RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Should any country in the world be spending money on Space Exploration?

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
The Hated One

I feel that Space Exploration is not needed, and money that is used on it could really be going to other things.
Legacy: The Gatekeeper- Demo 2.0 Now Avaliable

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
I reckon it should be used yea because it is a scientific fact that the sun is getting hotter and soon it will be too hot to live on earth so we muct travel to places in "Space" (why is it called Space anyway?)
So the explorers are just looking for whats best for the worlds people.
I bet they didnt think that traveling around the world was needed and now look!
Its alot better than it would have been if they didnt.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Don't be ignorant, kid. We NEED more room. This world is all ready becoming too hot, messy, and populated. Not to mention we can't stand the site of each other half the time. Eventually, we're just gonna have to, well, LEAVE.

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?
the population of the earth is 6.5 billion and growing rapidly.  there is a hole in the ozone layer, the ice caps are melting, we are running out of natural resources, and the earth is so polluted (particularly the air) its no longer healthy to live on.  though we are still GENERATIONS away from being able to live on other planets as of now, it really is a race between the extinction of the human race as earth goes kaput and us living in space.  fun.
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text

YEAH how cool would it be to live in "Space"

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!
Meh. I think space exploration is valuable.

We might be able to link the beginning of life to extraterrestrial objects.

I don't really think the earth is really in that bad of a condition right now, but at the exponential rate at which the human race is growing, we're going to need more room to accommodate a much larger population. There's a chance we could terraform another planet- Mars, for example- and turn it into a place like earth in only a few thousand years, especially considering that there might even be flowing water there. Let a stronger atmosphere develop, drill for water, throw in plenty of trees and implant an artificial ecosystem, and you'd have a pretty great little colony planet.

Then think of all the geology and chemistry that could be done. Who knows if there are undiscovered elements just waiting to be mined or not?

And, all in all, we're just another species struggling to maintain our existence. We may be the smartest, most resourceful, and best evolved animals in the world, but we are still just animals, and we are still only the best in our world. Space exploration would definitely give us an upper hand in being the best interstellar species, yeah?
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
The Hated One
Right but waht you have to think about, is the fact that as a whole the Earth has spent Millions and Millions of dollars on Space Exploration, and how far have we goten people on the moon and a couple of Shuttles through space. The problems that were currently having like pollution can most likely be fixed with more money towards the problem and if we stop space exploration we can use that money towards those things.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
The Hated One
Don't be ignorant, kid. We NEED more room. This world is all ready becoming too hot, messy, and populated. Not to mention we can't stand the site of each other half the time. Eventually, we're just gonna have to, well, LEAVE.

Two things, even if I was a kid which im not (im 17) I could still have an Inteligent Disscusion, and two do you know how hard it would be to get people into space, not only billions of dollars would have to spent, not only hundreds of years, but do you really think that everyone would be able to take a launch into space, most astronauts go through intense training, if we did go into space many would die and we would lose the same amount of people to space as we would to pollution and other things.

Rep:
Level 89
but no matter how much money u have, u can't solve overpopulation, unless maybe u spend it making an extension to the earth somehow....uh...

and as far as money goes, more like trillions have been spent, not millions.  just so u know.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

Rep:
Level 89

Two things, even if I was a kid which im not (im 17) I could still have an Inteligent Disscusion, and two do you know how hard it would be to get people into space, not only billions of dollars would have to spent, not only hundreds of years, but do you really think that everyone would be able to take a launch into space, most astronauts go through intense training, if we did go into space many would die and we would lose the same amount of people to space as we would to pollution and other things.

back in the first days of air travel, only people with certain endurance and intelligence would be able to fly.  now a days u can just buy a ticket and take a plane anywhere.  it's all a matter of waiting for a technology that makes space travel less intense.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
The Hated One
So in your opinion do you think that by the time we are that far in technological advancements that we will still have time to leave. I feel that by that time the Earth would have already been destroyed from one of its many everlasting problems.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
Fix pollution how? No amount of money will repair a damaged ozone layer, the things we like to burn for fuel are causing the hole to get bigger and bigger, and not many people are willing to invest in alternate power sources.

We should spend money on improving the environment, but space exploration is still valuable.

Rep:
Level 89
So in your opinion do you think that by the time we are that far in technological advancements that we will still have time to leave. I feel that by that time the Earth would have already been destroyed from one of its many everlasting problems.

well once people stop denying the problems and when we get close enough to our own demise we will pick up how fast we're working on this and advance quicker.  but thats why earlier i referred to it as a "race."

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
Right but waht you have to think about, is the fact that as a whole the Earth has spent Millions and Millions of dollars on Space Exploration, and how far have we goten people on the moon and a couple of Shuttles through space. The problems that were currently having like pollution can most likely be fixed with more money towards the problem and if we stop space exploration we can use that money towards those things.

But what you also have to think about is that there has always been a large population, poor people, and other things like that. Right from the dawn of mankind, and how far have we gotten in fixing the amount of poor people?
Nowhere. We have been having attempts at fixing these problems for thousands of years and there are still millions of people out there living on the streets, whole villages of people starving in africa.
Theres not really anything we can do.
There will forever be a large population and poor people,
so why not try to advance our intelligence on the universe
and maybe we will find something.

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
Two things, even if I was a kid which im not (im 17)
Seventeen is still a kid.

Also, as much as I'd like to see the damages in the environment repaired, I don't see that happening to any large degree. Furthermore, what kind of ecological doom scenario do you have in mind here? The earth is on no fast track to destruction, as far as I can see.

More relevant to space exploration itself, Djangie raises some intriguing points. I'd very much like to see Mars colonised (not, of course, that it would happen in my lifetime :( ). Sigh, maybe cryogenics will allow me to travel to Martian settlements one day.
Quote from: Elegy
It's fucking sad that you and the cat can't stick to the subject and even attempt to defend your little bullshit religion without jumping to personal attacks, maybe thats because evolution is such a stupid idea it's hard to back it up with any claims pertaining to reality.

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Wisdom is not bound by age my friend. ;)

I say go for the exploration. God gave us mountains to climb, we should climb them.

God gave us space, why not explore it? Learn a thing or two about the place we live in.

I learned the other day that there's planets with three suns that have conjuntions. It's pretty cool actually.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
That isn't what I implied. I think teenagers who say 'I'M NOT A KID I'M X-AGE' are silly and obviously insecure about their age. Which is in turn silly in it's own way.

I say go for the exploration. God gave us mountains to climb, we should climb them.

God gave us space, why not explore it? Learn a thing or two about the place we live in.
DON'T FORGET OUR GRACIOUS AND LOVING GOD ALSO GAVE US A DEEP, DEEP OCEAN OF LOVE FOR US TO DIVE IN!
It's fucking sad that you and the cat can't stick to the subject and even attempt to defend your little bullshit religion without jumping to personal attacks, maybe thats because evolution is such a stupid idea it's hard to back it up with any claims pertaining to reality.

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Exactly!

Aren't the depths of the ocean beautiful?

EDIT : I apologize for assuming that's what you implied. I myself am 15, and having been put into legal situations (parental rights -- involving my mother) where everybody looked down on me like I'm a two year old.
In fact, the judge described me just like my mother, I almost punched her.

@Mom - If you're reading this and you know it's me, I will apologize for telling others, but this is how I feel.

My life has been Hell for years. It's hard to explain.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 01:27:11 AM by Tsunokiette »

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
I'm afraid to jump! All these people who go too deep end up drowning!

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
I'm afraid to jump! All these people who go too deep end up drowning!

That's why God gave us the brains to build the submarine! It's amazing isn't it?

