RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Is my game doomed to fail because I'm not an extroverted teenager?

Rep:
Level 88
I need some serious advice. 

I've been working on my project now for 6 years, and I still think it's going to take at least another year to finish if I really crank it out and work on it like mad.  But the thing is, I've been wondering if I'm too old (I'm 27), too mature, and not funny enough to release this game even when it's finished.  Seems like everyone else who has released their game is some teenage prodigy who cranked it out since they had all the time in the world, and they also posted everywhere on this forum to become popular.  One of my colleagues at work who's my age thought that all JRPGs are "cute".  I absolutely hate that this is how JRPGs are perceived, and if this is indeed the case, does that mean people my age are gonna hate that "cute $#!t" and wanna play something "hardcore" like WoW or Halo instead? 

Also, I tried introducing myself on this forum and replying to topics, and before I even wrote this, I already had +0/-1 rep.  Considering most of the people on here seem to be younger than me, I take this to mean anyone younger than me hates me, therefore they will not want to play my game.  So am I to believe that if I post, nobody will like my game because my rep is bad?  But if I don't post, nobody will even know my game is there in the first place?

Sorry for being such a pessimist, but I really feel strongly for my game, and I want it to succeed.  I shaped my LIFE around this game, getting a Comp Sci degree and then harshly realizing I can't work for a company in THIS country that makes the type of game I love. 
Old School JRPG action coming soon!  www.ironpawn.com
About me: www.astroth.com

Rep:
Level 73
Impossibre!
Participant - GIAW 11
First thing you gotta know: Rep doesn't matter that much. +0/-1 just means that someone thought it was funny to give you minus rep on your first day. For the most part, people only hate you if you run around claiming their stuff as your or generally being stupid.

Rep:
Level 88
First thing you gotta know: Rep doesn't matter that much. +0/-1 just means that someone thought it was funny to give you minus rep on your first day. For the most part, people only hate you if you run around claiming their stuff as your or generally being stupid.
Yeah, sorry, I think I overreacted a bit on the rep thing.  I guess working on a project for this long, one gets kinda on edge...

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Like Solar said, rep means next to nothing here, it's just a joke that people like to abuse. Super moderators can even edit it at will to whatever they want.

Secondly, you're never too old. Despite what it seems like, not everyone here is an energetic teenager, so age is never an issue for creation itself. It is, however, part of an important factor to keep in mind for "target audience". What type of people are you aiming your game at?

Rep:
Level 88
Secondly, you're never too old. Despite what it seems like, not everyone here is an energetic teenager, so age is never an issue for creation itself. It is, however, part of an important factor to keep in mind for "target audience". What type of people are you aiming your game at?

You know, that's a good question I've never really thought too much about.  Age-wise, it will not be for kids (like 12 and under).  In general, I'm aiming for anyone who has played JPRGs of the 90's and 00's and can appreciate humor based on archetypes and themes from those games over the years.  I guess that would tend to be people in their 20's and up, but I've been surprised (and happy) to see teenagers talking about playing the classics like Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger. 

I guess I'm a bit down because it seems like people my age seem to be abandoning the JRPG style of game and migrating over to American stuff like WoW and Halo - you know, the stuff that involves mmo-ing all the time and shooting people with 377 different types of guns.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
I plus repped because you actually normally have something pertinent to say, which is ironic because I rarely do.

:)

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
what she said ^

In other news, making a decent topic with decent grammar tends to make people download your game, make a game with decent grammar and things that make sense, well, some of those people might even finish it.

Rep:
Level 88
Thanks for the rep, all of you!

what she said ^

In other news, making a decent topic with decent grammar tends to make people download your game, make a game with decent grammar and things that make sense, well, some of those people might even finish it.
I'm a perfectionist.  I plan on making the grammar as flawless as possible.  As for the jokes and humor, that's where I'm a tad worried I might lose a few people.

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
Grammar. Spelling. Win. As for jokes and humor, I'm not even that good at it, but when people test play my game, a part that wasn't meant to be funny turns out to be funny. Just make your game, the humor comes naturally. Don't overthink it, but don't completely forget it either.

Gods ain't gonna help ya son...

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Most of the regulars here are at least 19. The rest are at least 17. Some of us, like myself, are older. The age of the members doesn't matter. What matters is the age of people who play RM games. Read: young. I wouldn't put so much stock in an RM game becoming a smash hit, unless it does something vastly superior to others. I haven't played an RM game in almost 10 years, and I'm helping out on one because I think its incredible, and its fun. I'm not expecting to win a Pulitzer for it, and neither should you.

