RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Fox NL platformer

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
This is the most widely used platform example, I dont think there are any bugs, as I have used it a lot.  It is an editable file for unregistered GM, and you can easily learn from it.  If you do use this in one of your games (your first platformer, perhaps?) remember to give credit to FoxNL.  Here is the file:
http://www.wilcoschoneveld.nl/download/download.php?file=2

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
This is a good one! I'll move it to the sticky, and credit you with finding it.

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
wakka wakka wakka
THANK YOU
very much u just made my dream of making a mario platformer game come true

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Glad to help you out :)

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
I'm basically Yoda's brother
i got an error right when i started the game:
Code: [Select]
for object ns_hblock:

Error in code at line 6:
   if(obj_player.y+23 < y) {

at position 16: Unknown variable y
how do i fix it?

just so everyone knows, im 15 years old.

Rep:
Level 96
That's simple. The reason it says that is because an object is asking for the player's y position before the player exists. To solve, find the part of the object that uses that piece of code, and go to the control tab. Find the one that says "check number of instances", and put one of those above the thing that asks about the player's y position. Make it so the it requires there to be at least one of the player object before executing the next piece of the event.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
thanks!
sorry i have so many questions; i just started game maker.

anyway, how do i make the screen is always certain size. but if the map is bigger than the screen size, it will scroll?

Rep:
Level 96
Use views. Go to your room, click the views tab, and fill the boxes with the numbers below. This is a good set-up for your basic side-scroller, but I usually use about half this size:

View in room:
----------------
X=0
Y=0
W=640
H=480
----------------
Port on screen:
(do not alter, no need to)
----------------
Object following: (select whatever object you want the view to follow)
----------------
Hbor:320
Vbor:240
Hsp:-1 (-1 means it snaps to the object's location instantaneously. You'll want to stick to this most of the time.)
Vsp:-1
----------------

And that's it!

Oh, and don't worry about asking lots of question, I did the same thing when I first started, it's the only way to improve, y'know? Feel free to ask me stuff in real-time on irc, btw.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
cool thanks!
but a couple questions:

-i should check the box that says "Enable the use of Veiws", right?
-what's the "Visible when room starts" box? and should i check it?
-would these settings change if i had a different sized room? if so, how?
-being new to game maker, i usualy don't use advanced mode. if i used advanced mode to make a veiw for a room, then i went back to the simple mode, would the view still work?
-cool, thanks for the support! btw, what irc stand for? sorry if i sound like a newb.