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
EDIT : I apologize for assuming that's what you implied. I myself am 15, and having been put into legal situations (parental rights -- involving my mother) where everybody looked down on me like I'm a two year old.
In fact, the judge described me just like my mother, I almost punched her.

@Mom - If you're reading this and you know it's me, I will apologize for telling others, but this is how I feel.

My life has been Hell for years. It's hard to explain.
This shows me how good these submarines are.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
That was cruel, but I can't help but laugh. Hard. Sorry Tsuno, I know what parent issues are like.

EDIT: Still laughing. Can't breathe.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 01:35:35 AM by Djangonator »

Rep:
Level 96

Dude, no! I didn't mean you WERE a kid, I was just using a fraction of your username to refer to you! In retrospect, I should have type out the whole thing, sorry about that.

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
That was cruel, but I can't help but laugh. Hard. Sorry Tsuno, I know what parent issues are like.

EDIT: Still laughing. Can't breathe.
I wasn't joking!

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I'm just shaking my head right now....

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
Jesus Hitler raises some very good points:
Do you think that if NASA was shut down their budget would be re-allocated to organizations that feed the poor? The money would just go into other scientific agencies or into weapons research. Technologies developed for the space shuttle have gone into development of military aircraft and vice versa. Do you want us to shut down all research that doesn't provide immediate benefits for mankind? Many problems in society aren't there because there isn't enough money; they're there because people just don't give a fuck. Anyway, it's not as if there were regions of the US who can't maintain paved roads because NASA wanted to send a shuttle up for a joyride. Why don't you bitch at the military for wasting countless dollars every day on useless endeavors? How much more does the militart suck up every year in money and manpower?

People here seem to have the idea that the Earth is that the population density in any inhabited area is the same as downtown Beijing. Overpopulation would not be alleviated by moving surplus humanity to another planet, where the habitat would be much smaller than their original territory and the demand for food would be exactly the same, the only difference being that the new environment would be extremely dangerous. Overpopulation would best be controlled by increased exploitation of unused farmland (and there is plenty of that) which would feed the extant population while simultaneously encouraging contraception and increasing the quality of health care thus eliminating the need for large families.

Of course the great majority of people would never go along with this because they are fucking animals.

Large-scale colonization of other planets would be extraordinarily difficult and expensive. Making a ship capable of carrying 1 - 5 thousand people to another star would require technical knowledge that we don't have and won't have for generations (if ever). If you want cheaper colonization of other planets you'll have to prepare for unusual families: fifty women and ten men along with hundreds of fertilized embryos which would be implanted into the women at the destination. Voila! You have a new population of people on a new planet and it only cost the fraction of the cost of the massive ship carrying a small town.

But it's not as if creating a viable population of people on another planet was absolutely urgent. Regardless of what you all seem to think, global warming, although a real and urgent threat, is not a threat to the survival of mankind. The only thing that could kill 100% of humanity would be full-scale nuclear warfare, the kind we feared during the Cold War.
Normally I wouldn't post something written by a banned member, but he raises some pretty good points!

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
The Hated One
That isn't what I implied. I think teenagers who say 'I'M NOT A KID I'M X-AGE' are silly and obviously insecure about their age. Which is in turn silly in it's own way.

DON'T FORGET OUR GRACIOUS AND LOVING GOD ALSO GAVE US A DEEP, DEEP OCEAN OF LOVE FOR US TO DIVE IN!

Lol, well for one I did the whole X-age thing because of my username, which is the same username I have had since I was 5, and I see now that there are alot of benefits to space exploration.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
JH might return one day.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
Let's get back on topic. I was excited about this thread. Somebody say something concerning space exploration.

I would, but I can't think of anything at the moment.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
When are thye going to replace the Hubble Space Telescope? I heard a few months ago NASA was planning on it. Any one know? I find the Hubble Space Telescope interesting.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
There's been work done on Hubble as recently as 2002, so I don't think that NASA would be planning on a replacement any time too soon, especially if they spent that kind of money sending a crew up to service it.

An erotic christian
Rep:
Level 89
shit-porn story :-D
When are thye going to replace the Hubble Space Telescope? I heard a few months ago NASA was planning on it. Any one know? I find the Hubble Space Telescope interesting.

That's because the Hubble Space Telescope is the coolest thing in the world (or off it, as the case may be).

I don't think the are planning on scrapping it just yet, next repair mission supposed to keep it on till 2013 (http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2006/53/)
(http://hubblesite.org/servicing_mission_4/)
(http://hubble.nasa.gov/missions/intro.php)

As for the topic: YES. Space Exploration will the the greatest outward endeavor mankind had yet to embark on; exploration (outward and inward, but that is for another topic) is always a good thing.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
Yeah, isn't there only supposed to be one working gyroscope by 2008? Sounds reasonable that they'd send out a repair mission then.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
The Hated One
I admit telescopes bring in some very great research, about planets far out of are solar system.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
I feel that Space Exploration is not needed, and money that is used on it could really be going to other things.

:P

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Like what? Finding homes for all the lost puppies? Space exploration is great.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
No, no, I didn't mean that. CK was just saying something contradictory to what he said earlier.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
I actually wasn't replying to your post, but his LOL.

I suppose I should've quoted his post.  8) Sorry for the confusion.

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
Like what? Finding homes for all the lost puppies? Space exploration is great.
Yes, we should be spending trillions on animal shelters around the world. :)

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Okay good thing the Hubble Space telescope thing was clarified.

As much I think space exploration is usefull, the idea of colonizing other planets is irrational and would never work. I see the use of space exploration as learning what is outside our solar system, in an effert to understand this little rock flying through space that we live on a little better.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
As much I think space exploration is usefull, the idea of colonizing other planets is irrational and would never work.

How would it never work, and how is it irrational? People said the same thing about flying, I bet.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Because the distance. There is no way we could get to a habitable planet in a feasable amount of time, it's just too far.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
There's this thing, I bet you've heard of it. You know, technology? Yeah, it's pretty progressive :P

Just because we can't do it now doesn't mean that we won't be able to ever.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
We're more likely to blow ourselves up before we can figure out how to get that far in a reasonable amount of time.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
"Blow ourselves up"? How?

So we could produce an explosion that'd take out the whole world, but not faster rockets? Yeah, that makes sense.

OH NOES MAYB WILE WE MAYK FASTR ROKTS WE BLOW OWRSELFS UP!!!11

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Well time slows down in space, so it doesn't matter how fast you can go, the problem is finding longer-lating fuels.

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

Rep:
Level 96
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there a theory that if you move fast enough in space your body doesn't have time to age? It would probably be totally impossible to actually REACH this speed, (I think it's faster than LIGHT) but just the same, am I thinking correctly?

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
Well time slows down in space,

...whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there a theory that if you move fast enough in space your body doesn't have time to age? It would probably be totally impossible to actually REACH this speed, (I think it's faster than LIGHT) but just the same, am I thinking correctly?

Well, theoreticly if you catch up with time, it can't pass you.

But you can't pass it either, so you would probably freeze in time. WOOT.

My theory? If you really don't want to age, you must reach the speed of light and be suspended in time.

@Djangonator - You didn't know that?

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
Guh, I don't know anything about physics, but I'm pretty sure time isn't slower in ALL space.

But uh, I'm clueless when it comes to spacetime  :(

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
"Blow ourselves up"? How?

So we could produce an explosion that'd take out the whole world, but not faster rockets? Yeah, that makes sense.

OH NOES MAYB WILE WE MAYK FASTR ROKTS WE BLOW OWRSELFS UP!!!11

Korea has nukes as we speak. You know that just as well as I do, the minute a nuclear wars starts we'll pretty much blow ourselves up.

