RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
What Made Man ? God, Evolution or Aliens...? (Or Add your own if you wish)

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
To me it has to be one of the 3 I mentioned.

God... Did he put us here ?

Followers of the two largest faiths (Christianity 2.1 billion & Islam 1.3 billion) Seem to think so... I don't want to argue with all of them or upset some of the fanatics amongst them, I wont rule it out, it's very plausible with such backing, and it's not disprovable so it remains a contender of great weight... God Made Adam and Eve placed in the Garden and most of you know the rest...

Evolution... Did Nature evolve our closest counterpart the primate into man ?

Evolution is a great Theory and regarded as fact in most scientific circles... I wont say it doesn't happen as I know it does, but I can't see how it does for us becoming a creature not adapted to nature but a creature that adapts nature to us, and in that same notion of us not being a bi product of Natures changes and us adapting to those changes to me puts Evolution out of step with Man Kind.

Aliens... Did they come to Earth and Create us ?

Not sure why they would do this... But to me it is the most founded of the three, reason being there are countless planets and may be countless races of people (Aliens) We have space travel, we can make changes on a Gentic level, why can't they...?

For every one that doesn't want to read the above I have made a Video:-

« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:29:37 AM by landofshadows »

My RMRK Wikki:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows
Make a Donation for my Resource making:- https://www.paypal.me/landofshadows

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
If that is you, you are too old to post here.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
LOL... Yeah it's me... I am still young enough to enjoy game Computer game making !!

So what are your thoughts on the content rather than my Dapper looking self ?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:28:53 AM by landofshadows »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
LOL, we have a million topics about this kind of shit.

Below is what I think of the video in white, so you must highlight it.  :mex:

LOL YOU NEED A LIFE OUTSIDE OF CONSPIRACY THEORIES AND QUESTIONING WHY YOU ARE HERE.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
I have a feeling a few posts from now this topic will be locked. >_>
:tinysmile:

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
QUESTIONING WHY YOU ARE HERE.

That's the biggest question of all time... And the one many people have strived for an answer for.

YOU NEED A LIFE

Says a Teenage Girl who is sitting in-front of a PC adding replies that don't add to a debate ?

But I am not wanting ANOTHER argument on who is sadder than who... I am trying for a reply from some people that make RPG games (There for have some imagination) I mean most RPG's have large twists and Conspiracy's within them, well the more adult ones do...

Also I have not geared this topic in any direction, I have left it open to Religious, the Scientific and the Sci-Fi genera... So any one really could reply, I haven't forced my view, I have merely conversed it... so on that note this topic differs some what to others.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
LOL YOU NEED A LIFE OUTSIDE OF CONSPIRACY THEORIES AND QUESTIONING WHY YOU ARE HERE.

No Eva, there you are wrong. You're taking it away from this topic (the topic) and it's okay if he likes posting in IT and being a forum member, he's going to politics.
Just like Roph.

And you too.
Arlen is hot.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Aliens... Did they come to Earth and Create us ?

Not sure why they would do this... But to me it is the most founded of the three, reason being there are countless planets and may be countless races of people (Aliens) We have space travel, we can make changes on a Gentic level, why can't they...?

But then who made the aliens? And who made whoever made the aliens? Who made whoever made whoever made the alien? It just goes on and on.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
And who made the aliens pets?

We have evolved from ramopithicuses or some things like that, which were made when the Earth was formed.

how was the Earth formed- by the BANG or by God will just be blank.
You know, this question will remain unanswered until someone makes a time machine.
Arlen is hot.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
But then who made the aliens? And who made whoever made the aliens? Who made whoever made whoever made the alien? It just goes on and on.

Topic Title What Made Man...?

Not what made Aliens or started Everyting... Just what made man...?

Here's some great video's:- http://www.allaboutscience.org/evolution-of-man-video.htm
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:27:59 AM by landofshadows »

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I'm going to say some sort of being was created in the initial big bang, purely by random chance of infinite amounts of molecules colliding, after it was all done, and so much random nothing was going everywhere, isn't it possible it could have created a sentient being?  And then evolution took place from this one creature?  I know it sounds like a longshot of random molecules just hitting in the right spots to make a living thing, but we can't know how many big bangs occur, or how long it was since the last one, so for all we know, in the grand scheme of infinite time that the universe exists, nothing is unusual, because in infinity, everything happens, nomatter how low or impossible the chances.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Another method could be frequencies... Like Radio Stations and such like the operate in different levels, may be there are beings as you mention around us right now, kind of like how we can see Bacteria but they can't see us.

It could be that like the Bacteria we have inside us we are just the Bacteria inside a larger creature...

All of this is possible... Yet not provable... And doesn't help us understand What made Man...

So what did make Man...?

The Big Bang happend long before any life appeared on our planet, but for some reason when we talk about the start of life we automatically see Earth as a starting point...

I don't wont to get to wrapped up in the Big Bang Theory, I am looking at the dawn of man around 4000 bc (If your a creationist or follow scripture of the bible) and 6 Million years ago if you follow Evolution.

I am looking at time that First Upright walking man came to pass with the brain capacity that we have now, the First Human.

