RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED]Questions- RMXP - Don't kill me!

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot...

I've been looking around and reading all the tuts and looking up specific things (Like quests, cutscenes and such) But most don't work for me.

I'm not sure if I'm reading the tuts wrong and being a complete idiot or if I have written down is right.

Also, I have a cutscene right before the title, but I don't know how to add an intro movie in the cutscene. Like I want my movie to start and then the cutscene happen. (Which is a few npcs talking) I read this one script that would let me play movies but it always gave me an error when I tried playing the game. Also the person who wrote it said to add movies to a directory "Movies" But I don't know how. I tried to go into the game files and add a folder named Movies, but it doesn't appear when I open up the resource manager.

Movie Script:

Code: [Select]
###########################################################
class Scene_Movie
#Created by SoundSpawn
#Fixed by Popper
#Instruction
#  1) Movies must in in a new folder called Movies in your directory
#  2)If you call this script from and event (EG:    Call Script: $scene = Scene_Movie.new("INTRO") )
#  3) Have fun playin movies with this script!!!

def initialize(movie)
@readini = Win32API.new 'kernel32', 'GetPrivateProfileStringA', %w(p p p p l p), 'l'
@movie_name = Dir.getwd()+"\\Movies\\"+movie+".avi"
main
end

def main
game_name = "\0" * 256
@readini.call('Game','Title','',game_name,255,".\\Game.ini")
game_name.delete!("\0")
@wnd = Win32API.new('user32','FindWindowEx','%w(l,l,p,p)','L')
@temp = @wnd.call(0,0,nil,game_name).to_s
movie = Win32API.new('winmm','mciSendString','%w(p,p,l,l)','V')
movie.call("open \""+@movie_name+"\" alias FILE style 1073741824 parent " + @temp.to_s,0,0,0)
@message = Win32API.new('user32','SendMessage','%w(l,l,l,l)','V')

@detector = Win32API.new('user32','GetSystemMetrics','%w(l)','L')
@width = @detector.call(0)
if @width == 640
fullscreen
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
fullscreen
end

status = " " * 255
movie.call("play FILE",0,0,0)
loop do 
sleep(0.1)
@message.call(@temp.to_i,11,0,0)
Graphics.update
@message.call(@temp.to_i,11,1,0)
Input.update
movie.call("status FILE mode",status,255,0)
true_status = status.unpack("aaaa")
if true_status.to_s != "play"
break
end
if Input.trigger?(Input::B)
$scene = Scene_Map.new
break
end
end
$scene = Scene_Map.new
end

endFAQ

What I put in Scene_Movie:

def initialize(movie)
@readini = Win32API.new 'kernel32', 'GetPrivateProfileStringA', %w(p p p p l p), 'l'
main
end

def main
game_name = "\0" * 256
game_name.delete!("\0")
movie.call("open \""+@movie_name+"\" alias FILE style 1073741824 parent " + @temp.to_s,0,0,0)

if @width == 640
fullscreen
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
fullscreen
end

status = " " * 255
loop do 
sleep(0.1)
Graphics.update
Input.update
break
end
$scene = Scene_Map.new
break
end
end
$scene = Scene_Map.new
end

end

And then the error I get:

Spoiler for:

I'm sorry if I don't make sense or sound very noobish.

Quest:

Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:

I don't know if I did that right...Also, how do I have her leave the screen (As if she was going back to the town) and then disappear. Then when I come back to the town, she's there next to him and all of what happened before doesn't happen again. Like if I go back to the forest and she's standing there again.

Also, how do you add pictures/names to messages so you know who's talking. I looked up a tut on this but it was extremely confusing.... (Letter by Letter - Season In The Abyss )

*awaits arrows and pitchforks* =X

Please help me, anything would be great. *dies*
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 06:48:19 PM by Exer1 »
Current Game: Riokan Stories: Rogue Adventures
Progress: 0.7% done
My Forest Town Exterior Tutorial

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
no need to expect someone to kill you or attack you xD

everyone is the awesome around here <3
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

no need to expect someone to kill you or attack you xD

everyone is the awesome around here <3

Haha, thanks :)

I said that cause when I read other new people posts, some users went crazy on them and stuff. So I was like :X utoh.

The tutorials are very helpful, some just get a lil confusing...

Also this is my first time using RMXP, I used to use RM2k3, but then after a year of making a game, it all got deleted cause my comp crashed....:( *hated it*

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Oh, can you redo your scripts with a [ code] tag? It helps a bit more. :P

Kays :) Hope it helps.

Do you guys know what I did wrong?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Erm... What's line 52? It could be different for people. Also, I probably won't be able to help you but this will help others to help you. XP

Rep:
Level 87
You've got an extra end in there.  But the REAL problem is that, in leaving out the initial comments (which IMO should ALWAYS be included for a number of reasons), you also left out the all-important
class Scene_Movie
line, which is what that end should match.

Including the comments means you don't have to look up anywhere to find how to call it, or how to set things up - it's always there.  Also means you know who to give credit to in your game for using their scripts, as well as a clue if you want to go looking for the script again in case you have troubles or want to check for updates.