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
It would probably be totally impossible to actually REACH this speed, (I think it's faster than LIGHT) but just the same, am I thinking correctly?
Can any objects created by any beings reach the speed of light?

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Its improbable that we could ever make anything that fast. Which is why colonizing other planets won't work. First we'll have to figure out the closest planet that's similar to earth, as in Air, Water, about the same amount of gravity earth has and all that junk. Because a plante like that is a shit load of lightyears away, we will never be able to do it.

Besides soemthing traveling at that kind of speed would most likely break apart due to sheer force behind moving like that.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
...you don't need a vessel to move the speed of light to reach Mars. But, you know, that may just be me throwin' a cuh-raaaayyyy-zy idea out there.

You don't need to find a planet with all that shit on it, you know, because there is this thing called terraforming. While it may take thousands and thousands of years, it can still work :/

Rep:
Level 89
...you don't need a vessel to move the speed of light to reach Mars. But, you know, that may just be me throwin' a cuh-raaaayyyy-zy idea out there.

You don't need to find a planet with all that shit on it, you know, because there is this thing called terraforming. While it may take thousands and thousands of years, it can still work :/

of course, terraforming is still completely science-fiction as of now.  in theory it could work but we don't actually have any idea of how to go about it.

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
As you may have noticed Djangie is speaking in terms of thousands of years into the future. By then we should know.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
^Correct.

In fact, I don't even see humans traveling to Mars for many decades.

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
We need money for the space station. Space is the next frontier and we shouldn't abandon it. Space exploration can bring about great change and open new options for us. Plus, the next super weapons and defense probably are going to be in space. We are going to have to finish that space station sooner or later, might as well do it now. Also we are able to travel to space. What stops us is money. Plus Terra-forming is possible and we know how to to do it. Think about global-warming. The problem is that it would cost huge amounts of money and we are totally sure of how long it will take. Also there is something faster than the speed of light, energy. Finally the blowing up comment, can be very possible. This space exploration requires vast amounts of technology and power which can be easily manipulated into weapons of "earthly destruction." So we have to careful of what we build, make it fast, and efficient. We will soon be invaded by aliens, might as be advance as they are.   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 10:37:26 PM by oneray »

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
We're not only going to be invaded by aliens, but soon?
What the fuck gives you that idea?

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
Plus, the next super weapons and defense probably are going to be in space.   

I don't think so.

Rep:
Level 89
more than likely we already have super weapons in space that we don't know about xp

Rep:
Level 89
U H N

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I don't even get why you're thinking that far ahead. You know just as well as I do how stupid humanity is. We'll blast our asses back to the stone age from a nuclear war by then.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Here's a Video of me talking about my Moon Visit:-

(It never actually really happened...)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 11:04:34 AM by landofshadows »

My RMRK Wikki:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows
Make a Donation for my Resource making:- https://www.paypal.me/landofshadows

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
For a moment I misread 'my' as 'the', and almost died laughing.
Now I'm disappointed.

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
Atomic LAWL

*ahem* your name has the word kid in it.
EDIT: I just read the rest of the posts and it seems that the name thing has already been noted

anyways you may not be a kid but you still failed to refute the fact that you're being ingnorant. Look at the technology that we have and look at the technology we had twenty years ago. There is room for advancement in our space program granted. Space exploration is necessary and I dont think that the incoherent ramblings of a 17 year old kid will make a difference.

I hope a big astroid is coming to destroy earth so we can make a KID like you eat your own words...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 07:26:58 PM by Atomic »

"Here begin the torments of Hell proper" -Danta's inferno

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
The Hated One

*ahem* your name has the word kid in it.
EDIT: I just read the rest of the posts and it seems that the name thing has already been noted

anyways you may not be a kid but you still failed to refute the fact that you're being ingnorant. Look at the technology that we have and look at the technology we had twenty years ago. There is room for advancement in our space program granted. Space exploration is necessary and I dont think that the incoherent ramblings of a 17 year old kid will make a difference.

I hope a big astroid is coming to destroy earth so we can make a KID like you eat your own words...

God I wasent be ignorent I was just brining up a good topic for debate, I didnet mean for anyone to take it personal,

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
GAH! WHAT KIND OF IDIOT DOES THAT!!!!
Na just joking, i thought it was a relevant debate topic and dont know why you are ignorant?

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
In truth, I think that even if we do spend more money in space exploration it won't be very successful. Look at when we first landed on the moon. We used very "primitive" computers.

Now that we have more advanced computers, we can't even launch rockets into space. Just recently an entire mission was scrubbed due to a software glitch.I think that if the rate at which we are failing stays the same or increases, space exploration is a fruitless endeavor which should be ignored. The governments of the world should be spending resources on their people instead of failing missions. If we did that, then think of what we could do for 3rd world countries.

I agree the solar system is dying, but that is billions of years away. We will all have been blown to shit by then, or we will have advanced. Humanity hasn't even had recorded civilization for a million years you guys, which means that in another million the world will be completely different. 

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
I think NASA should spend more money exploring our Planet... I mean we know there is life here, and understanding our planet will us understand others...

Why not spend Nasa's Budget on sea exploration, making a vessel that can with stand high pressure with a crew on board so we can reach the furthest most depths of the ocean... After all our planet is mostly water (God knows why we called it Earth, its a bit Bi-ust)

Why not make a probe that can swim in sand on top and under the sand level looking for life... a few years Back a Golden coloured Mole was found in the desert, it was dead and found by chance, but if there are creatures like that then who knows what else could be there...

Why not use some money to explore the rain forest, and find new insects etc... it was only a few years back they found a new insect that infects it's host and takes over its motor functions, gets in fish and makes them swim funny, Birds eat them, then the eggs of the insect incubates in the Birds stomach and the droppings have the eggs in they hatch and the cycle starts again... or some thing like that...  There was around 15 new insect speeices found last year...

Same with Loch Ness and the Amizon rivers, lets search those and do it right...

Lets search Caves... Like the real deep ones in Austrailla, or even make a Cave digging machine and look for underground cazums... All you need is a Sizmic changer to find Dence and hollow area's and dig down to any empty pockets under the ground... we could find all sorts...

Remember Life finds away... and on our planet life is every darn place...

Even if we can't see it... why don't we investigate ROD's a little more...??

Here's a link if you have never heard of them:- http://www.roswellrods.com/pre.html

I just think the best planet in our solar syatem for exploration of life is our own and we are ignoring it...

There are loads of creatures thought extinct but are cropping up like the Zilocampth...

If any one is ignorant it's Nasa...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 11:22:07 AM by landofshadows »

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
LOS, I don't think you're understanding that if we understand how other planets function we'll learn more about our own planet as well. Besides there are some nice things that Nasa can provide, I don't remember the exact name of it, but the history channel did a thing on it, any ways, Nasa has a project to track mteors and comets just for the off chance of fidning out if one will smack into us. Honestly, if a metoer was going to smack into the earth in a couple years, wouldn't it be important for us to know we're all going to die?

Rep:
Level 96
Also, NASA is involved in the Air Force. (Instant points from me.)

I THINK they may have had something to do with the "Aurora Aircraft", and there are a few fish-stories to back me up on this. HIt wikipedia if you don't know what I am talking about.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Right. What exactly would that do?

I agree with LoS though. Exploring the seas would provide a more immediate bounty than revealing the cosmos.

Rep:
Level 97
No way. Who cares what's underwater? Aliens are way cooler than some fish.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
yeah, but while there is no guarantee of finding alien life soon, we know that there are some ancient cultures submerged under our oceans.

