RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Common Event Skills

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
I've read the common events tutorial, but I haven't quite figured out how to implement it for what I'm trying to do...

First, I cannot find where I can make a skill call a common event. All I see is how to make it activate a switch. Is that not available in 2003?

What I want to do with the skill is to have my character be able to activate the skill in order to "freeze time" temporarily. I have created a poor solution to this dilemma by causing specific characters to react to a switch toggled by the skill while a common event uses a timer to turn off the switch. Ultimately, I need the skill to stop all movement except the hero's for a period of time. To my dismay, the 'halt all movement' command does not do this. Is it possible to stop all movement through use of this skill?

Currently, I am doing the following:
Player uses 'Time Stop' = Switch: 0075 Time Stop = ON
Common Event: Time Stop     Trigger: Parallel Process     Trigger Switch: 0075 Time Stop
>Tint Screen R100 G100 B100 S000
>Branch if Timer 1 is 0M 00S Less/Equal
>>Timer 1 Set 0M 10S
>>Timer 1 Start
>End
>Branch if Timer 1 is 0M 05S Less/Equal
>>Timer 1 Stop
>>Timer 1 Set 0M 00S
>>Tint Screen R100 G100 B100 S100
>>Switch: 0075 Time Stop = OFF
>End

Using this method only affects events that I script to react to the switch. Can I do something similar to this for all sprites without using a switch in order to temporarily stop their movement?

Cheers!  :pw:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Haha, you'll need to put, like, a page in each and every event that says if the switch (#75) is on, then it does nothing. And the common event you have there is just for looks, I can tell, but as far as I know, there is no other way.

That's sad. Looks like I will either have to go with making the skill only work with specific things or change the skill altogether. Oh well... At least I got my temporary speed boost to work easily :}

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
Project of the Month winner for May 2009
You can make a skill call a common event, but it takes some work around.

Your skill turns on a switch. Make a new page in your battle events that checks if this switch is turned on.  If it is, "Call Common Event." Checkmate.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Hmmmm. I actually thought this was an out-of-battle thing.

Well, it is mostly for out of battle, but there are some cases when it would be used in battle. The ultimate goal, however, seems unreachable in-that it is not possible to create a common event that does not require the affected events to not have an extra page triggered by the common event.

Like madriel222 said, you can have a skill activate a switch, which can then activate a common event. I was just confused because one of the common event tutorials here said that a skill can call a common event, but it never mentioned needing a work-around to do so.

Either way, if anyone can think of a way to make a common event stop all movement temporarily without needing each event to have a conditional page checking for the switch, that would solve my problem. Otherwise, I will have to stick with my "work with specific things or change the skill altogether" idea.

Thanks for your input so far.