RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Cliché 4 crystal RPG with a few twists?

Rep:
Level 81
Lately I've been contemplating starting a second project that is based upon the infamous 4 elemental crystals keeping the world's balance in order. Just, to make it a little more interesting, I wanted to add features like primary and secondary jobs, options to collect special items, open up a shop in a marketplace, gather materials to build a house and have a variety of side quests and small tasks to earn money or get rare items.

Should I go through with this idea? (If not now, then after my first project is completed? I know the common problems with working two projects at once)

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Everyone makes homages like that.
It usually just ends up sucking or not finishing.

If you think you can pull it off, go right ahead.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 81
I guess it's worth a try.

Rep:
Level 76
RMRK Junior
Hehe, im one of those people that attempted to make one of those games and quit... im not starting another... shorter project that should be to much of a hastle, the only problem thats pissing me off, is that RMXP keeps quiting on me.  :mad:
Now Your nightmare comes to life.

[RMXP] CRYSTaL KNigHTS: The First Dawn - 20%
[RMXP] White Ruins - 10 %

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
Fate is the present, not the future.
You're using RPG Maker. It's meant to have cliche with a twist storylines. However, a good point was made. Sounds like a project idea that's often dropped. It's a matter of dedication, really.

Rep:
Level 89
slate furry thing
I'm more interested in how you'll take the crystal concept, than any extra sidequests or the like.

Don't get me wrong, sidequests are good - but I'm saying what you've said here is kinda unrelated to the actual point you've raised in the topic title.

To as a note, I'm not particularly fond of the house building idea. It's a nice gimmick, but it should really have something you can get out of it. Like putting the house up for rent, getting in loads of cash or even stealing things from tenants you can't get otherwise. :3

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
As long as you don't cram it with empty gimmicks, I'll bite.

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
Fate is the present, not the future.
As long as you don't cram it with empty gimmicks, I'll bite.

Agreed, many games tend to just put in small gimmicks that aren't even that well blended into the game. Such as the house-building, it would need some large benefit, as well as actually be as interactive as the system will allow you to.

Rep:
Level 82
Men are born, then they're formed.
If you build upon cliches, and make it feel new again, you have something truly timeless.
I'll play it. :)

Rep:
Level 74
(Clever Pun Here)
Hello I new and i happend to notice the post and it sounds like a game i recently beat on the wii. its called Final Fantasy Crystal Cronicals: Crystal Bearers. Just make sure its not a copy
 :)

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior
Hello I new and i happend to notice the post and it sounds like a game i recently beat on the wii. its called Final Fantasy Crystal Cronicals: Crystal Bearers. Just make sure its not a copy

it's also FF like 3.

I say twist the concept on it's ear.
Big bad tries to take the crystals, they react and find 4 random people across the globe to enpower with Fire, Water, Earth, and Wind, but their new powers draw them together to protect the crystals but also make their personalities conflict, enter Heart, the 5 crystal warrior to balance them out.

Rep:
Level 74
(Clever Pun Here)
I FFCC its when one person disrupts the balance of the cystal prinsible.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...

it's also FF like 3.

Big bad tries to take the crystals, they react and find 4 random people across the globe to enpower with Fire, Water, Earth, and Wind, but their new powers draw them together to protect the crystals but also make their personalities conflict, enter Heart, the 5 crystal warrior to balance them out.

And when they all work together, they get a summon!

It's also like FF1, FF: Heroes of Light, and pretty much every FF before 7, actually...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior

it's also FF like 3.

It's also like FF1, FF: Heroes of Light, and pretty much every FF before 7, actually...

Well in FF 3 you could change jobs on the fly outside of battle (ironicly in FFx-2 you could only change jobs on the fly IN battle)

I was actually thinking each one would have a high level spell summon, then their would be combo summons, colminating in the 5 person team summon.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...

it's also FF like 3.

Well in FF 3 you could change jobs on the fly outside of battle (ironicly in FFx-2 you could only change jobs on the fly IN battle)

I was actually thinking each one would have a high level spell summon, then their would be combo summons, colminating in the 5 person team summon.

sigh... I understand if you want to be serious now, but when that happens, don't quote the posts that deal with Captain Planet jokes...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior
Except i was SERIOUS about using Captain Planet twisted into a RPG crystal set up, it has a good twist for 4 crystals