Rep:
Level 97
Big deal. Underwater ancient cultures can't tell us much of anything, except that they're dead. Who knows what we could find in space? Probably not much of anything, at least for a long time. It still is worth the time and effort anyway.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Eh, I suppose. Either way neither will provide "fruits" for a while.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Why not spend Nasa's Budget on sea exploration, making a vessel that can with stand high pressure with a crew on board so we can reach the furthest most depths of the ocean... After all our planet is mostly water (God knows why we called it Earth, its a bit Bi-ust)

I heard that we know more about what's in space, then we know about the oceans...
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
HaloOfTheSun  - I would laugh if we reashed a far off planet we get there find it has loads of Alien life... and its all under water, and all the Aliens are Fish...LOL

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
I don't know why we would call them aliens if it was their own planet.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Because We're arrogant jack asses.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
I don't know why we would call them aliens if it was their own planet.
Technically, the term is "Extra Terrestrial", but alot of people (not specifically on here) are to arrogant or whatever to use large words.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
I know. We could call them aliens if they were coming to our own planet, but we'd be the aliens if we were going to theirs is kind of what I was trying to say.

Rep:
Level 96
"Well to us...YOU'RE the aliens!!"

"HAHAHA! Spoopty? YOU CRAZEHHHH!"

I love Invader Zim...

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
:/ I hate Invader Zim.

Unless he's from Starship Troopers. That Zim rocked.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
"Well to us...YOU'RE the aliens!!"

"HAHAHA! Spoopty? YOU CRAZEHHHH!"

I love Invader Zim...

ROFL!!!

:/ I hate Invader Zim.

Unless he's from Starship Troopers. That Zim rocked.

you need to burn on a stake for heresy.

*ahem*

Djangonator has a point, and i wouldve made it but bashing humanity is much more fulfilling.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
Humans are the same as every other animals, only better.

Rep:
Level 96
We are one of the few species that has sex for fun.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice

monkeys do.

Rep:
Level 96
Not in intelligent debate please. I admit I was also wrong, but that wasn't any better.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N

That's debatable, considering there are plenty accounts of homosexuality out in the animal kingdom.

Rep:
Level 96
This is true...but then you have to consider that it might be an instinct or something like..."I MUST hump, or bad things happen!" you know? But your point is 100% valid.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
Well, you'd also have to consider the same for us humans...that once a male gets an erection, he's GOT to do something with it.

Rep:
Level 96
Myth.

YES it IS difficult, but not impossible, to ignore them.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Space is an interesting thing.
But wait.

As was stated before, one could learn about our own planet from learning about space and OTHER planets.
So why not the other way around?

Or, shouldn't we be putting money into something like medicine, 3rd world country aid, imrpoving our cities, and trying to decrease starvation?

Rep:
Level 96
Points have all ready been discussed.

Also, it won't work the other way around. The learning comes from comparing the two planets. For example, Mars. WE may very well be witnessing the dawn of life on Mars! This generation, or the next will never see anything come to fruition of course, but it is very possible that we will soon have Prokaryotes on Mars! Then, they will reproduce until something mutates, and we have Eukaryotic cells, then small multi-celled organisms, and in a few...million years, creatures! By studying the planet now, we may be able to fill in the blanks on our own history. We couldn't do this via our own planet (not completely) because it's all ready happened, but now we have an Opportunity via Mars.

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back :P
ya, maybe in like 100 years we could establish our own life on Mars, but it would be really cold, and life on there would be hard, so it might happen after our life times. but it could still happen. i think we're already doing a good job of space exploration, and i dont think we need more money to support it, if we're already doing ok with what we got.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I still don't think any one should get their hopes up over thing that are that far off. We're more likely to kill outselves before seeing the fruits of our labor with the mars thing. Plus terraforming is pure science fiction right now. I support the idea of finding out whats beyond our planet, but I have to be honest. We're Idiots, we'll kill ourselves in a nuclear war before we can really put any of that knowledge into practical use. I'm not saying it useless to learn what we can from what limited space travel we can do, learning itself is reason enough. Although, because we are, or at leat most people are incredibly stupid, we're going to blast our asses into nothing before we can make the technological advances that some of you have been tossing around.

In short, we're all gonna die and we should accept it.

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back :P
lol i know. thats why i say it might be passed our life times if it ever happens. and yeah the whole world will probably end up killing itself. so thats why im christian and believe theres something after all of that lol. but hopefully they'll think up something smart to prevent from being killed off completely. or hopefully im dead before anything comes to that. lol then i wont have to worry about it.

Rep:
Level 96
Oh no, you got me wrong! I wasn't talking about colonizing the planet, I was looking at a bigger picture! ;D Discovery of our own development through the beginnings of other possibly intelligent life forms, that's what I meant.

...unless you weren't referring to me?

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
It makes me sick how misanthropic people can be. Have a little goddamned faith in human beings. Just a little. Sure, we kill other human beings, other animals kill other animals- but out of all the animals, we're the only ones that feel remorse when we do it.

I mean, we're retiring the space shuttle in a few years (like, six or seven, I think, I could be wrong). The latest date set forward by NASA to travel to Mars is 2030. I'd say that was some fruits of labor, wouldn't you, Fu? Traveling to Mars in a little less than 25 years? Who says we wouldn't be able to establish some sort of colonies there in at least 100, and do you really think that in just a short span of 100 years, the human race would have wiped itself out completely?

We're not even at the pinnacle of human knowledge, not even close, and science is proving that every day. RIght now, something like terraforming may be "pure science fiction", but who says it will be the same in even ten years?

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Oh no, you got me wrong! I wasn't talking about colonizing the planet, I was looking at a bigger picture! ;D Discovery of our own development through the beginnings of other possibly intelligent life forms, that's what I meant.

...unless you weren't referring to me?
Also, we could be witnessing the close of life on Mars, which could give us clues as to how our planet will be :P

@Djangonator

-If we colonize Mars demons will take over our colonies and kill everybody.

in all seriousness though, you have a point. technology is advancing at an astounding rate. However, in ten years, as Fu said...well, we could ALL be gone.

But, if we arent, then its all jolly good.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
It makes me sick how misanthropic people can be. Have a little goddamned faith in human beings. Just a little. Sure, we kill other human beings, other animals kill other animals- but out of all the animals, we're the only ones that feel remorse when we do it.

I mean, we're retiring the space shuttle in a few years (like, six or seven, I think, I could be wrong). The latest date set forward by NASA to travel to Mars is 2030. I'd say that was some fruits of labor, wouldn't you, Fu? Traveling to Mars in a little less than 25 years? Who says we wouldn't be able to establish some sort of colonies there in at least 100, and do you really think that in just a short span of 100 years, the human race would have wiped itself out completely?

We're not even at the pinnacle of human knowledge, not even close, and science is proving that every day. RIght now, something like terraforming may be "pure science fiction", but who says it will be the same in even ten years?

I'm actually surprised here, considering you usually find humanity as annoying as I do.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
Yeah, but I draw the line at "idiotically misanthropic"

Rep:
Level 88
However, in ten years, as Fu said...well, we could ALL be gone.

Humanity has secured its survival in the short term. We won't die in a single fell swoop as is portrayed in numerous works of fiction. Extinction, though inevitable in the long run, will not occur within our lifetime or (god forbid) our children's lifetimes.

Rep:
Level 96
While I would very much like to believe this, I can't without some sort of back-up. Can you provide some information that supports your point?

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
Back-up what? we are not going to destroy ourselves in a span of ten goddamn years.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I don't think whether we will kill ourselves sooner rather than later can be proven. Although I do belive we will blast our asses back to the stone age, it can't be proven either way whether or not it'll happen.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
That's what I actually look like, for real. Ugly.
All I know is, whether we're going to live in space, or whether we're living here, we better think of something, FAST.
*various flatulence*

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Living in space is still a very distant goal. The human body is adapted for earth. It will take alot of work to find a way for humans to live in a different environment.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Don't forget the odds we'll blast our asses back to the stone age before that adapting can happen.