In your game folder, along with Data, Audio and Graphics, create a Movies folder, and put your .avi in there.  You don't need to be able to see it in RMXP - you don't import it or anything.

Using the original script, and putting the call onto an NPC, I got this working perfectly.

----
For your quest, using more switches (including self switches - called local switches in your screenies) will allow you to make her disappear then come back later.  There's a Set Move Route on the second tab of events where you can make her look as if she's walking away.  Then set a self-switch or an ordinary switch (or use a variable) on, create a new event page with no image and conditioned by that switch/variable (so when it's on, there's no graphic), then another event page conditioned by a new switch or the same variable with a higher value, with the graphic back there again - this switch or variable will be set up when he next walks into town, so she'll reappear.  Hope I explained that alright.
------------

can't help you on the pictures with dialogue sorry - I've never looked at that script, but I believe many people use it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 01:11:33 AM by shaz »
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.

Thanks for the help :)

But when I put the movie script and everything, the movie won't play. Do I replace words in the script or something?

Also, I wanted her to appear somewhere else, instead of the same spot...so should I just make a new event and put her sprite there? And then for the quest even, make another page and then turn the switch off?

Also when I do what you said she just stands there and doesn't move and when I use the action key, she doesn't talk...

this is what I have on her:

Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 01:57:26 AM by Exer1 »

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
If you still need help for making a quest, read this tutorial!
Yami's tut
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Hahaha, already read it, and even bookmarked it before :D

I'll re-read it! :D Thanks

I'm very confused now...Sorry =(

Everytime I try doing what both says, I try having her walk away and then disappear, but she always disappears before walking away...how do I change this? I also don't want the same event to reappear ever again.

Rep:
Level 87
Ah, I see what you're doing wrong... when I say the event page should be conditioned, I mean to use the Precondition settings in the top left corner, not to add a condition command.

where you say Switch[002 Find Kira Quest] = OFF, add a line before with Wait for Move's Completion (command on the second event tab)
where you say Switch[001] = ON, change that to set a local switch on (your version of RMXP is different to mine, so I'm not sure of the exact wording).
On the page with the blank graphic, where you don't want her to appear, use the local switch as a condition in the top left corner: Preconditions - Local Switch ..... is ON
If you want her to disappear and then turn up again later in another spot, you could either add a third page of events, conditioned by a switch that will be turned on at the time you want her to appear, and have her move directly to the place you want her to appear, or you could just create a new event at the right location and have it conditioned by that switch - so only one of these events will appear at a time.

re your movie (this really should be in 2 or 3 threads - too confusing trying to solve multiple problems at once).  Can you post the line that calls it, where you say what movie you want to use?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 02:48:36 AM by shaz »

Haha sorry =(

(the quest thing worked- thanks :D)

Umm I'm not completely sure which one it is buttttt...

There's this one:

then there's this one:

Rep:
Level 87
No, that's not what I meant.  Where in your game did you actually tell it to play a movie and give it the name of the movie to play?  Here's what I suggest... 

Get rid of the modified script you added, copy and paste the original script in its entirety, just above the script called Main.  That's all you have to do in the scripts window.  Now go back to your map and wherever you want to kick the movie off.  I just used an NPC and Action button - you might want to try something similar and get it working first before you try and incorporate it into a cutscene (just reducing the things that could be causing problems).

On your NPC, add a new event command:
Call Script: $scene = Scene_Movie.new("INTRO")
it should look exactly like that, except instead of INTRO it should be the name of your .avi file  - without .avi - so if your file is myintro.avi you'll say $scene = Scene_Movie.new("myintro")
The Call Script event command is on the third tab of events.

And make sure the movie file (myintro.avi for example) is sitting in the Movies folder.

Now I'm getting an error with the last line.

This is what I have in the Main script.

class Scene_Movie
#Created by SoundSpawn
#Fixed by Popper
#Instruction
#  1) Movies must in in a new folder called Movies in your directory
#  2)If you call this script from and event (EG:    Call Script: $scene = Scene_Movie.new("INTRO") )
#  3) Have fun playin movies with this script!!!

def initialize(movie)
main
end

def main
game_name = "\0" * 256
game_name.delete!("\0")

if @width == 640
fullscreen
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
Graphics.update
sleep(0.1)
fullscreen
end

status = " " * 255
loop do 
sleep(0.1)
Graphics.update
Input.update
break
end
$scene = Scene_Map.new
break
end
end
$scene = Scene_Map.new
end

endFAQ

begin

# This variable determines the default font type
  $defaultfonttype = "Tahoma"
  # This variable determines the default font size
  $defaultfontsize = 22
  Graphics.freeze
  $scene = Scene_Cutscene.new
  while $scene != nil
    $scene.main
  end
  Graphics.transition(20)
rescue Errno::ENOENT
  filename = $!.message.sub("No such file or directory - ", "")
  print("File #{filename} not found.")
end

Rep:
Level 87
there's a line there that says endFAQ.  FAQ shouldn't be there - no idea why it was in the original.

