RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
FE Arena (help welcome)

Rep:
Level 87
this is my first attempt at game maker, and i'm only learning it right now, so this project may take a while, but here it goes:

FIRE EMBLEM ARENA
   For a while now, i've been thinking of making both a Fire Emblem style game and a fighting game like SSB. (super smash bros.) Games like SSB almost never get boring due to the fact that there is no ending storyline or completely "beating" it. As long as you can't beat a lv. 9 computer or you just can't beat that one you know who's good at the game, you have challenge and a reason to play. Also, if you really think your now invincible and have done everything, you can still pound a player or two whenever your bored or angry.

This is why I'm starting Fire Emblem Arena, (name may change if this goes anywhere) a 2D fighter using the characters of FE7 (Blazig Sword). I hope this game won't take too long, and that i'll be able, eventually, to make it a MMO game.

PROGRESS
   Right now, i'm just typing out the basics and laws of the game, and i'll soon be starting on graphics. I have music and sound fx at the ready. Screenshots will be available as soon as i'm done with a few sprites. Since I'm completely new to GML script I'll be using Games Factory to simulate game play.

If anyone is interested in helping this along, I'm looking for:

GML scripters (since i don't know S#!$ at the moment)
Motion Spriters
Scene Spriters / Makers

-also, if your not interested in being a team member, but still would like to give an opinion on the game,  suggestions are open, and I'm looking for votes on which characters should represent each class (ex. Raven IS going to be the mercenary player in the game)
The polls for this are here: (don't view if you don't want unlockables spoiled for you)
Spoiler for:
Winners are in bold.
If someone wins in promo and unpromo, runner-up wins)
Please use gamefaqs.com for info. on these people
Poll will run for 5 days

Lord / Master Lord
Roy

Lord / Great Lord
Hector

Lord / Blade Lord
Lyn

Knight? (not sure if i'll include this)
1. Oswin
2. Jon (a sword using knight)

General
1. Oswin
2. Wallace
3. Darin

Mercenary
Raven

Hero
1. Harken
2. Linus

Fighter
1. Dorcas
2. Bartre
3. Batta

Warrior
1. Dorcas
2. Bartre
3. Geitz
4. Oleg
5. Brendon

Pirate
Dart

Berserker
1. Hawkeye
2. Fargus

Myrmidon
Dart

Swordmaster
1. Karel
2. Karla
3. Lloyd

Thief
Matthew

Assassin
Jafar

Debating other classes right now...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 08:01:29 PM by da good king »

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Lemme just say something right now: Unless you are comfortable with working an ASSLOAD of variables simultaneously, and doing a LOT of algorithms, I suggest dropping this now, and starting with something far similar. And you're gonna need a lot of help on GML.

I would say hold off on this.

Rep:
Level 87
simpler, you mean?

hmm...well I was already thinking of using Games Factory at one time, the only problem being that GF lags like hell with even the SIMPLEST programs...and the the conditions/effects are terrible in terms of flexibilty. Custom characters, which i was hoping for, wouldn't really be possible...i don't know, maybe XP's ruby script will work better?

Rep:
Level 96
*slaps forehead*

Damn my typing. Yes, simpler, sorry.

And yes, you can do this in game maker, and GM can handle it easily, I'm just saying, get ready to do math, no matter what editor you use. Its in the nature of the game type.

Rep:
Level 87
oh! I thought you were saying this would be hard in GM because of coding! Math and making formulas is my strong suit actually, and that's what I've so far started with. Yeah, I figured I'd need scripting help, but I don't know if I can post this in the Recruiting forum. RM only i think.

That's why I'm looking for scripters here. Seriously, even novice help is welcome, since I'm practically less than that in GML script.

Above all, I actually wanted to start this with RMXP, hence me posting in this forum, but I'm not a good Ruby scripter either, and crappy Vista won't let me test in RMXP!!! I may move this to RMXP, if I can find the proper scripts, or at least a basic platformer script to start off with.

Rep:
Level 88
wrath of winter
Hmmm...well...I'd offer my spriting service if I wasn't at an all-day job.  True all I do is [retty much sit in front of a computer, but said computer can't handle the simplest image editors, though it's Windows 2000.  All I can do is browse the internet while I monitor HPLC machines running samples.  Getting money for college sucks.

I could wait a year and get full tuition coverage cuz Dad works for the unversity's medical research, but my parents want me at college this year and won't allow me to stay at home.  I'd probably be accepted had I not been delayed because of the move this summer...I wanna get back to GM but between work and chores...

Anyway, aside from my personal self-pity...I'd love to help cuz I LOVE SSBM.  I could try my hand at a few sprites but I'm wrapped up in stuff...I'll post something if I can.

What are you looking for, exactly?  Can you post some example sprites/images?

Want a personal sig like this? Ask Firerain:
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,20203.0.html

Rep:
Level 96
Oh, oh! Its a smashbrothers thing! I thought you were making an actual fire emblem type game. You should be fine then!

Rep:
Level 87
heh...yeah, FE would be REALLY hard in Game Maker, since it doesn't even start off with tile motion. No, this is SSBM type game.

Rep:
Level 88
wrath of winter
I've been making a minigame similar to platform fighters...ever heard of nuklearpower.com?  I thought it'd be cool to make a platform fighting game with the characters of the comic, but it was REALLY hard...acullay it still isn't finished...I've been looking for help with the NPC AI. 

Good luck with this.  I already PMed you about the graphics issue...hopefully between work, chores, and other crap life throws at me I can get at least SOMETHING done.

Want a personal sig like this? Ask Firerain:
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,20203.0.html

Rep:
Level 87
AI is going to be very difficult. I've been thinking some of it over, but not that much. Spriting is the prime concern right now, we need the blocks to build.