RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
XP vs VX

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
I'm not going to make a poll, I want intelligent discussion.

Why do you prefer one program over the other?

I personally use XP, and I expect to for quite some time. RGSS and RGSS2 don't seem to be very different, but there's much more RGSS material (3+ years worth). Frankly, I'm convinced all VX has is minor; I hate the RTP, and RGSS2 doesn't seem worth it.

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
After trying VX out now, I like both VX and Xp equal. Some of the graphics in XP rocks over VX though, but so far, i kind of like both equal.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
The question for me is if there have been any restructuring and optimization of the hidden classes. Work that can't directly be seen.
I would need to conduct some tests. How much more efficient RGSS2 is than RGSS will probably be the biggest factor in whether I will change or not.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
I think we should give VX some time to be honoust,
At the moment I just choose XP above VX

MONOCLE MAN
Rep:
Level 89
-::Gone::-
I really like XP more. Because since someone has released the English trial, well... You can't save, but it has nice looks. I think XP is more superior until VX is able to buy! Or is it...?

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
All whom sprite shall be gifted in the end...
I choose XP because clearly the graphics are better.
I won't choose VX untill I fully tested it.

Rep:
Level 88
VX's graphics are great, I like having the faceset thing back, and I like having more autotiles. However, XP has treated me just fine, and I think I'll be using it simply because I'm more comfortable with it.

Rep:
Level 86
I think VX is ok..,Its just like 2000&2003 and I really didnt like those that much,so i like XP Better. Xp Has some better Graphics And the icons are bigger,the only thing i dont like about XP is it dosnt come with a world map u can download but uhh Vx comes wit one -.-

Xp-9/10
VX-7/10

One of the best rpg maker xp games ever!Try it out!
http://www.quintessence-tbv.com

Is everyone just testing out the Japanese version of VX? Because as far as I know, there's no official English version.

From what I've heard, there are a few pros and a few cons, but nothing to get excited about. It seems that the tilesets are limited to only 5 sets total for the whole game, and the size of those sets is fixed... And it also looks like they took out the terrain tag, which is really useful in XP. On the up side, they bumped the graphic support up to 36 bits, which can be good or bad (I like the tilesets, I think they're spiffy). Though to be fair, I'll have to wait until it's released to give it a home or the boot. Heh.

Rep:
Level 86
Is everyone just testing out the Japanese version of VX? Because as far as I know, there's no official English version.

From what I've heard, there are a few pros and a few cons, but nothing to get excited about. It seems that the tilesets are limited to only 5 sets total for the whole game, and the size of those sets is fixed... And it also looks like they took out the terrain tag, which is really useful in XP. On the up side, they bumped the graphic support up to 36 bits, which can be good or bad (I like the tilesets, I think they're spiffy). Though to be fair, I'll have to wait until it's released to give it a home or the boot. Heh.

Yes,People are trying out the japanese VX. Well I am and if you want to try out heres a link http://www.rpgrevolution.com/rmvx/ theres also a Translator to translate it but they only got a trial and it dosn't save your projects Iv'e Been looking forever for a Serial For the full version But no luck :(.

One of the best rpg maker xp games ever!Try it out!
http://www.quintessence-tbv.com

Totalidiot
Rep:
Level 86
Nayr "Total" Infinity
Got the full one. It's pretty good, but too much like 2k and 2k3 with the accursed can't see your own character battle system.

XP 8/10 (needs more customizable options)
VX 5/10 (bad battle, short people.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 07:21:21 PM by totalinfinity »

Rep:
Level 88
I R 3V1L!!111!!1
Me, I must be the weird one. I like VX the all time best now. XP was great and all.

VX pros
New graphics
60 FPS
Face sets
Better scripting system
Much easier to work with.

VX Cons
1 custom tile set allowed
Character sprites are chubby and short
2 layers for mapping
Horrible RTP

Other than that. VX all the way for me.
*expects tons of flames*
lol

Rep:
Level 88
*yawn*
I'm starting to like VX, but XP is still a tiny bit better, with the improved graphics. The cutesy effect could do wonders with my baby cousins though  :lol:
The VX auto-tiles make it much easier to map, but much harder to do detail work. Same situation with the 2 layers only, and it gets kind of annoying to not be able to switch between the layers.
Other than that, I can't think of anything bad, except that they changed some of the titles on the events.

Rep:
Level 89
I haven't found any problems with VX, but I also haven't found anything that makes it better than XP. Xp came out earlier then VX, and because of this, it has more resources and support. Until the scripts written in RGSS are translated into RGSS2, there will be more scripts for XP. For now thats the reason why XP is better.

I honestly prefer XP, at least so far. VX has great graphics and that, but the fact that it makes so many changes to, say, charset structure makes customization a bit harder -- and I prefer XP characters. Also, I haven't fully tried VX yet so it's still early to prefer one over the other.

I prefer XP for now. Everything in VX seems blocky.
XP has more creativity involved. On the other hand, there's just something
appealing about VX, but I don't quite know what it is. I like how there are
"quick event" creations in VX too.

XP Pros
-creativity
-more resources (for now)
-better graphics IMO

VX Pros
-quick events
-dungeon generator is back
-really nice battle animations

Rep:
Level 86
I was playing with VX today, and it sucks...

• the rtp thing is appalling.
  • the tiling is really distracting, I cant make a map without accidently deleting all the tiles over and over, because they're all on the same damn layer!
  • It's next to impossible to customize everything as you could in XP.
  • maps look crap now, because the tilesets are so limited that you have to use then same crap over and over.
  • The system just hasn't been improved, a couple of minor adjustments is all that's been done, tis very dissapointing.
I'm not just going to hell...I'm taking over the management.

I think I prefer the different makers for different things.  Since I am not a panorama user, I am stuck using tilesets and whatever I can make out of them or leech from different sites.  So, I would use XP for things like a more serious project, while with VX with a silly or not so serious project.  In fact, I find VX a little more fun to use since I don't have to worry about making something completely OMG in terms of mapping.