You see I can't understand why Primates evolved in such away that they stepped out of Nature and started haversting Nature... Why would the Planet eventually help create a creature that would destroy the planet...?

Looking at some of Earths other creatures can also open up similar questions, but just focusing on Man alone shows shows SOME floors in the theory of Evolution being the SOLE catalyst.

I agree Evolution may help in subtle changes, like skin pigments, nose shape etc...

For me all the stories of Alien Sightings, Crashes & Abductions all add up to there being an external interest in us and us in them, especially in the last say 20 years, as technology becomes more advanced and camera's and video being on most persons new footage is coming into the public eye, yet most have been put across as fakes its hard to hold truth in them.  But for some reason people hold more truth in an Archaic book (the Bible) or the opinion of One man (Charles Darwin)...

External Tampering with our gene pool for me is the only realistic theory...

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Ugh, fine, I will contribute.  :mad:

We can never really know what created the earth, because they are all theories, and a theory is defined as a "In common usage, people often use the word theory to signify a conjecture, an opinion, or a speculation. In this usage, a theory is not necessarily based on facts; in other words, it is not required to be consistent with true descriptions of reality. True descriptions of reality are more reflectively understood as statements which would be true independently of what people think about them. In this usage, the word is synonymous with hypothesis. This common usage of theory leads to the common but misguided statement "It's not a fact, it's only a theory."

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
we are just the Bacteria inside a larger creature...
I've thought this before, or that out entire solar system or planet is just a single cell of what we would worship as god.

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
"The silent wind of doom!"
Hmm, cool discussion.
I believe we have evolved, but I also believe in a higher power.
I also believe that we have reached our zenith and are devolving.
Yep, we are heading into the new Dark Ages. Right and wrong are not as black and white as they used to be.
So much technology and corruption in politics. God's voice is more silent than it ever was.
Now lucifer is moving his puppets into place. Preparing.
And as for Aliens.. I think crop circles and lights in the sky are signs from the planet,
rather than beings from outer space. They are to warn us of the coming doomsday.
And, yes, I am being serious.
~Soopa Ninja~

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
I going to say God created us, but this is from a Hindu perspective. No Adam or Eve, just he created the universe which ultimately lead to evolution and vola, MAN! 

And is that you in the video?

Rep:
Level 87
Things we fear the most have already happened 2 us
I am going to back up GOD on this one.

IF scientists get to the point where they can duplicate GOD's experiment by making LIFE out of NOTHING, then I will reconsider my opinion.

Until then,,it was GOD who created LIFE,,and of course by the process of evolution we became Humans.
"If u'r about to die,,then think of how good ur life has treated u up to this point.  On the
other hand,,if life hasn't treated u good up to this point,,then take joy in the fact that
it's not going to bother u for much longer."

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Aliens.

When a meteor shower fellon Earth millions of years ago, part of Mars brought bacteria to Earth.
Which in time became what we are now.

Don't any of you watch Discovery Channel?
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

"The silent wind of doom!"
When a meteor shower fellon Earth millions of years ago, part of Mars brought bacteria to Earth.

So we are technically all Martians?
Besides, I thought they havn't actually found any bacteria on Mars.
~Soopa Ninja~

Rep:
Level 87
Things we fear the most have already happened 2 us
Nooo,,you got it all backwards.  Obviously,,ancient Egyptians were so advanced that they built spaceships and flew to Mars.  That's where they died.
"If u'r about to die,,then think of how good ur life has treated u up to this point.  On the
other hand,,if life hasn't treated u good up to this point,,then take joy in the fact that
it's not going to bother u for much longer."

Rep:
Level 98
Nooo,,you got it all backwards.  Obviously,,ancient Egyptians were so advanced that they built spaceships and flew to Mars.  That's where they died.

Ok, that's just ridiculous. Be serious here.  :mad:

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!

So we are technically all Martians?
Besides, I thought they havn't actually found any bacteria on Mars.

Pretty much.
They did.
So, we're practically searching for ourselves. We're Martians!
Well, the bacterias were.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Sumerian's seem to think we have an Alien connection... Look them up or watch this:-

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Hey, I think I also saw something similar.
There's also some Egyptian Hieroglphs, that has a picture VERY similar to a Helicopter, A submarine, and a flying saucer.

I'll look for the pic...

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Go and look around for OOPARTS, they are objects that shouldn't be where they are, ie, a jet sculpture from Egypt, a battery from Baghdad thats thousands of years old, or a metal sphere that existed before the dinosaurs.  Strange stuff, look into crystal skulls found at Lubaantum too.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER.

ill link cause this is huge

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg

i have been touched by his noodly appendages

http://www.venganza.org/

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Go and look around for OOPARTS, they are objects that shouldn't be where they are, ie, a jet sculpture from Egypt, a battery from Baghdad thats thousands of years old, or a metal sphere that existed before the dinosaurs.  Strange stuff, look into crystal skulls found at Lubaantum too.

I can't explain the other OOPARTS, but the Baghdad Battery is out of the equation.
For some of you who don't know what a Baghdad Battery is, to put it simply is a clay pot filled with H2SO4 and alumunium or something which produce electricity.

Surprising? Not at all.

It only creates 2 Volts of electricity!