Rep:
Level 89
U H N
Fu, be intelligent about this thread or don't post in it. We're already adapting for space- look at the Orion. Even if we're taking small steps towards better space travel, they're still much larger than the steps we're taking towards self-destruction.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Actually I am being intellegent. If I wasnt i'd be doing the whole highlander thing. But you seem to forget how stupid the average human is. I find your niave optimism in humanity cute, but every one knows deep down inside we're going to continue to do stupid things untill it leads to our downfall.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91

AHHHH!!! You insane man!!! WE SHOULD BE ON MARS BY NOW!!!! Damn you anti-spacites!!!

And yes FuMannChu, I agree. Stupid Mortals, unless I stop them now they WILL destroy my planet....

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
HAHAHAHA! You children are naive! Who said that we will live for 10 more years, 5 more years, GOD DAMN IT we might all just die tomorrow. Remember, you yourselves have no absolute assurance that you live today or tomorrow. NEVER and I mean NEVER say that humanity has an insured time of life. At any given moment, a asteroid can come crashing, splitting the earth in half. We could be invaded by hostile aliens or the sun's solar flares wipe all electrical equipment on earth sending into utter chaos. Maybe Iran or South Korea will nuke us, causing a massive chain reaction that mortally wound or destroy the earth. It takes only 23 high-powered nukes to destroy this planet.

Rep:
Level 96
Way to gravedig.

And flame.

*shakes head*

And you call us children.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
HAHAHAHA! You children are naive! Who said that we will live for 10 more years, 5 more years, GOD DAMN IT we might all just die tomorrow. Remember, you yourselves have no absolute assurance that you live today or tomorrow. NEVER and I mean NEVER say that humanity has an insured time of life. At any given moment, a asteroid can come crashing, splitting the earth in half. We could be invaded by hostile aliens or the sun's solar flares wipe all electrical equipment on earth sending into utter chaos. Maybe Iran or South Korea will nuke us, causing a massive chain reaction that mortally wound or destroy the earth. It takes only 23 high-powered nukes to destroy this planet.

Ok.. there is a fair amount of rubbish in this post, but if worded differently he has one or two good points... so I am gunna break it down.

Who said that we will live for 10 more years, 5 more years, GOD DAMN IT we might all just die tomorrow.

Fair point... (the only one really)

I mean who's to say Aids doesn't find the two missing elements it needs to go air born and infects us like the flu... Only the richest of people would get the medication, It could kill off the Human race as we know it within 200 years.

Many countries are making Bio Weapons, many have not been disclosed on what they can do... but look up gentic rabit virus:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis Now if a country has made some thing like that but for humans and this a conflict breaks out over oil or the far east soon, who's to say some thing like this couldn't fast become a reality.

At any given moment, a asteroid can come crashing, splitting the earth in half.

Any Astariod capable of such approaching Earth would be spotted long before hand... And I am sure we would have some idea's into stopping it... But your right, some thing like that could happen and may be we wont be able to stop it !

We could be invaded by hostile aliens

Errr... I guess we could, but we could KICK their butts, may be... or breed with them and live happily ever after.

the sun's solar flares wipe all electrical equipment on earth sending into utter chaos.

Not really a world ending event then ?

Maybe Iran or South Korea will nuke us, causing a massive chain reaction that mortally wound or destroy the earth. It takes only 23 high-powered nukes to destroy this planet.

Iran doesn't have Nukes, or hasn't declaired having them, if they did they would have fired one at Israel ages ago... and South Korea's was such a small Weld a Party popper would do more damage.

I would be more worried about the USA firing their's at Iran and Israel following suite, then China and other middle Eastern countries fighting back... World War 3 breaking out etc...

But even that shouldn't end Man all together !
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 12:58:08 PM by landofshadows »

Rep:
Level 96
What he said would have been more useful to the topic if it hadn;t all ready been said a thousand times before. At this point I'd say we need some lockage.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
Dont waste money on it just use the money to make it better on earth first

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
This is what i am trying to say, the human race should advance more faster. All the  problems can be solved if we put our resources and effort to find solutions. The future is determined by what we do in the present. Spend money now, stop violence, racsim, and become a uniting earth. Only then can we have super planes, cloning, and wat not.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Spend money now, stop violence, racsim, and become a uniting earth. Only then can we have super planes, cloning, and wat not.

Come on, the odds of that happening are less than nil. History has proven mankind is brutish and stupid. We'll continue being brutish and stupid, and theres not really any way to stop it. Actually, theres is a way to stop it but thats killing off all of humanity, which will eventually happen because guess what? We're too stupid and violent for our own good.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
metalcore loving gay pride christian
This is what i am trying to say, the human race should advance more faster. All the  problems can be solved if we put our resources and effort to find solutions. The future is determined by what we do in the present. Spend money now, stop violence, racsim, and become a uniting earth. Only then can we have super planes, cloning, and wat not.

Why should we limit scientific research in one field because of problems in another? What good would rocket scientists or geneticists be at ending racism or "uniting the world"?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 05:19:01 AM by Saladin »

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
Simple. When we learn to accept each other, then we listen to each other. Maybe a Iraqi or Iran scientist will know how to cure the common cold. If we continue to fight with Iraqi's, we would never or ,not right now, find that cure. Remember two hands are better than one. More minds working means more answers. Stopping wars and other harmful and useless things means more money being spent on meaning full things. That means more research, more space bases around the world, more eyes watching the sky. And about that comment on human nature being violent, we can change. In our more primitive lives (cave men) we would constantly fight over little things and never get along. But through out history, we have learned to become friends and say no to war. That is why we have NATO, the United Nations, public schools fill of people with different races studying under one roof. It is possible and we can do that. It is just a matter of time when we understand that. Will it be today, the day before doomsday or maybe never.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Simple. When we learn to accept each other, then we listen to each other. Maybe a Iraqi or Iran scientist will know how to cure the common cold. If we continue to fight with Iraqi's, we would never or ,not right now, find that cure. Remember two hands are better than one. More minds working means more answers. Stopping wars and other harmful and useless things means more money being spent on meaning full things. That means more research, more space bases around the world, more eyes watching the sky. And about that comment on human nature being violent, we can change. In our more primitive lives (cave men) we would constantly fight over little things and never get along. But through out history, we have learned to become friends and say no to war. That is why we have NATO, the United Nations, public schools fill of people with different races studying under one roof. It is possible and we can do that. It is just a matter of time when we understand that. Will it be today, the day before doomsday or maybe never.

ATM? Well yeh... If you laced every world leaders glasses with LCD. Sorry to say but that is truly bull shit. World piece is a pipe dream that will never take place with divided countries. For a Utopian dream, it's going to take a lot of blood.

Oh and we do a cure to the common  cold. We just don't have a cure for colds in general, and won't for some time, it's not a matter of directly attacking the virus, because it consistently mutates, it's a matter of making the immune system better.

All your ideas sound nice and fluffy, but I don't see any suggesting on how we go about doing them. You sound like mis universe when she says "World piece!". Give some calls to your claims.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88

You haven't told us how stopping space exploration is supposed to hasten world peace. Rocket scientists know about rocketry, not farming techniques. As I have said about many things before, just throwing money at a problem does not instantly solve it.

We have something that's cure enough for the common cold: washing your hands. You'd be surprised how little people do it.

"Cave men" didn't fight over little things. Life was a daily struggle for scraps off Nature's table until farming was developed. You might think that a few acres of pasture is a little thing, but they took what they could get.