As for the rest of your post, its just self-serving whiny bullshit. And choosing WoW and Halo for "hardcore" games was a mistake.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Meet Holk. lol. He's right though. Usually is haha. Anyways, most of the regulars are 19+. I'm 23 in a couple days, Holk is mid 20s, Arlen is mid 20s etc etc. Like Holk said, an RM game isn't really the outlet to expect a great reaction from. The program is fun and people can do some really cool things with it. That's why I'm still around really. I like to fiddle with maps and make tiles and such for whatever. I don't get past much making a whole bunch of really nice maps. No stories or anything, just maps and maps. lol. I'm also helping on and off on the same project Holk is working with for the same reasons. I do, on rare occasion, download and begin an RM game but rarely ever get past the 1st hour of any of them.

Also rep doesn't matter. I randomly give people +10 or -10 or +200 or -200 on occasion usually for no reason. So I wouldn't worry about that.

My favorite genre of games is the good 'ol RPG. I love JRPGs. I get how they're cute and all, but that doesn't bother me.

Rep:
Level 84
I may/may not have missed the topic if you posted it, but have you posted your game here? I like your style, which means that I'd like to check out your game.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Make your game look attractive.
People will play it.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 86
Don't let something trivial like age get in the way of you making games.  As others have said, people will play it as long as it's well made.

Rep:
Level 88
I may/may not have missed the topic if you posted it, but have you posted your game here? I like your style, which means that I'd like to check out your game.
Well, that's the problem... I don't have a demo yet because I've spent so much time on maps, music, and monsters, that I don't have all the storyline and events set up yet.  According to the "Introduce your game" forum, the intro should be thorough and should include a demo.  So I'm trying to at least get a demo done now.  Feel free to check out www.ironpawn.com for the time being (does anyone think it's weird I have a website for the game, but no demo?)

Don't let something trivial like age get in the way of you making games.  As others have said, people will play it as long as it's well made.
Now that I think about it, the idea for my game actually was born WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER... I made a game that was very similar to Iron Pawn using the original RPG Maker on the PS1.  I made the HUGE mistake of deleting all the game data after my brother played through it all because I didn't know I could move the data to the computer...  ;9  But then when I found out about RPG Maker XP, I thought I'd recreate my old game, but on a more stable platform this time, with more customizable options.  What sucks though is that meanwhile, I lost a job, had to move out of the house, I met my bf, I started taking trips to anime cons, and started living my life without the support of my parents.  So now, here I am, all these years later, and still am not finished with the game.  And it sucks because the general vibe I've gotten from everyone is that RPG Maker games are not allowed to be epic nor long for some reason that I do not know.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:23:36 AM by skyrune83 »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Writer2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
As long as you stay true to wanting to finish it to complete a game, not to shove it out into market. I'm pushing 20 now and just making a game because I want to, not so I can make big cash off it. Or even to have it done.

And you think your negative rep is bad, look at mine. Ain't got shit on that.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
And it sucks because the general vibe I've gotten from everyone is that RPG Maker games are not allowed to be epic nor long for some reason that I do not know.

Not that you can't have a long game, but you have to consider how many games we see roll through here daily/weekly/monthly and how about 98% of them are pretty trash for games but good for just people beginning game creation. So in our experience, there are no epic RM games. There may be some really good RM games, but it goes to show that if there are epic RM games, I haven't heard of them. I've been doing this for at least 3-4 years so I would imagine something epic would have come along. Also, I would recommend a shorter game just because it's easier for someone to create. People come here with huge grandiose ideas of creating the best RPG game ever but they can't seem to understand that if it's going to be as awesome as they think, it'll take A LOT of time and effort. I don't think I've actually seen anyone with such devotion.

tl;dr The shorter the game is, the easier time it will be for one to create an epic game. Freeing up all that time from the game into other things like story, graphics, scripts, etc.

Epic RM Game "Idea" + Long Game Time = Fail (vs. all of our experiences)
Epic RM Game "Idea" + Short Game Time = Plausible
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:36:06 AM by grafikal »

Rep:
Level 91
Most people in RM these days actually aren't extroverted teens, as opposed to say four years ago at least. If a game's good it will do fine. If it sucks it sucks.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
People will enjoy your game if your game is good. Try posting a project topic with screenshots and information to build up interest.

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2012 Best Artist2011 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)Winner - 2011 Summer Project of the Season
How do you measure success? By the number of downloads, or by the level of enjoyment players get from your game?