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Another method could be frequencies... Like Radio Stations and such like the operate in different levels, may be there are beings as you mention around us right now, kind of like how we can see Bacteria but they can't see us.

It could be that like the Bacteria we have inside us we are just the Bacteria inside a larger creature...

Could be that our eyes just can't pick up the frequency.

-
Now, we all know Xenu wants revenge on us, so I suggest that we start our fallout shelters early!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
 God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs... Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth...
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I'M SUPERMAN!
Rep:
Level 88
HURR DE DURRR
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
My opinion:  God, through evolution or any other "miracle".  To me, Science is a miracle of creation.  Simple as that.  Why can't God and Science be related?  Honestly, think about it.  I strongly believe they CAN be related in a good way.  That is all I am going to say.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 03:08:40 AM by Arwym »

I'M SUPERMAN!
Rep:
Level 88
HURR DE DURRR
Beacause Magic doesn't agree with science. It's just a bunch of athiest bastards who don't want any mystery in life, they want to prove that there isn't a god or greater being. Fine llet 'em do it, that just makes it scarier for them when they die.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude

...are you serious?

I mean, that stuff is cool, but calling them o-parts? That's from a freaking manga lol.

Also, ya'll know my position. No point in saying it again.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Well, I don't mean to point out something that you obviously should've figured out, but the manga is titled after the real thing. (Whaddya know, right?)

Also, ooparts don't really have anything to do with this topic, but are one of the things I am most interested in, so I'm going to post this picture, which is just mind-bending:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 01:32:36 PM by Holkeye »

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
I don't see any pic, Holk. :(

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
OK... Here's the thing...

God Created Man... Why ?

Aleins Created Man... Why ?

Evolution Created Man... Why ?

God = He likes creating stuff, and got carried away after making all the stars and other stuff, he thaught lets add a creature that's going to destory all I have made... (So I don't credit this idea)

Aleins = Came to Earth Wanted Slaves, they made slaves more adapt to the planet using primate DNA (We can travel the Stars, land on other planets and create life, so why not credit this idea ?)

Evolution = Creates all creatures by Natural Selection, the changes are geared by the planet and natural surroundings of the creature... (And in that discounts it's self from the orgin point of man... Man Adpats Nature to suite it's needs, not Nature adapting Man... And for this reason I don't credit this idea)

So the most likely in a common sense point of view is we came to be from intelligent design and that design laid out by Alien life forms.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 05:22:08 PM by landofshadows »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
LoS, I never have any idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
I am not good at conveying myself...

Here's a Video:- http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2LRGbfz9ZWg

Origin'f of Man by Michael Tsarion - He talks about how Mankind came to be and backs it up with man readings into different historical texts. (4 parts all worth watching)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 05:24:27 PM by landofshadows »

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
LoS, you're theories are pretty illogical, anything can be argued with God, even God himself.
What created the aliens that later on created us?
What created the big bang?

But, this my good sir is one of the mysteries of life, and I doubt anyone will ever know.
My personal belief is God created us.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
Evolution is the only logical answer.

There is no proof of aliens, or God.

Scientists have been watching evolution, and it is clear we were not made by some being of supreme power.

Rep:
Level 94
If you want to be scientific about it, there is no proof of evolution, either.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Evolution is the only logical answer.

There is no proof of aliens, or God.

Scientists have been watching evolution, and it is clear we were not made by some being of supreme power.

How do they know what they're watching then?  ;8

On side note, if evolution was true, then there would certainly be a lot less species walking this earth.

I'M SUPERMAN!
Rep:
Level 88
HURR DE DURRR
Evolution is a weak theory (notice a "theory" not a law) because it decides that man came from adapting monkeys, but what would have caused that change? I also dislike when scientists say we come from Africa, because as they preach evolution, there are still monkeys in Africa, are there not, and they don't really seem to understand that evolution is changes that add on to existing traits to survive, so I believe that the first humans were either albino or white, because darker people developed the higher collagen concentration to protect themselves from the sun. I can understand aliens, but I think if they were to show themselves, we would destroy them, having pride in our own advancement. I reason God, because what can't be explained can be explained through the use of him.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Evolution is a weak theory (notice a "theory" not a law) because it decides that man came from adapting monkeys, but what would have caused that change? I also dislike when scientists say we come from Africa, because as they preach evolution, there are still monkeys in Africa, are there not, and they don't really seem to understand that evolution is changes that add on to existing traits to survive, so I believe that the first humans were either albino or white, because darker people developed the higher collagen concentration to protect themselves from the sun. I can understand aliens, but I think if they were to show themselves, we would destroy them, having pride in our own advancement. I reason God, because what can't be explained can be explained through the use of him.
+1

Scientists automatically assuming that we're all from Africa is like saying that all that can be invented already has been.

Rep:
Level 94
What caused that change? The same thing that causes all changes: necessity.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
And it was a pioneer monkey with a certain height of intelligent higher compared to other monkeys that triggered the evolution.
OH COURSE NOT ALL MONKEYS EVOLVE.

I'M SUPERMAN!
Rep:
Level 88
HURR DE DURRR
Oh, and there was no necessity for the other monkeys?
And it was a pioneer monkey with a certain height of intelligent higher compared to other monkeys that triggered the evolution.
OH COURSE NOT ALL MONKEYS EVOLVE.
So if a dog is smart enough, it will rotate its pelvis and walk on two feet?
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
Which brings us back to evolution.

