RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED] Full BattleMenu/Menu Control Commands

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I swear I've seen this somewhere but I cannot find it at ALL.

Places Searched:
RMRK.net
RPGMakerVX.net
RPGRevolution.com
Google.com

Searched for:
Menu Tutorials
Command Controls
Menu Controls
etc.

Purpose of the Script:

Like in FFX when the game goes through a tutorial of the menu and explains each function, I'd like to have a similar process. This is so that in the beginning of a game, this script can control the functions of battle menus/commands and out of battle menus/commands to teach the player the basics of the game.

Ex. You learn your first skill and you need to equip it. The menu screen will be prompted, text will appear at the bottom (or top) of the screen that explains what is going on. The cursor scrolls down to the 'Equip Skills' menu, some text is displayed about this new menu. The 'Equip Skills' menu is then prompted, some text displays how this menu is used. While the text is rolling through, the cursor will basically mimic what the text is saying. [like, "Text: The right side of the menu displays your currently available skills," and the cursor will move to the right of the screen and scroll up and down that area to display the skills and such.]. Then after the 'Equip Skills' menu has been fully explained, all the menus close and gameplay resumes.

Ex. Your first battle. The script will teach you what each command means and how it functions in game. [ie. "Text: Your first command is Attack. It will command the current active character to physically attack with their equipped weapon(s)." Then the script scrolls to the Attack command. Then after that it would explain the next command, and so on.]

Basic Funtion of the Script:

By using some sort of method, like perhaps calling a script in an event and in a battle event page, I can control every aspect of the battle menu and out of battle menu(s) commands, the player has no control while it's active (so they cannot do anything but watch), and prioritize text above all windows while this is active (,or during battle just have the text in the usual placement which is just above the commands).

I hope this has been very explanitory, please ask me to clarify anything if there are any questions.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 09:22:20 PM by modern algebra »

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
I'm honestly also really eager to know how this woud be done.  :lol:
This could even prove useful in making other scripts.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 85
Jack of all Trades
KGC Script Library @ rpgmakervx.net has a script that does this, however their site is offline at the moment so i dont have a link for you.
Arclight

A Jack of all Trades
An Ace of None

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Ughhh. Of course the site is down when there is hopes of such a script.  ;9

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Bump

KGC Script Library @ rpgmakervx.net has a script that does this, however their site is offline at the moment so i dont have a link for you.

I have the demo with all the scripts in it. I finally got around to redownloading it and checking the scripts. I have NO idea which one does that. I don't see any that would have the player temporarily 'lose' control of any menu while I do somewhat of a tutorial of the menu. I do see a menu script to change the names of things, but that's not what I'm after.

Rep:
Level 85
Jack of all Trades
misunderstood what you were asking for.
Arclight

A Jack of all Trades
An Ace of None

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
It's not an easy script to imagine - but I think I will give it a shot when I have more time. Don't count on it soon though, and I won't make any promises. I will only do it if I can think of an intuitive way for the user to setup what he wants to happen.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:47:15 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Alright, this script is coming along nicely - I had a good idea (good in my opinion anyway).

The only thing is that I will not be able to allow Cursor movement while a text box is displayed. I hope that's okay with you.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Do you mean that I wouldn't be able to use an animated cursor? Because if you do, that's completely fine. I've been using one for some time now, but it just looks......odd. So I'm taking it out anyway.

Rep:
Level 97
No, you can use an animated cursor. I just meant that you wouldn't be able to, say, move the cursor down to the End command while a textbox is up. Either the textbox runs, or the cursor does. Also, I am thinking about it hard, but for now it looks like the textbox won't be able to respond to player input during a tutorial, simply because of the way I have designed the script.

EDIT::

Disregard that last comment actually. I can think of a way.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
This sounds awesome. It sounds like everything is going really well! I really appreciate it MA  :D

Rep:
Level 97
Alright, well I'm going to put this request on hold for a little while as I am working on a new version of the ATS. Basically, the only thing this script is missing right now that I've planned is the ability to have choices and a text window. I am putting it on hold because I hope to make every feature of the ATS compatible with this script, and the way it is set up now it will not completely (though a lot of it will).

Anyway, just an update.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Good luck with the ATS, modern!
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 97
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30151.0.html

Alright, I just remembered this script yesterday and so I finished it up.