RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
New here!

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
Hey there, I'm new here and and just looking at RPG maker all I can say is, OMG I FINALLY FOUND WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR!

I have so many questions and I hope you are all full of answers  :)

I can't downlaod RPG maker now but i can in three weeks once I get back to my normal PC, (occupation keeps me away from home for long periods of time)

Ok... question time,

Is RPG maker easy? learning curve estimate?

Can i put my projects online?

How long does it take to make a good game? a year? 6 months?

does it give you made materials or do you have to make everything from scratch?

Is it something I can update easily with little hasil?

I have lots more questions but I don't want to overlaod on my first post...

yours truely,

Charlie

<3
Rep:
Level 90
I'd be happy to try and help....

Is RPG maker easy? Learning curve estimate?
It'd take at least 2 weeks to get the hang of really basic things in the database and get the hang on events. However it many change depending on previous experience and if you have any help. Switches however may take more time to "master"

Can i put my projects online?
Netplay, it's a script.

How long does it take to make a good game? a year? 6 months?

It depends on what game you are making. A mini-game game could take 6 months while a RPG with heaps of features could take up to 2 years.

Does it give you made materials or do you have to make everything from scratch?

RMXP comes with RTP which are materials anyone can use.

Is it something I can update easily with little hasil?
Hasil? It depends what you are updating. If you change message systems you'd have to edit every message box however if you were changing a battler all you'd have to do is import it and change the desired Hero's battler.

~Winged

wow ty Winged!  ;D

I will try and give you a brief description of what i plan to make,

ahem,  :lol:

I want to make *to start with any way* a small world where The chracter runs around doing small task for the people around the village in exchange for coins/points/items etc...

I don't want to start massive becuase I know that i would fail if i went for something as big as runescape... bla bla bla... so nothing TOO demanding...

do you think that would be achieveable? considering i am a noobie... your opinions are much appriecated... thank you

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Hello and welcome, I would move this to the welcome section, but you seem to be asking a lot of things relating to RMs, so...

Ahh that sounds quite achievable, depending on how quickly you pick things up. I found things to be rather easy to learn, at least regarding the basics.  As long as you have a brain in there, it should be quite fine and it sounds like you've set yourself a real goal.

Hope this has helped, if you need to know anything else, just ask~ =)

wow... such a warm welcome...

let me explain some of my story *online*

Firstly.. I looked at game programmnig and after seconds of looknig into it I already knew making a game from scratch was going to be impossible...

Which took me to game maker... FOr about a week or two i researched that and looked around the FAQ and I was so suprised how un-user friendly it was... and also there official forum wasn't very.. welcoming...

Which brings me to here... and just by looknig over the posts.. I am impressed... VERY impressed... thank you all for such a warm welcome...

Charlie

<3
Rep:
Level 90
Try not to post too many topics at a time or bump continuously or everyone'll get mad =P

~Winged

1 thing i noticed alot around here about people making battling rpg is that when 2 chracters fight they go into a sperate screen, I am going to use Rune's Apocolypse game as an example *hope you don't mind* *hope this works*

Ok what i am getting at is that is there an option for just characters to fight without gonig into a seperate screen..

sorry if i am not specific, it is hard to explain

PS. Winged, I compeltely understand, I have a forum myself so i know the feeling. I will try to keep my fingers under control  :tpg:

<3
Rep:
Level 90
I think I get it...

You'd have to use an event and use the Show Animation and Move command a lot. There are a lot of games which have done that, the event however can get a bit big.

~Winged

surely i could copy and paste the script for each time combat takes place???

also, FYI i am not putting in combat in my first game... was just curious

<3
Rep:
Level 90
Ohh, I get what you mean. I thought it was as a cut scene. Anyway, there are heaps of battle systems around here. Look in the script database =D

~Winged

I have another question,

I don't really want to use ALL the RTPs so my question is, How do you make detailed non RTP's? do you use a specific program?

thanks in advance

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
It depends on what you are making. For some things, like tilesets, animations, and battlers, you need to be a good artist. There are some good generators out there for sprites though (http://www.backwater-productions.net/RMXP_CSG/index.php is my favourite). If you are not an artist, then your best bet for other resources is requests, or contenting yourselves with whatever stuff you can find.

thank you for the link, even though the generator is abit confusing...

can you offer anymore RPG maker sprite makers??

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I haven't kept the link to any more, because I like that one best, but I *think* there are more out there. What do you find confusing about the generator?

well i click on all the options, girl/boy, hair, clothes etc... but then I click save then I click open on the download bar and in photoshop it just comes up with a black blob... weird....

I found charas-project.net Is this what i am looknig for and do you reconmend it?

Rep:
Level 97
I was under the impression charas-generator is for RM2k3 sprites, but if it's not, then it will probably be good.

And that's a strange error. My sprites always come out fine.

Yea.. i was going to say, this charas generator isn't great, graphics wise, hmmm *deep thought* How many *estimate* spirites does RPG maker have do you think? are they customisable?? hmmm

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
You could make your own resources using Graphicsgale... I use that for some of my icons... and it's free! :D
Unless you already have photoshop...

And it's okay that you used my screenshot... it's good to see that my game is being noticed :tpg:
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

I have photo shop 5 but i have no idea how to use it.... does RPG maker come with a sprite maker? or cumstomisation?

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
No it doesn't :-\ ...
Google graphicsgale and download it... it might be easier than photoshop... :-\ I don't know...
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

<3
Rep:
Level 90
I go to many sites and just copy, save and take note of the maker so I can give them credit. My favs are:

www.phanxgames.com
www.phanxgames.com
www.phanxgames.com
www.phanxgames.com
www.phanxgames.com
www.phanxgames.com
...you get the point

~Winged

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

<3
Rep:
Level 90
OMG, I forgot about phanxgames.com!

~Winged

lol thanks... I have learnt lots from being here....

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Any more questions? I'd be glad to help :)
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Umm well my question is on the project forum, My topis is called, The Land Of All 4 seasons... I would love to hear your feed back if possible and ALL ideas are welcome. ;D

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Ahh... okay i'll check it out ;)
Sincerely,
Your conscience.