As humans evolved from homo habilis, to homo erectus, to homo neanderthalensis and eventually to homo sapiens, their brains became larger as they evolved, there spine went upright because of evolution.

Evolution is when a certain species inherits traits from an ancestor, thus evolving into the next generation of that species. Which is how us, homo sapiens, came to logically be.

If you went into a scientists lab and started blabbing your theory's of God and aliens, you would be shot down almost instantly. Their is so much hard evidence and proof that there is such a thing as EVOLUTION. Everything evolves, even single celled organisms will evolve eventually.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Which brings us back to evolution.

As humans evolved from homo habilis, to homo erectus, to homo neanderthalensis and eventually to homo sapiens, their brains became larger as they evolved, there spine went upright because of evolution.

Evolution is when a certain species inherits traits from an ancestor, thus evolving into the next generation of that species. Which is how us, homo sapiens, came to logically be.

If you know all that shit, you should know that just because it's logical doesn't mean it's true.

If you went into a scientists lab and started blabbing your theory's of God and aliens, you would be shot down almost instantly. Their is so much hard evidence and proof that there is such a thing as EVOLUTION. Everything evolves, even single celled organisms will evolve eventually.

It's "theories", and scientists have been wrong in the past.
Your a closed minded science obsessed dumbshit, I may be a closed minded religious fag (figuratively speaking), but there's even more proof of God than evolution, suck it.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Evolution is crap

Look at these scenarios
Momma fish gives birth to fishies, one of them has lungs, fishie dies for lack of air.
A dog growing wings

Test tubes my ass,  it is impossible for a human to create life without altering other life.

Many scientists have made multiple points in the direction of a creator.
Ever seen a sponge with a brain? Neither have I.

Rep:
Level 94
Evolution doesn't work like that. It's not that all of a sudden a fish had lungs. It is a slow process.

That's not what I mean. The necessity was for some monkeys to become smarter, so evolution slowly allowed them to use more of their brains.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:23:54 AM by Holkeye »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
but there's even more proof of God than evolution, suck it.

Quoted for absolute hilarity and falsehood.

See, there are these people called scientists and researchers. And what they do is spend all the time studying, and doing tests and why would anyone believe scientists? With their crazy theories and facts. They have this large pile of facts that grows larger every day, and then God has no pile at all. But I'm sorry, I guess this topic is Opposite Land, where by having no proof, you have proof.

Even still, the theory of evolution does not state that a God cannot exist.

Evolution is crap

Look at these scenarios
Momma fish gives birth to fishies, one of them has lungs, fishie dies for lack of air.
A dog growing wings

Test tubes my ass,  it is impossible for a human to create life without altering other life.

Many scientists have made multiple points in the direction of a creator.
Ever seen a sponge with a brain? Neither have I.

Perhaps it's just me, but it doesn't seem like your post makes any sense. It seems like you're trying to sound like you're making a point, when you really aren't. Evolution doesn't say that fish will grow lungs or a dog will grow wings.

As for your scientists remark:

The validity of evolution rests on what the evidence says, not on what people say. There is overwhelming evidence in support of evolution and no valid arguments against it.

One needs to examine not how many scientists and professors believe something, but what their conviction is based upon. Most of those who reject evolution do so because of personal religious conviction, not because of evidence. The evidence supports evolution. And the evidence, not personal authority, is what objective conclusions should be based on.

Often, claims that scientists reject evolution or support creationism are exaggerated or fraudulent. Many scientists doubt some aspects of evolution, especially recent hypotheses about it. All good scientists are skeptical about evolution (and everything else) and open to the possibility, however remote, that serious challenges to it may appear. Creationists frequently seize such expressions of healthy skepticism to imply that evolution is highly questionable. They fail to understand that the fact that evolution has withstood many years of such questioning really means it is about as certain as facts can get.

Quote from: SirJackRex link=topic=21333.msg281690#msg281690

On side note, if evolution was true, then there would certainly be a lot less species walking this earth.

Species can evolve in ways that are not obvious. For example, the immune system of horseshoe crabs today is probably quite different from that of horseshoe crabs of millions of years ago.

Bah, you get the point. Enough for now I suppose, until one of you produces a valid argument.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Wouldn't the growth of body parts in a slow process be quite annoying?
A fish after some odd years starts to grow little feet, just stumps in the beginning, but, wouldn't annoying to have these little stumps, and after fifty generations they finally become something you can actually use? Honestly, who the hell would design that, and isn't it a little too soon to be showing that on all the discovery channel shows about fish and dinosaurs? We can't prove evolution, and of course, books are books, but why would someone like Darwin come along and develop Darwinism? Ultimately, what would trigger the process of a Monkey's brain getting smarter? For that matter, why would it? Monkeys never really have to adapt because they stay in (usually) in the same area,  of course they move around, most monkeys are territorial, so why would they all have to adapt? To take over others territories? Sounds a little fishy to me. (No pun intended)
If birds evolved from lizards, the wings that they would eventual grow would be a hassle to get around with.