OMG!! IVE RUN OUT OF EYELINER!!!
Rep:
Level 88
More man than everyone here put together.
Quote from: Saucy
For a Utopian dream, it's going to take a lot of blood.

Doesn't that kinda contradict the whole concept of a utopia?
The opposite of intelligence is not stupidity, it's patriotism.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91

Not my Utopia...

It's ignorant to think that one day all of the people will drop the guns and start holding hands. The only way to get peace is at the end off a knife. I don't feel that separate organisations can exist under different rules, and many countries have already proven that.

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
Ns points everyone. I am sort of confused but here goes. I think we should first fix all the trouble on earth like discrimination before thinking about the future. There is no point in moving forward if you still have some mistakes to fix at the present. But I think a global conflict will kick us in the pants and set us straight. Right now we are fighting each other not fighting together. Maybe if we are invaded by aliens, global warming, or something else, we would have to unite in order to solve the problem. I think we can achieve peace if we respect others first. We always wait until someone respects us, say hello to us, but sometimes it never happens. We are the developed nations, we should be the ones who respect others. We should invade Iraq to establish a fair government or wat ever, not to control the oil. we should help the people the people, not help ourselves. It is going to take something big to set us straight. It just has to be a world wide treaty to stop war. Sure there will be violence, but at a smaller scale as wars are obselete (sry can't speal). People may never throw down there guns, but they can point it at a common enemy. They can point there guns on global problems. Everyone has damned or don't believe that the human race will ever find piece or solve any problems. HECK, look at Africa, India, China! They were forsaken countries where the picture of poverty was present in so many minds. But at their current pace they will be the next super powers. We have stopped SARS, no nukes have been launched since WW2, and people are starting to see that the US is not all that is cracked up to be. We will reach the end of rainbow, but i agree, blood will be spilled. But remember, does not have to ours. 

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I am sort of confused but here goes.
The why are you posting..?

Sure there will be violence, but at a smaller scale as wars are obselete (sry can't speal). People may never throw down there guns, but they can point it at a common enemy. They can point there guns on global problems.
Common enemy..? It sounds like your talking about a cheap world monopoly.

There is no point in moving forward if you still have some mistakes to fix at the present.
Yeh, there is. Have you ever thought that it might be future ideas that bring the change? Why should technological progress stop because, "man still hates one another"? If the answer is because we could destroy ourselves, uhh, sorry to break it to you but we already can. As Saladin said too, I don't think rocket scientists could really tackle world peace...

We are the developed nations, we should be the ones who respect others. We should invade Iraq to establish a fair government or wat ever, not to control the oil. we should help the people the people, not help ourselves.
Apparently that's what America did. How can you say either way..? How can you say that the invasion wasn't just to set up a fair government ( I'm hardly saying it was BTW... ). You can't prove a lie that contains a superpower to back it up.

It just has to be a world wide treaty to stop war.
And again, how the fuck do you expect that to happen..? Clapping your heals won't make it true.

Everyone has damned or don't believe that the human race will ever find piece or solve any problems.
I have no problem in the idea that the world will gain piece, but it's not going to be any time soon, and by that, I'm talking hundreds of years...

We will reach the end of rainbow, but i agree, blood will be spilled. But remember, does not have to ours.
Lol. Congrats, that sounded more psychotic then what I said...

Sorry if I missed anything, but you need some separate paragraphs.

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
Everything i said was from my view because i am an optimistic person. Why do you think humankind have no hope? We did survive the cold war right? You are fixed on the point that humans will never achieve peace and that we are mindless zombies who will just blow up each other. Cut us some slack. you only look at our mistakes and not at our accomplishments. And yes, I can't make peace happen by clapping my heals, but can you destory the world by just saying we are damned? i am not god and i can't do anything. So stop saying that life is cheap, humans are not passionate and that we are going to all kill ourselves. Remember, we are still alive today. We are moving forward even though we kill and hate. But we would move faster if we don't hate or kill. Sure we can't stop it completely, but we can reduce it in considerable amounts.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Everything i said was from my view because i am an optimistic person. Why do you think humankind have no hope? We did survive the cold war right? You are fixed on the point that humans will never achieve peace and that we are mindless zombies who will just blow up each other. Cut us some slack. you only look at our mistakes and not at our accomplishments. And yes, I can't make peace happen by clapping my heals, but can you destory the world by just saying we are damned? i am not god and i can't do anything. So stop saying that life is cheap, humans are not passionate and that we are going to all kill ourselves.
Actually I'm not opposed to peace, or humanity in general. I just don't feel we can do it in our lifetimes. If I was so fixed on humanity's down falls I would of said something like;

Oh, wait a second...

Everything i said was from my view because i am an optimistic person.
Oh?? *Points up*

We are moving forward even though we kill and hate.
I thought you wanted to halt human progress??

Sure we can't stop it completely, but we can reduce it in considerable amounts.
Yes, we certainly 'could'.

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
I just don't feel we can do it in our lifetimes. If I was so fixed on humanity's down falls I would of said something like;

I agree with you. We will never make it without blood. I just think that we can make it. But then again, we can do something stupid. Many value pride way to much. They don't think and they do stupid things. The human race is basically a gamble.

But then why did you say:

AHHHH!!! You insane man!!! WE SHOULD BE ON MARS BY NOW!!!! Damn you anti-spacites!!!

Now the question is: How are we going to stop humanity from blowing themselves up?

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I just don't feel we can do it in our lifetimes. If I was so fixed on humanity's down falls I would of said something like;

I agree with you. We will never make it without blood. I just think that we can make it. But then again, we can do something stupid. Many value pride way to much. They don't think and they do stupid things. The human race is basically a gamble.
I thought you were optimistic..? Your changing views more then how many pills Anna Nicole Smith ODed on.

But then why did you say:

I said that because space isn't getting enough attention paid to it. Unlike you I don't want to stop the acceleration of man. Really, what does that have to do with it?

Now the question is: How are we going to stop humanity from blowing themselves up?
I asked YOU that.

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
Well, i have no idea what we are going to do. As you said, we aren't going to drop our guns and hold hands. I no idea, but why don't you tell me yours.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I have no notion for world peace other then that which will occur naturally over time and development, cultural and technological. It would be heavily against the odds to say that it will happen soon. 

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
Well, I think it is a gamble. But I lean more againest that we will achieve peace. Before that, we will have to go through another blood bath.

OMG!! IVE RUN OUT OF EYELINER!!!
Rep:
Level 88
More man than everyone here put together.

Not my Utopia...

It's ignorant to think that one day all of the people will drop the guns and start holding hands. The only way to get peace is at the end off a knife. I don't feel that separate organisations can exist under different rules, and many countries have already proven that.

And why do you find it so crucial to be ruled by someone?
The opposite of intelligence is not stupidity, it's patriotism.

Rep:
Level 96
Because communism doesn't work, it's not possible.

You need a ruler to, however cruelly, hold things together. People are followers, it's that simple.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Maybe if we are invaded by aliens, global warming, or something else, we would have to unite in order to solve the problem.

I stopped reading after you said this. Are you a little kid, on drugs or just messing with us? How can I take you seriously if you'll say this kind of stuff. The likely hood of aliens trying to conquer us is so low it's laughable. Also Global warming isnt real, the earth naturally goes through phases of warm and cold weather, in the future people will bitch about global cooling. 

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
Okay, I know that was a little stupid. But I think it something big will cause us to unite together to solve a common problem. Remember how they created that book with information or proof on global warming? That wasn't done only be the american's, it was done by everyone. Plus, I somewhat agree with you global warming comment. Millions of years ago, volcanoes injected huge amounts of toxic gases that changed the world temperature. So i guess it is natural. But now, volcanoes don't as much as they did before. The earth went through an ice age because of a asteroid and cause intensified gases. None of that is happening now. It is us who are being "volcanoes." When nature is ready, she will do here thing. But we shouldn't accelerate that process.

