RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED] Switching characters

Rep:
Level 87
...I'M HUNGRY! Food plawks
What's the easiest way to assign a specific function to a key press? Example: Press z (at any time) changes character graphic.
I've been experimenting with common events, but I can't get it to work. Anyone?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 03:33:14 AM by Yawgmothsbud »

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
what's the problem with it?

in common event use a contditional branch = button imput
<>Set Change actor graphic: _________
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 87
Thats the first thing I tried...and it doesnt do anything  :-[ I have no idea why not.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
What the... Mind showing us the page of the event?

Rep:
Level 87
Ok, Wtf...I started pressing keys randomely and "D" activated it...why on earth does 'D' = 'Z'???

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Because, it's the game settings. You change what button equals what. Your enter button/spacebar is actually "C." I guess this is resolved!

Rep:
Level 87
Two more questions, actually  ;D

1. How can I access these settings? (I've never seen them)

2. How can I set it up so that press z changes char, z again goes to next char, etc. until a final z returns to main char? I tried using a loop and it froze  :-[

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?

Rep:
Level 87
ok, got the first one down...now how about #2? Jump to label freezes the game as well...

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
ok condtional branche with varible

after he presses it once add +1 to a varible

NOW have dontional branch varible = 1
                      Condtional brnach = button imput
                               Change actor grapphic.

Rep:
Level 87
zomg..it almost works...except that when I have it add + 1 (constant) to the variable, it adds a random number instead. Yes, i am POSITIVE that it's set to + 1 CONSTANT. Why is it doing this? :o

EDIT: accidentally had my char X value as one of the variables Duh. But after changing that, now it doesnt work at all! this just isnt my day  :'(
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 11:20:08 PM by Yawgmothsbud »

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
after button imput on the first one put wait 2 frames

Rep:
Level 87
ok, this is what i have...anyone know how to make it work?

Shit, nothing is working for me today...couldnt get the image to show so heres the link...

http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=helpploxit9.png

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
what happens wrong? also put the varible change after the cange graphic and lower 5 frames to 2 or 3

Rep:
Level 87
Made those changes, but now pressing z (d actually  :)) flashes through character 2 and stops on char 3...

EDIT: however long you hold D, it flashes through the three chars and stops switching when you let go...how can i get it to be one press, one char switch...(and why does how long you hold the key matter???)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 11:43:27 PM by Yawgmothsbud »

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
ok change it back to 5 move it under (Unless you already did)

no...

change all the conditional branches out of the main one. put each in it's own.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Yeah. Well, make the first conditional branch the "if Z is pressed" and then make the other conditional branches separately in the first conditional (Z press check) branch. Make sense? I think this is how it should be done.

Rep:
Level 87
what's the problem with it?

in common event use a contditional branch = button imput
<>Set Change actor graphic: _________

What Is Button Imput And What Do You Mean

Rep:
Level 87
He meant button INput. Basically it does something if you press the specified key. Please dont post in resolved topics unless you have something relevant to add.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
You should be able to tell that imput = input by looking at the keyboard or with plain common knowledge. :P And I know that you didn't post when this was resolved so... It's resolved! And he meant that he should use that.

Sidenote: LOLZ! DrHojo made me realize all of Nouman's grammar/spelling mistakes. Work on those, Nouman! XD

EDIT: DANG YOU BEAT ME T_T Also, that was kind of relevant because it had to do with the topic. Kind of. He might have had a problem with that and wanted help on it.

Rep:
Level 87
DANG YOU BEAT ME T_T Also, that was kind of relevant because it had to do with the topic. Kind of. He might have had a problem with that and wanted help on it.

Fair 'nuff...and yes...nouman, work on your spelling!  :tpg: (lol)