I'M SUPERMAN!
Rep:
Level 88
HURR DE DURRR
Evolution doesn't work like that. It's not that all of a sudden a fish had lungs. It is a slow process.

That's not what I mean. The necessity was for some monkeys to become smarter, so evolution slowly allowed them to use more of their brains.

Ah, but if there was a need to change it would have effected the population as a whole.
I'll say it again, science is a religion. It's athiesm. Anything proved by science can be proved by other religions with just as much proof.

Same as above.

Another idea I have, which is enough to get me locked up in an asylum. Who's to say that I'm not a sentient being, alone floating aethereally through some vacuum. I mean, we know individually who we are, what we feel, but never can we truly experience another. Therefore I suggest in the name of Conflict, that life is a simulated dream in the mind of ourselves, sentient being, alone. when we die we wake up in the empty, solemn place just to fall asleep and dream up another world, perhaps very different from the first.

Just a thought.

*brought to you by Vault, shit keeps me ravin'
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
You're getting a bit off topic.

Evolution doesn't prove how we are here, it's just a theory on how we got here.
I've got a mind twister for your scientist buddies, who created Evolution? The Big Bang? What triggered that? (Yes I believe I am repeating myself, but I can't remember if anyone actually did counter it)

I still believe in the big sneeze, however.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
No one created evolution, genius. It is a natural part of life. There is absolutely  no proof of God or aliens. And those shows and people you see on TV who claim they have seen aliens or that God came to them, are doing it for publicity.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
No one created evolution, genius. It is a natural part of life. There is absolutely  no proof of God or aliens. And those shows and people you see on TV who claim they have seen aliens or that God came to them, are doing it for publicity.

What created life? How did life come to be?

EDIT: Also, what the hell do aliens have to do with that, if someone saw them it doesn't mean they created life, it could just be another part of evolution, genius.

Rep:
Level 97
A fish after some odd years starts to grow little feet, just stumps in the beginning, but, wouldn't annoying to have these little stumps, and after fifty generations they finally become something you can actually use? Honestly, who the hell would design that, and isn't it a little too soon to be showing that on all the discovery channel shows about fish and dinosaurs? We can't prove evolution, and of course, books are books, but why would someone like Darwin come along and develop Darwinism? Ultimately, what would trigger the process of a Monkey's brain getting smarter? For that matter, why would it? Monkeys never really have to adapt because they stay in (usually) in the same area,  of course they move around, most monkeys are territorial, so why would they all have to adapt? To take over others territories? Sounds a little fishy to me. (No pun intended)
If birds evolved from lizards, the wings that they would eventual grow would be a hassle to get around with.

It sounds like you're confusing evolution with mutation. Evolution is about adapting to change. You're talking about going to the freak show to see the bearded lady, man with a tail, and the six-eyed baby.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!

It sounds like you're confusing evolution with mutation. Evolution is about adapting to change. You're talking about going to the freak show to see the bearded lady, man with a tail, and the six-eyed baby.

:D
If evolution for most animals is growing body parts to adapt, and the body parts and are grown over generations, then some of the generations would have stumps, and it would be a hassle to get around, it would make swimming and walking slower, you'd have more parts for predators to get at, and it just seems pretty inconvenient.
Darwinism is an extremely stupid process of life.

Rep:
Level 97
LOL posted while I was posting again. Anyway, I see what you're getting at now.

Well, you don't have a stump where your tail used to be, do you? Kinda, I guess, but it doesn't really protrude as much to call it a stump. Same for what you're implying. But no, we would never really see animals "incomplete"

1.  Evolution does not predict incomplete creatures. In fact if we ever saw such a thing it would pretty much disprove evolution. In order to survive, all creatures must be sufficiently adapted to their environment; thus, they must be complete in some sense.

The basic false assumption here is twofold: first, that intermediates are necessarily incomplete, and second that once variation beyond the "type" is allowed, any and all variation is allowed (this latter is typological or essentialist thinking).

2. We see many creatures in transitional stages. These may be considered incomplete in that they do not have all the same features and abilities of similar or related creatures:

* Various gliding animals, such as the flying squirrel, which may be on their way to becoming more batlike
 * The euglena, which is halfway to plant
 * Aquatic snakes
 * Reptiles with a "third eye" that only gets infrared
 * Various fish that can live out of water for long periods, use their fins as legs, and breathe air
 * The various jaw bones of Probainognathus that were in the process of migrating toward the middle ear
 * Various Eocene whales, which had hooved forelimbs and hindlimbs.

Evolution doesn't prove how we are here, it's just a theory on how we got here.
I've got a mind twister for your scientist buddies, who created Evolution? The Big Bang? What triggered that? (Yes I believe I am repeating myself, but I can't remember if anyone actually did counter it)

I still believe in the big sneeze, however.

I'll just respond with this:

Nothing in the real world can be proved with absolute certainty. However, high degrees of certainty can be reached. In the case of evolution, we have huge amounts of data from diverse fields. Extensive evidence exists in all of the following different forms (Theobald 2004). Each new piece of evidence tests the rest.