And I didn't mean to put the code IN the script called Main - I meant to create a new script, directly above the one called Main, and put it in there.  Make sure you give it a meaningful name.

Maybe comment out the cutscene stuff from main for the time being and use an on-map event for the call.  Just until you know the movie is going to play.  THEN you can try and figure out how to incorporate it into your cutscene.

Question - IS your movie going to be your cutscene?  Or will the cutscene consist of other things in addition to the movie?

It's going to be a cutscene and a movie in addition to it...

Also, does it play .wma or only .avi? And if it only plays .avi are there any converters?

Also, it freezes my game whenever I start it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 03:34:04 AM by Exer1 »

Rep:
Level 87
well, I tried a wma and it worked, but it was a music file, not video.  It played the music.

You could try it.  Replace the initialize method with this:
def initialize(movie, extension)
@movie_name = Dir.getwd()+"\\Movies\\"+movie+extension
main
end

and put the following in where you want to play it:
$scene = Scene_Movie.new("Amanda", ".wma")
obviously using your own file and extension names.
I left them separate just in case the filename was needed elsewhere - I didn't check this at all.

Re the freezing game - it freezes it while the movie plays.  There is a Graphics.update and Input.update in the loop, but not sure whether that's supposed to do what I think it's supposed to do.   Is it a movie you're playing, in which case it's ok that the game freezes until it's over, or is it just an audio?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 03:55:11 AM by shaz »

Everytime I try it freezes completely. I've changed the .wma to .wmv as well and it still did the same.

Do I need to replace any words in the movie script?

Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 87
only the initialise method, which I gave you up there.

How big is the file you're trying to play? Are you saying it's not only freezing the game so you can't play it, but it's also not playing the movie?  Did it work when you were just using an avi?

Kay, when I converted it into an AVI, it played. But it first showed the map, then played...also, it then just froze my game afterwords.

I just changed it around a bit, put the video in the cutscene, changed the scripts a bit, and it works :)

Anyways, thanks for all of your help!! :D

Should I just post a new topic about the characters name in message thing?

EDIT:

Say if the game loads and the movie and then the cutscene plays, is there a way that if you press the action key, you can just skip it all?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 04:31:31 AM by Exer1 »

Rep:
Level 87
might just need a little reordering of things to make it all show in the correct sequence.  Glad you got it working though!

For showing someone's name in a message you can use
\n[#]
where I think # is the order in the party.  But I think you want something like the messaging script where it shows the name in one of several different formats, and you have the option to show an image as well, right?  I'd suggest you either start a new post for that problem, or even find the post that contains that script, or a link to it, and see if others have posted anything that helps you, or add your question in there if that's what others have done.

What's the problem - you just can't get it to work?  Do you have a link where you got the script from?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 04:32:53 AM by shaz »

Not sure what you mean in the last sentence...

but this is the link to the letter by letter: Name thing:

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7035.0.html

Everything else worked tho.... :)

Thanks to you! :D

Rep:
Level 87
ok - I got the letter by letter script, had a little play with it, seems to work ok.

What are you trying to do, and what is it doing, or not doing properly?

Idk what SDK stands for and what it does.

Do I need it?

Rep:
Level 87
SDK is a development kit that a number of scripters have put together - I've only used it myself once or twice, so it's a huge mystery to me still.

For this script, you don't need it, so you can go ahead and follow the instructions that post gives to remove the SDK dependency.  I suggest you just comment out the 3 lines (that "end" is the very last one in the script) rather than deleting them, just in case you have other scripts in there that need it or, more likely, decide you want to use a script down the track that needs it.

I just used it and it didn't work...like idk what happened. When they were talking it didn't show their name or text.

Rep:
Level 87
in an event, action button...

Show text: \name[Susan] Hi Aluxes, what have you been up to?
Show text: \name[\n[001]] Hi Susan, just fighting goons.  Not much else.

The first one will show the name Susan in a box above the message.
The second one will show the name of your first party member in a box.  I could just have easily said \name[Aluxes] but sometimes you don't know who's going to be first (in this case I should have also put \name[\n[001]] instead of Aluxes in the first message.

Your new script should have been inserted into a new slot just above Main (not INTO the Main script - create a new script above that one, give it a name, and paste your new script in there).  If you put it above all the others, then it wouldn't have redefined the normal message window.

If it doesn't work, I need you to post 2 screenshots.  First go into your scripts database and scroll down through the scripts so I can see where you inserted it - take a screenshot of that.  Second, go into the event where you've got the messages that should be displayed, and take a screenshot of that.  Post them both up here so I can see.

Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 87
Well, I don't know.  I put in the same stuff you have, and it works properly for me.  I even changed my event to parallel processing and it still works.

Do you use the Postality Knights edition?  I have no experience with that but I was just helping someone else with a script who said PK has some issue with text not appearing.  Maybe you should search up on that a bit.  There's nothing wrong with your event as far as I can see, and your script looks like it's in the right spot.

Sorry - I'm a bit lost from this point.

I have the PK edition cause I couldn't get the regular one :(