RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Continuous BGM

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
This forum is exactly what I've been looking for in order to learn to better my games!

I'm wondering if if it is possible to make the BGM continue from where it stopped when interrupted by a battle or other event. I'm looking for something similar to how Final Fantasy 6 would memorize the BGM position before a battle and continue the music from that same spot afterward.

Also, is it possible to continue the BGM into a battle without restarting it? For example, a monster appears on the map with its BGM playing, walks over to the hero to initiate a battle, and then switches to the battle screen with the same BGM still playing uninterrupted.

At this point, this request is nit-picking, but I would like to have smoother transitions between my music. Let me know if you can help.

PS: I'm going to add a bean just because I haven't seen them before  :mex:

A dying ember still burns
To make the music play uninterrupted, you need to have an event that uses the Change System BGM command (found on the first command tab) to change both the Battle music and the BattleEnd music to the same song as whatever is playing on the map. The best place to implement this is in the same event that moves the player to a given map, so that the music will be continuous for every encounter that occurs on that map. Generally speaking, you want to add it to the beginning of the event. If you want it to be continuous only for a specific encounter (such as a boss fight), add the code to the event that triggers the encounter before it initiates the battle. Your two lines of code should look like this...

Change System BGM: Batl->MusicName Set
Change System BGM: BatlEnd->MusicName Set

...with MusicName being whatever the song is called. Hopefully that helps make your transitions smoother. I have not, however, been able to figure out how to get it to memorize the position of a song and then pick back up from there at a later time. If you use the Change Variable command, the "Other" operand at the bottom has an option in the drop-down list called "MIDI Play Pos. (Tick)". This seems to be what would save the current position of the MIDI, but I cannot figure out any way to make it start playing from that position once you've saved it in a variable. Hopefully somebody else can provide some insight.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 06:48:17 PM by Dracomortis »
Warning: posts may contain traces of gaming. If you are allergic to gaming, you should avoid these posts, as the side effects of direct contact with gaming include but are not limited to drowsiness, upset stomach, headache, loss of memory, lack of self esteem, paralysis or other loss of bodily functions, loss of significant other, humiliation, unexplained death, or loss of hair. If you experience any of these symptoms, please contact your doctor immediately.

I'm glad that you provided the insight that you did. I didn't think anyone would ever reply!

Your fix worked perfectly and now it doesn't sound like a drunken DJ is handling the music on that boss fight. Before, it restarted the song three times even though there were no breaks between it.

I'll try to play around with the midi ticks and see if I can work something out. Hopefully the name doesn't imply that it works only with MIDI files...

Thanks again!

A dying ember still burns
No problem. I'm still playing around with it, but at this point I'm drawing blanks. If you happen to figure it out, I'd be interested in knowing how to do it, too.
Warning: posts may contain traces of gaming. If you are allergic to gaming, you should avoid these posts, as the side effects of direct contact with gaming include but are not limited to drowsiness, upset stomach, headache, loss of memory, lack of self esteem, paralysis or other loss of bodily functions, loss of significant other, humiliation, unexplained death, or loss of hair. If you experience any of these symptoms, please contact your doctor immediately.