* All life shows a fundamental unity in the mechanisms of replication, heritability, catalysis, and metabolism.
    * Common descent predicts a nested hierarchy pattern, or groups within groups. We see just such an arrangement in a unique, consistent, well-defined hierarchy, the so-called tree of life.
    * Different lines of evidence give the same arrangement of the tree of life. We get essentially the same results whether we look at morphological, biochemical, or genetic traits.
    * Fossil animals fit in the same tree of life. We find several cases of transitional forms in the fossil record.
    * The fossils appear in a chronological order, showing change consistent with common descent over hundreds of millions of years and inconsistent with sudden creation.
    * Many organisms show rudimentary, vestigial characters, such as sightless eyes or wings useless for flight.
    * Atavisms sometimes occur. An atavism is the reappearance of a character present in a distant ancestor but lost in the organism's immediate ancestors. We only see atavisms consistent with organisms' evolutionary histories.
    * Ontogeny (embryology and developmental biology) gives information about the historical pathway of an organism's evolution. For example, as embryos whales and many snakes develop hind limbs that are reabsorbed before birth.
    * The distribution of species is consistent with their evolutionary history. For example, marsupials are mostly limited to Australia, and the exceptions are explained by continental drift. Remote islands often have species groups that are highly diverse in habits and general appearance but closely related genetically. Squirrel diversity coincides with tectonic and sea level changes (Mercer and Roth 2003). Such consistency still holds when the distribution of fossil species is included.
    * Evolution predicts that new structures are adapted from other structures that already exist, and thus similarity in structures should reflect evolutionary history rather than function. We see this frequently. For example, human hands, bat wings, horse legs, whale flippers, and mole forelimbs all have similar bone structure despite their different functions.
    * The same principle applies on a molecular level. Humans share a large percentage of their genes, probably more than 70 percent, with a fruit fly or a nematode worm.
    * When two organisms evolve the same function independently, different structures are often recruited. For example, wings of birds, bats, pterosaurs, and insects all have different structures. Gliding has been implemented in many additional ways. Again, this applies on a molecular level, too.
    * The constraints of evolutionary history sometimes lead to suboptimal structures and functions. For example, the human throat and respiratory system make it impossible to breathe and swallow at the same time and make us susceptible to choking.
    * Suboptimality appears also on the molecular level. For example, much DNA is nonfunctional.
    * Some nonfunctional DNA, such as certain transposons, pseudogenes, and endogenous viruses, show a pattern of inheritance indicating common ancestry.
    * Speciation has been observed.
    * The day-to-day aspects of evolution -- heritable genetic change, morphological variation and change, functional change, and natural selection -- are seen to occur at rates consistent with common descent.

Furthermore, the different lines of evidence are consistent; they all point to the same big picture. For example, evidence from gene duplications in the yeast genome shows that its ability to ferment glucose evolved about eighty million years ago. Fossil evidence shows that fermentable fruits became prominent about the same time. Genetic evidence for major change around that time also is found in fruiting plants and fruit flies (Benner et al. 2002).

The evidence is extensive and consistent, and it points unambiguously to evolution, including common descent, change over time, and adaptation influenced by natural selection. It would be preposterous to refer to these as anything other than facts.

As for aliens, it would be silly to say they absolutely cannot exist. Whether they do or not is another story, but the possibility is rather high, all things considered.

Oh yeah, I forgot about your comment on what triggered evolution/Big Bang/universe:

The assumption that every event has a cause, although common in our experience, is not necessarily universal. The apparent lack of cause for some events, such as radioactive decay, suggests that there might be exceptions. There are also hypotheses, such as alternate dimensions of time or an eternally oscillating universe, that allow a universe without a first cause.

By definition, a cause comes before an event. If time began with the universe, "before" does not even apply to it, and it is logically impossible that the universe be caused.

This claim raises the question of what caused God. If, as some claim, God does not need a cause, then by the same reasoning, neither does the universe.

I see though that you people are not well informed on the theory of evolution (or creationism for that matter), so I'm going to step out of this debate now, since that's what I was looking for in the first place: a stronger debate. I may check back in after a while though. :P
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 06:00:07 AM by HaloOfTheSun »

Rep:
Level 94

Ah, but if there was a need to change it would have effected the population as a whole.
I'll say it again, science is a religion. It's athiesm. Anything proved by science can be proved by other religions with just as much proof.

This is a bit off topic, but there are so many things wrong with this that I had to say something.

Science is not a religion.
Atheism is not a religion either, it is by definition the lack of religion.
And things can not be proved by religion with the same amount of proof, because religions are faith based, and science is fact based. The main difference is that evolution is still a theory, while you don't hear devout Christians calling it the "Christ Theory".

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, I know I said I was done. But I just want to clarify something else. You guys seem to not understand what a theory is. You're treating the theory of evolution as though it's not proven simply because it is a theory.

1.  The word theory, in the context of science, does not imply uncertainty. It means "a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena" (Barnhart 1948). In the case of the theory of evolution, the following are some of the phenomena involved. All are facts:
          * Life appeared on earth more than two billion years ago;
          * Life forms have changed and diversified over life's history;
          * Species are related via common descent from one or a few common ancestors;
          * Natural selection is a significant factor affecting how species change.
      Many other facts are explained by the theory of evolution as well.