Rep:
Level 87
¥¥Death is Peace, and it is your friend¥¥
There is no point in moving forward if you still have some mistakes to fix at the present. But I think a global conflict will kick us in the pants and set us straight. Right now we are fighting each other not fighting together. Maybe if we are invaded by aliens, global warming, or something else, we would have to unite in order to solve the problem. I think we can achieve peace if we respect others first. We always wait until someone respects us, say hello to us, but sometimes it never happens. We are the developed nations, we should be the ones who respect others. We should invade Iraq to establish a fair government or wat ever, not to control the oil. we should help the people the people, not help ourselves. It is going to take something big to set us straight. It just has to be a world wide treaty to stop war. Sure there will be violence, but at a smaller scale as wars are obselete (sry can't speal). People may never throw down there guns, but they can point it at a common enemy. They can point there guns on global problems. Everyone has damned or don't believe that the human race will ever find piece or solve any problems. HECK, look at Africa, India, China! They were forsaken countries where the picture of poverty was present in so many minds. But at their current pace they will be the next super powers. We have stopped SARS, no nukes have been launched since WW2, and people are starting to see that the US is not all that is cracked up to be. We will reach the end of rainbow, but i agree, blood will be spilled. But remember, does not have to ours. 

You cant fix discriminations unless you ask the other countries to do so, and no country should have the right to dictate that. If you're confused, then why r you posting?

Sure a global conflict can set us straight, but one can't convince the whole world to feast upon their ideas. heck, that's why we have war.

I highly doubt the chance of us fighting together, maybe so in a few billions years i can look toward aliens sucking our blood and throwing our bodies in bodies of water, then spraying that blood back out.

Some countries dont take peace lighty....

We should invade Iraq to establish a fair government or wat ever, not to control the oil. we should help the people the people, not help ourselves.

Seriously, if you're gonna talk about iraq do so somewhere else. This is about space exploration.
WOW, like, WOW 4 years into the war and thats the best you've accomplished, yet it made matters such worse, because the main conflict between iraq is the civil war. So if the administration is Shiite based, than congrats, all your work in iraq has been for nothing. If you've actually accomplished anything in iraq you would've won by now, too bad you'll have to pull out those soldiers soon...

anyways...

Its true those once poverished countries will become the next superpowers, china and russia are alrady on their way.

If you're in support of the U.S. join the army rather than complain about the wars

Sure, let me grab a stick and start fighting with it, and others should too <sarcasm>

Blood will be ours alright.

That wasn't done only be the american's, it was done by everyone.

Everyone eh...  :-\ just look at this

http://maps.grida.no/go/graphic/national_carbon_dioxide_co2_emissions_per_capita

Well, money should be spent on space exploration, but we dont need to go now, we need to have the necessary equipment ready for whatever's out there. we're not capable of adapting to outer space conditions as of yet, and we need to rely on technology to support us.

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
If we start now, we will learn more than if we start later. Lets have a head start and space explorations is bound to bring about new and useful technologies.

Rep:
Level 87
yeah.... as if less than 5 billion years isnt enough time.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
Well, money should be spent on space exploration, but we dont need to go now, we need to have the necessary equipment ready for whatever's out there. we're not capable of adapting to outer space conditions as of yet, and we need to rely on technology to support us.

How are we supposed to have the technology in the future if we don't develop it today?

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
How are we supposed to have the technology in the future if we don't develop it today?

I still think if we could make exploration devices that can aid us explore our own planet better these can be adapted into space travel later...

After all our own planet is still a planet...

Lets make ships that can reach the sea bed (the very bottom)..

Lets make breath apparatus for diving that doesn't need MASSIVE cylinders (Bio Gills or some some-thing)

Some thing that can tunnel deep into the earth... May be submerg in Lava...

All these things could help us map the stars one day !!!

Rep:
Level 87
Saladin, read my posts before you answer, i said....

I did not say people should stop spending money on the technology, i meant give it time and invest a bit more so we can at least develop some useful technology.

Also

I still think if we could make exploration devices that can aid us explore our own planet better these can be adapted into space travel later...

if we get to know our own planet better, we may have a chance for whats outside of our planet. Heck, if you put the time periods in a day, dinosaurs have been living for 18 hours, where as we were only doing so for 10 minutes. We've been on earth for thousands of years, but a small fraction of that has helped discover new technology. We should get to know our own planet more, before we actually head out to outer space and come back with disastrous results.

After all our own planet is still a planet...
Yessir

Lets make ships that can reach the sea bed (the very bottom)..
Well, to me, it's kind of impossible. Because think of water pressure. If you go all the way to the bottom, whats sitting ontop of you? Millions of tons of water, ready to crush your vehicle. And even if we did make one, what are the chances of it successful? Who'd want to go test out their prototypical underwater vehicle, when it may sink and cause deaths? True many people've died trying to unlock the mysteries of science, but i think this is one effort that's impossible.

Lets make breath apparatus for diving that doesn't need MASSIVE cylinders (Bio Gills or some some-thing)
Bio-Technology is primarily used by farmers. Perhaps we might make a an apparatus where as we may be able to filter out the water for oxygen.  :lol:

Some thing that can tunnel deep into the earth... May be submerg in Lava...
not even titanium can resist 1000oF. of molten lava.

All these things could help us map the stars one day !!!

sure they can, but the possibilities are really low as of now.  :-\

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
Okay, so we should develop the technology but not use it for an undetermined amount of time because there's a chance that people could die? There's no such thing as a perfectly safe vehicle, you know. Sooner or later these technologies will have to be put to use.

The technology that would be used to travel to the deep sea (which we can already do) or beneath the Earth's crust would be built to withstand massive pressure and heat, while space faring vehicles have to deal with zero pressure, near-absolute zero temperatures, radiation, and micrometeorites.

Holier then Jesus.
Rep:
Level 87
I am sure space living for an extended amount of time is possible but it requieres alot of things. Now if it is really far away we all could not just move all at once. also once we are there you have to import some stuff so you can survive. So my argument is if the earth is dieing or being killed or what ever that is going to happen it will require time to feed billions of people.

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.

China, Russia, Germany, Australia and most other MEDC's.

Space exploration may not be needed just yet, but it's better to start early than late...we "know" for a fact that the sun will blow up (or so says scientists in general) and if we're still there, we're going to be dead. All of us. Your kid's kids kids (recurring) will all be dead.

Yes money could be used to help internally, but I think the governments are doing a fantastic job of saying how much should go everywhere. And don't you dare bring up Africa. It's just a way to waste money.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 87
all im saying, give the gov'ts a few years to develop the necessary technology and we'll criusing space in no time, you cant just BLAM! build a spaceship and send it into outer space without the proper tools and an idea of what you're doing and gonna go, heck that's why we had unreasonable deaths in the past  :-\

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Yes, very much so! It's not needed at all, and it could be spend on a lot of better things!

Space doesn't give us any real help on our countries down on earth.

Rep:
Level 88
all im saying, give the gov'ts a few years to develop the necessary technology and we'll criusing space in no time, you cant just BLAM! build a spaceship and send it into outer space without the proper tools and an idea of what you're doing and gonna go, heck that's why we had unreasonable deaths in the past  :-\

The russians have the tech...it's the american's who keep wasting money...

The american's spent billions of dollars creating a pen that works in space

The russians used a pencil....tell me who's idea was better and cheaper?

Besides...Virgin have that tech already.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
No matter, the money it costs to send people up into space in a lot, that cold be used on better things.

