made. ALso, using made up chord progressions ruins the point of self composing music.

There are an infinite amount of progressions, a lot of them being unusable and dissonant

I don't see how ;-; No chord progression in unusable unless you don't know how to use it ;-;

or watever

/zypher

Arlen is hot.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Idk, some are really really really dissonant and it's wrong to say it's "unusable" since there probably is one way but still. I guess you can say "a lot" are really hard to use.

Rep:
Level 96
I agree with Moo. There are a few progressions that are really, really difficult to use because they sound too dissonant.

Unless you're writing 12 tone or something...
...then it's acceptable.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Philip Glass can use them :V

Rep:
Level 96
lol minimalism

His Einstein on the Beach is just triads played over and over again. He's not really the person I'd bring into an argument about dissonance.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 10:08:04 PM by Arlen »

Rep:
Level 97
He does a lot of 12 tone stuff. Well, not a lot, but more than he should.

...I don't like Philip Glass ;9

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
It's okay Halo, one day we'll write something to make you like 12 tones... and Philip Glass.

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

Rep:
Level 97
I don't necessarily have anything against 12 tone pieces, just Glass. Most of his works are 4 or 8 measures repeated over and over and then another 4 measures repeated over and over. Then you go back to the first part and do it again. Some of his movie scores are ok and are actually closer to traditional movie music, but a bit more dissonant.

And lol at his minimalist stuff. If I had known there was money to be made in playing the same few chords over and over then I wouldn't have bothered trying so hard to write complex music :lol:

Rep:
Level 96
If you want 12 tone that is more bearable, check out Anton Webern, or Alban Berg.
Schoenberg is the father of 12 tone, and those are his two 'students.' But Schoenberg's music is really hard to listen to. Some of Berg and Webern's stuff is actually kinda neat. Some of it.

Like Berg's Violin Concerto, or Webern's Concerto for 9 Instruments.

Those are some pretty sweet pieces.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 12:17:26 AM by Arlen »

Rep:
Level 97
I will find them!

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I don't really get how 12 tone sounds good :P Or is it more of a musical marvel ?_?

Rep:
Level 96
I think most of it sounds like crap, but since I've taken an entire semester in music school about modern music, I can't help but know how to appreciate it.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Teach me how to appreciate. XD I'm curious.

Rep:
Level 96
I'd have to teach you about set theory, and retrograde inversions, and hexachordal combinatoriality, and then go into serialism with Karlheinz Stockhausen and Milton Babbit, and

bah

No.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Teach you to appreciate...

Well, listen to some crappy song and then say "Oh, this is good"

Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 96
Most people think 12 tone is just a bunch of random notes.

It's not. It's actually the most organized and NOT random music, well, ever.

If you haven't been taught set theory, you wouldn't know that.

And hence, you wouldn't appreciate 12 tone.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I remember something, like, 12 tone played backwards works out well, too.

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Think flight of the Bumblebee

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

Rep:
Level 96
Most 12 tone pieces use only 1 row. That is, a 12 tone row. These are sometimes chosen at random, and sometime's they are not.
They're called 12 tone rows because they use all 12 pitches. In a certain order.

You must use these notes in that order throughout the entire piece. Sort of.

You can also go backwards, from the end to the beginning, which is called a retrograded row.
And you can transpose.
You can use chords, if the notes in the chords are the next however many pitches that are in your row.
You can also invert the row. Say the first not is C and the 2nd is G. The inverted row would start on C and go to A instead. The same interval, opposite direction. Repeat for 2nd and 3rd, then 3rd and 4th, and so on.
Inverted rows can also be retrograded, making retrograde inversion rows.

So there's 4 kinds of rows that are derived from the original, the original, the reversed (retrograde), the inverted, and the retrograded inverted.
And all 4 of these can be transposed, so that's 4 x 12 = 48 rows you can use, just from the one you chose in the first place.

You can play more than one row at once, obviously, and you can switch hands or instruments, depending on what you're writing for.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
yeah I have a lot of trouble writing in 12 tone but i'd like to be able to. as for chord progressions I'm a fan of taking well-known ones and altering them or making them sound interesting. I'm starting to stray from that though, and picking up piano again is making that a lot easier for me, haha.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)

I played this on guitar and lol'd

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
triple post for example of what I mean by altering common progressions~

Rep:
Level 96
vi -> *7/vi -> IV -> iv

or in minor mode:
i -> vii* -> VI -> vi

I still think that's a pretty common progression, but, whatever.

Yeah, just look at the tab I made about that stuff, that I linked to in this thread ... and use it, lol.

edit: WAIT. I see what you're saying. Sorry, I'm tired.
Yeah, commonly that progression would just be, like, vi -> V -> IV -> IV, but you spiced it up etc...etc... time for bed...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 05:41:27 AM by Arlen »

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
yeah i'm not good at writing too far from what sounds "catchy." I mean, I could if I really wanted to, but it makes me feel uncomfortable.