2. The theory of evolution has proved itself in practice. It has useful applications in epidemiology, pest control, drug discovery, and other areas (Bull and Wichman 2001; Eisen and Wu 2002; Searls 2003).

3. Besides the theory, there is the fact of evolution, the observation that life has changed greatly over time. The fact of evolution was recognized even before Darwin's theory. The theory of evolution explains the fact.

4. If "only a theory" were a real objection, creationists would also be issuing disclaimers complaining about the theory of gravity, atomic theory, the germ theory of disease, and the theory of limits (on which calculus is based). The theory of evolution is no less valid than any of these. Even the theory of gravity still receives serious challenges (Milgrom 2002). Yet the phenomenon of gravity, like evolution, is still a fact.

5. Creationism is neither theory nor fact; it is, at best, only an opinion. Since it explains nothing, it is scientifically useless.

Rep:
Level 94
A theory is not a fact. A theory is something made that follows fact, used to support it since there is no other known explanation. Therefore, a theory does imply uncertainty, but it does not imply definition.

Rep:
Level 97
True, but "in science, a theory is a mathematical or logical explanation, or a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation. It follows from this that for scientists "theory" and "fact" do not necessarily stand in opposition. For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behavior are Newton's theory of universal gravitation, and general relativity."

As you said, it does not imply definition, but it's as close as we can get for now. I never said that all theories are facts, either.

Rep:
Level 94
Ok, but anyway, the point that I was trying to get to was that religious people don't consider creationism a theory. It is taken on faith alone that there is a great creator. I personally believe both. Its not really a god in the traditional sense, but something doesn't just come out of nothing.

Rep:
Level 97
I see. I apologize because I should have been a bit more broad in my two previous posts, but that doesn't matter now anyway. But I get your point, although there are many people who consider creationism a theory and scientific. Personally I do not believe in creationism at all, there is just no proof. I am open to the possibility of a god though, as I am agnostic, but the presence of some higher power is not ruled out by evolution. There can still be a god even though we have evolved from monkeys.

I am open to the possibility of a god simply because the origins of everything (which is opening up a whole new mess of things that I won't get into here) is unknown. It's incomprehensible how something can just be, so the idea of a higher being or something is possible.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I personally believe both. Its not really a god in the traditional sense, but something doesn't just come out of nothing.

Rep:
Level 94
I personally believe both. Its not really a god in the traditional sense, but something doesn't just come out of nothing.

Oh good, someone else made a lame leaving topic and then came back after 2 weeks?

Anyway, what people struggle with is the simple truth that humans aren't capable of sensing everything. In fact, our senses are limited to 5 types of input, so we are severely limited on what we can be aware of. My point in all of this is that just because we can't sense something, doesn't mean its not there. This goes for many things other than just "god".
Another thing is that evolution is all fine and good, but if we turn the clocks back far enough, eventually we get to a point where finding a previous ancestor is impossible. Also, pertaining to things other than life, such as planets, gases, minerals; these things are material. I don't know, as nobody does, if these things always existed in their most base form, and only after time came together into their current form, or if something had to originally create these materials. Like I said earlier, nothing comes from nothing.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Evolution the inheiritance of traits over a period of time. Where the hell would a fish got lungs from? Or eyes, or anything? According to evolution, a single cell organism was slowly made by the mixture of chemicals. A cell needs every part of its body to live, if it "slowly happend" then a little would form then die without the componets. And when it was formed, where would it get scales/gills/eyes/etc. to become a fish?

So much points towards a creator, God.
God made everything, and if you don't except that, when Jesus comes back, you guys are going to hell.

Granted, nobody was there for creation or the other Bible stories, but people have found Noah's Ark and the true Mount Sinai. People have found copies of books of the Bible, and they are the same as today's.

Rep:
Level 94

God made everything, and if you don't except that, when Jesus comes back, you guys are going to hell.

Jesus and God are two different concepts. I believe in some kind of God, but don't believe that Jesus was his son. Thinking that I'm going to hell when I die doesn't make it so. Thinking that there even is a hell doesn't make that so.

Granted, nobody was there for creation or the other Bible stories, but people have found Noah's Ark and the true Mount Sinai. People have found copies of books of the Bible, and they are the same as today's.

They have not found these things. This is just what evangelists tell you to make you think humans know more than we really do.

I'M SUPERMAN!
Rep:
Level 88
HURR DE DURRR

This is a bit off topic, but there are so many things wrong with this that I had to say something.

Science is not a religion.
Atheism is not a religion either, it is by definition the lack of religion.
And things can not be proved by religion with the same amount of proof, because religions are faith based, and science is fact based. The main difference is that evolution is still a theory, while you don't hear devout Christians calling it the "Christ Theory".
Science is based on "facts". That's what they tell you. Religion has "facts" too.
Atheism is like the color white. It is a color, and yet is the absence of color.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Rep:
Level 94

Science is based on "facts". That's what they tell you. Religion has "facts" too.
Atheism is like the color white. It is a color, and yet is the absence of color.

White is not the absence of color, white is every color in the spectrum combined.

Maybe I should've been a little more clear:
Religion has facts just like historical fiction has facts.

