RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
International Spriting Contest

Rep: +0/-0Level 70
RMRK Junior
SihvMan's International Spriting Contest

Introduction: So I was looking through the resource forum for various and sundry character sprites when I came to a startling realization. We have no sprites of characters from any other cultures! All we have are European and Japanese sprites. Where are all the sprites of Native American Tribals, Chinese workers and nobility, Hawaiians, Indians, Russians, or any of the many unique cultures on this planet. So, rather than simply complain about it and let things remain as they are, I started this contest in the hopes of rectifying this problem.

Goals of the Contest
  • Create a databank of useful multicultural sprites in the hopes of expanding the boundaries of RPG making!
  • Eventually, I hope to dissect and compile the submission of this contest (as well as other sources) into a (hopefully) better sprite generator than the ones currently available out there. I have the programming skills to do so but lack the artistic talent to make the sprites myself.
  • Posting the generator on this site to facilitate better RPG Making.
  • Creating an RPG that spans multiple continents and cultures with the results from this contest and the World Map tileset.

Rules for Submission
  • Post sprites as a reply to this topic.
  • Post sprites as full RPG Maker XP styles (4x4 sheets w/ walking capability).
  • All sprites are to be posted with a brief description, including region, historical time frame, gender(s), and general social/economic class(nobles, merchants, peasants, etc.). If possible, post a picture of real outfit with your sprite.

Terms of Contest
By posting in this contest, you recognize that it becomes available to the general public. Any material posted can and will become part of the Sprite Generator. Though all authors will be credited, they will not profit financially from this project

Final Notes(Sorry for being long winded!)
  • Contest will (tentatively) end around December 31. As I am not a spriter, I do not know if this is enough time. Depending on the response to the contest, an extension of time may given.
  • Judging will occur in three stages:
    • Open topic discussion where anyone may (politely) express their opinion on any of the sprites.
    • Top thirty(if we get that many) sprite picked by yours truly.
    • Closed ballot vote by poll posted in separate topic.
  • Top five sprites will receive a prize(yet to be decided)

Examples(pulled from Sithjester's site)

Images courtesy of http://untamed.wild-refuge.net/rmxpresources.php?characters

Good luck and have fun spriting!