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
That is an urban legend, not even America is that stupid.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Yeah, I know, Canada was the one who actually did spend the money on making it...

Sorry Bio, just had to. (I mean no harm)

Rep:
Level 87
Well, for one thing i know, no one would go somewhere unprepared, sure the russians have the technology, but are they actually gonna take it into space with out getting fully prepared? Nope.

and raven, you pen and pencil stuff doesnt make sense, why would world powers be spending money on something so... useless? and why would they need pens, dont they have computers?

and mex, money SHOULD be spent on space travel, who knows what we could find.

do you think Soldiers would go into battle unprepared? Same thing for space travel, would you go into space unprepared?

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Well, for one thing i know, no one would go somewhere unprepared, sure the russians have the technology, but are they actually gonna take it into space with out getting fully prepared? Nope.

and raven, you pen and pencil stuff doesnt make sense, why would world powers be spending money on something so... useless? and why would they need pens, dont they have computers?

and mex, money SHOULD be spent on space travel, who knows what we could find.

do you think Soldiers would go into battle unprepared? Same thing for space travel, would you go into space unprepared?

No, we have problems on our own planet, that's where people go wrong, if we do find something, it could lead to the end of the world, it could also lead to corruption.
If we spend some shit like 20 billion dollars on space travel that we could've used to fix up New York City, Los Angelus and some many more cities and countries.

If you think you're the only one who thinks space travel is s good thing, you're not alone, I would love to see planets explored, but don't you think good money should be spent on good things, space travel is useless to us right now. If there is an intelligent life form out there (aka earth two) we haven't found them, they haven't found us. (ufo's are irrelevant)
So, why spend loads of money on space travel right now, when we can do it later, our top priority is keeping this country on it's two legs. Not on it's knees after we spent 20 billion dollars. And we could just make more money, yeah, but the more you make, the more the currency drops and the less it's worth.
And if so, we find this life form, what will it do? What if it thinks we are stupid and deserve to die? We are the ants in that situation...anything is possible...

Also, what if we kill them instead of help them, what if the government takes them away and preforms tests on them they don't like that....(sorry, I'm getting to sci-fi, I guess I read to much ender's game...)

But, for real, we need to help our country, and I don't see why we're in other countries right now, Bush doesn't see that we need our country fixed first before we go off to somewhere else and help. May sound very selfish, but who doesn't agree with me that before we help others, we should first have the stuff to help them and help them with everything they need. If we first jave the resources, then we can jelp tjem.  And the more NASA spends of space travel is taking away from our resources, who cares if russia got tjere  first?
Sono molto molto di destra.
Bush e Merda.

Rep:
Level 87
No, we have problems on our own planet, that's where people go wrong, if we do find something, it could lead to the end of the world, it could also lead to corruption.
If we spend some shit like 20 billion dollars on space travel that we could've used to fix up New York City, Los Angelus and some many more cities and countries.

you're right, Earth has it's own problems to deal with. some problems that can't be solved right here on earth...

and mexneto, thats why we have BUDGETING...

Also space travel depends on the U.N. and any other country willing to invest in it.

If you think you're the only one who thinks space travel is s good thing, you're not alone, I would love to see planets explored, but don't you think good money should be spent on good things, space travel is useless to us right now. If there is an intelligent life form out there (aka earth two) we haven't found them, they haven't found us. (ufo's are irrelevant)
So, why spend loads of money on space travel right now, when we can do it later, our top priority is keeping this country on it's two legs. Not on it's knees after we spent 20 billion dollars. And we could just make more money, yeah, but the more you make, the more the currency drops and the less it's worth.
And if so, we find this life form, what will it do? What if it thinks we are stupid and deserve to die? We are the ants in that situation...anything is possible...

that's what i've been trying to say for the past few posts, we should prepare now, and go later, we have less than 6 billion years to live you know...

They haven't found us, we haven't found them, thats why we send radio signals into to outer space via telescopes found in remote islands and barren places...

yes it is our top priority...

its true anything is possible, but actually manage to prepare before going into the wilderness... whos knows what could happen? deaths, abductions (not counting UFOs), severe errors or mistakes that lead to disastrous results, we could even bring back bacteria that start to mutate and manipulate the environment for their needs... and same for me, i watch alotta sci-fi

But, for real, we need to help our country, and I don't see why we're in other countries right now, Bush doesn't see that we need our country fixed first before we go off to somewhere else and help. May sound very selfish, but who doesn't agree with me that before we help others, we should first have the stuff to help them and help them with everything they need. If we first jave the resources, then we can jelp tjem.  And the more NASA spends of space travel is taking away from our resources, who cares if russia got tjere  first?

its not selfish infact, its common sense, would you go into a battlefield without a gun, and sniper gets a shot at picking you off because you have nothing for defense?

would you go into space without the knowledge needed of what you're doing?

Sono molto molto di destra.
Bush e Merda.

Viva La Italia!

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
scusa, signor Ruhani, per che sei miliardo è molto grande amount di euro.

Ok, salute signor Ruhani, enough italian.

We don't need to go into space, nor do we need to treat our cows with rBST, but we do it anyway, rBST is sickening what it does to cows, you wouldn't want to drink or eat any dairy if you knew what it did to them, although you can buy dairy from cows that aren't treated with rBST. (sorry to go off subject, but it's still sort of the same)

Space is an open space with tons of things we could do, but we don't need to do it, because it's not a top priority, if you can think one good priority why we need to go into space, then you should send it to me in a PM with a very good explanation of why, and I'll rep +, but until we can revive Oscar Wild, I suggest that you don't pm me....

Still, BUDGETING can become: BAD. If we go into space right now, who nows what will happen.
We need the money that becomes a budget, we need it. It could easily be put into a program that will get homeless people off the streets and keep them off.
Cosi, cosi male!!!!

OK, quanti anni hai?

Arevaderche Signor Ruhani.

Rep:
Level 88

Actually it's true...the cosmonaut...the one who's spent the longest in space told me himself. i.e Alexandrov something or other, the one you see in the space station more often than not. (Came into Derby College to do a talk about what he does for a living)

It actually did happen...heck we even got a photo of the finished product....and it's not very impressive either.

anyway...it's basically the american's trying to say: We are better than you, look we have pens in space. Because even in space they need to do paperwork.

As for diverting money else where....sure we could...but the reason that we have homeless people is because we're so efficient, if we downscaled our cities etc everyone would then have a job to do because there'd be no major corps doing all the work. They'd all be sectioned off into villages. Inefficient yes, and it costs more, but there are alot fewer homeless people.

....erm I've forgotten the point I was making.

Anyway...Mexneto is right, we don't "need" it just yet, it's just a luxury for the scientists to test what they can do.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 87
nahh i really dont believe you...

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Por que senor Ruhani?

Banned
Rep:
Level 88

Actually it's true...the cosmonaut...the one who's spent the longest in space told me himself. i.e Alexandrov something or other, the one you see in the space station more often than not. (Came into Derby College to do a talk about what he does for a living)

It actually did happen...heck we even got a photo of the finished product....and it's not very impressive either.

anyway...it's basically the american's trying to say: We are better than you, look we have pens in space. Because even in space they need to do paperwork.

You talk out of your ass a lot, don't you?

Rep:
Level 87
im talking to ravenshade, why spend money on something useless, like making a pen in space, if they've made computers operatable in space for less than the amount it takes to make pens, then it should be WAAAAAAAAAAY lesser in cost to make the pen....

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Why not use computers?

But that's not what we're talking about.
Pencils and Pens can get lost in a space ship....I'm guessing. But for real, it's not needed, we don't to go up in to space. It's not helping us in any way currently.

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Thanks for backing me on that Saladin, I knew I was right.