I'M SUPERMAN!
Rep:
Level 88
HURR DE DURRR
Look it up in a dictionary. White is the absence of color. Black is all of the spectrum combined.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Estimate of your IQ = falling

It can be either, depending on if you're mixing light, paint or digital coloir values.

White light is all the colours combined, hence the existance of rainbows, filters and the cool effects you can make when you split light with prisms. In light, black is the absence of colour.

In CMYK printing, white is the absence of colour, and black is achieved through using all colours together.

This is like primary school stuff, come on :/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 09:15:04 PM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant

Jesus and God are two different concepts. I believe in some kind of God, but don't believe that Jesus was his son. Thinking that I'm going to hell when I die doesn't make it so. Thinking that there even is a hell doesn't make that so.

They have not found these things. This is just what evangelists tell you to make you think humans know more than we really do.

1). Then you must be Jewish or Muslim or something, they believe in one God, but no Jesus

2). I have seen videos and videos on how the Bible must be true

Rep:
Level 94

1). Then you must be Jewish or Muslim or something, they believe in one God, but no Jesus

2). I have seen videos and videos on how the Bible must be true

1. Why do I have to be "something"? Why do my beliefs have to follow the set guidelines of a pre-existing institution? If more people would take a few minutes and actually think about what they really believe, instead of choosing a default religion, then this world would be a far better place. Your attempts to box me into something that you can understand further lifts my theory that people are, for the most part, sheep.

2. I have seen videos and videos on how 9-11 was enacted by the US. Is that true too?

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
1. Then what are you?

2. No, but I can see where you come from

Rep:
Level 94
1. Then what are you?

2. No, but I can see where you come from

I am what I am.

I stand at a curious position, I am a catholic and thus I believe in God, but as someone who fancies himself as well-educated and progressive I cannot accept the idea that God went Bewitched and create us all in an Abracadabra. I find it unfeasible and incorrect.

I believe Darwin was correct, we come from unicellular beings that trough natural selection evolved to what we are know, the top of the chain. I also believe life originated in the primordial sea. So far, so similar to a Darwinist, but where do I differ? In how that life was created, I find it that it was indeed God that exhaled the breath of life to the Chaotic Universe and from there he allowed it to evolve on its own, not creating life from nothing, not forcing anything, only exhaling and gifting life to that that was before the Big Bang. At least that is my opinion.

Rep:
Level 94
I stand at a curious position, I am a catholic and thus I believe in God, but as someone who fancies himself as well-educated and progressive I cannot accept the idea that God went Bewitched and create us all in an Abracadabra. I find it unfeasible and incorrect.

I believe Darwin was correct, we come from unicellular beings that trough natural selection evolved to what we are know, the top of the chain. I also believe life originated in the primordial sea. So far, so similar to a Darwinist, but where do I differ? In how that life was created, I find it that it was indeed God that exhaled the breath of life to the Chaotic Universe and from there he allowed it to evolve on its own, not creating life from nothing, not forcing anything, only exhaling and gifting life to that that was before the Big Bang. At least that is my opinion.

I think out of everyone in this topic, I would have to agree with you the most. I don't think of god as s being though, but rather a force or energy. I also don't think that one life form is better or worse than any other life form, thereby making all of us important, while simultaneously rendering none of us important.

I make you words my own, It's hardly devised to think God is a antropomorphic entinty, because as Epicurus said and I quote

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

That describes a flawed God, a God that feels the same emotions than us and thus I cannot accept it, God is far better then us, he is the ultimate good and thus and because he teaches us each day I find it awfully wrong that he would just "use his magic wand".

Rep:
Level 87
Code Geass = Best show EVER XD
Project of the Month winner for May 2008
hm...sorry, to lazy to read through the topic, but I've scanned the beggining and the end. before I begin, cuz I really do enjoy these topics, I've always thought you were a kid LoA O_O

it surprised me more than a little, but ah well, you sound smart enough XD

anyways, moving on.

God has flaws, like Yotaka stated, but he is only a concept after all. Something that was drawn and put there so human beings can have some satisfaction with their being.

As for me, I'm a agnostic as in I usually just tell people I don't give a crap, but debates are different.

The creation of man is leaning far more towards the scientific theorys of evolution. It is highly possible as well as explainable withing reason. However, there are still many factors that seem to be impossible without some kind of, supernatrual, or simply stronger froce than what we have discovered to get involved.

Then it would come down to weather this fantasic force came from a alain, or a God.

a God would be abandoning all reason, it is simply saying, I'm tired of thinking, so heres a painting of the thing responsible. As for aliens, I believe that here are definetly intelligent life forms out there. I also beleive that they have a good chance of looking similar to out structure.

To think that they put us here? it's a bit of a far stretched idea. They would've come back by now.

but then again, I quote an brit I once played devil's advocate with, "Jesus could've been a alien."

Alien or not, I geuss an "evolved" human would be more reasonable. His resurrection, since I do go to a catholic school (go figure), is pretty much undeniable. Yeah, alot of consipiracys are around about it, but if you really put your self in their shoes, it just seems impossible for any of the consipiracys to have been true.

So yeah, maybe he was an alien, that was either sent purposely into Mary's womb to fck up human life, or accendentally, Jesus might've been that second alien contact.