Personally, I would rather have only a couple people playing my game and loving it, than have hundreds of downloads from players that will forget my game an hour after playing it. I consider my game a success if it manages to entertain the player, and maybe even give them something to think about/wonder about. I think I'd be pretty much over the moon happy if my game inspired someone to create something of their own.

When you're enjoying making a game, and you're willing to work hard and to the best of your ability, it shows. In the beginning, you might not get the same level of attention as a new, flashier game. But quality is what keeps players going. It's far easier to get a large player base than to keep it over time. This is why you'll see all these new MMOs get great sales, and then practically disappear a year later.

So instead of focusing on how you can get more players, think about what you're going to do to keep players interested. Focus on making your game well. The rest will come in time.
My current project:

Rep:
Level 88
People will enjoy your game if your game is good. Try posting a project topic with screenshots and information to build up interest.
1.) Knowing that my game has at least another year of development before completion, is it too early to post screenshots and raise interest?  I'm worried people will lose patience and interest if I make promises early on and then have something happen that delays the game further (like moving / switching jobs, etc.)
2.) I was planning on posting on the New Game Intro topic, but I don't have a demo yet.  I think I will post the screenshots with the demo when it's ready.

How do you measure success? By the number of downloads, or by the level of enjoyment players get from your game?

Personally, I would rather have only a couple people playing my game and loving it, than have hundreds of downloads from players that will forget my game an hour after playing it. I consider my game a success if it manages to entertain the player, and maybe even give them something to think about/wonder about. I think I'd be pretty much over the moon happy if my game inspired someone to create something of their own.

When you're enjoying making a game, and you're willing to work hard and to the best of your ability, it shows. In the beginning, you might not get the same level of attention as a new, flashier game. But quality is what keeps players going. It's far easier to get a large player base than to keep it over time. This is why you'll see all these new MMOs get great sales, and then practically disappear a year later.

So instead of focusing on how you can get more players, think about what you're going to do to keep players interested. Focus on making your game well. The rest will come in time.

That's a very pleasant way of thinking about it.  :)
I guess I'm fixated on the mentality, subconsciously, that I was hoping to make a living off of working on games.  Nowadays, I know that's just not the case, considering I have a very specialized interest in games (mainly JRPG style).  As it stands, at this point, I'm planning on making the game free for download - I guess I just want to prove to the world that old school JRPGs can still be good quality, and not just another "flashy but shallow" game.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
1.) Knowing that my game has at least another year of development before completion, is it too early to post screenshots and raise interest?  I'm worried people will lose patience and interest if I make promises early on and then have something happen that delays the game further (like moving / switching jobs, etc.)
2.) I was planning on posting on the New Game Intro topic, but I don't have a demo yet.  I think I will post the screenshots with the demo when it's ready.
1) No. Just keep the thread updated and post your progress.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I don't understand. You seem think that there aren't good quality JRPGs, and that your game, made in RM, is going to change all that. I think the problem isn't the fans, but your delusions of grandeur.

Rep:
Level 88
I don't understand. You seem think that there aren't good quality JRPGs, and that your game, made in RM, is going to change all that. I think the problem isn't the fans, but your delusions of grandeur.
Well, okay then.  In your opinion, what are some JRPGs in the last 3 years that you think are as good as the ones from the 90's?

Rep:
Level 94
Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean 4, all of the DQ DS remakes and DQIX, Magical Starsign, Nier, Avalon Code, Infinite Undiscovery...

Probably more that I'm forgetting.

Living in the past is lame. Embrace the now.

Rep:
Level 88
Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean 4, all of the DQ DS remakes and DQIX, Magical Starsign, Nier, Avalon Code, Infinite Undiscovery...

Probably more that I'm forgetting.

Living in the past is lame. Embrace the now.
Okay, I haven't played any of those yet, so I shall check them out!  That's another thing - I've been spending so much time making the game that I've hardly had any time to play all the games I should be...  Just wish I had a Stop spell... :(

Rep:
Level 94
Ok, so you also don't play games. You should read the Naphe entry in the RMRK Wiki.

Rep:
Level 88
OK, I'm sorry for judging the games of today.  I regret I have not had time to play much.  I have played Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, and Donkey Kong Country Returns to name a few, so I am playing games.  But please understand, how am I, with a full time job, supposed to make a full-fledged game in RPG Maker, live my life with my partner, advance my job to some place where I don't have to pass by dirty beggars on the streets day in and day out, deal with my partner's psychopathic mother, AND manage to play the numerous games that come out all the time?  Where do I get this time???
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:14:49 AM by skyrune83 »

Rep:
Level 94
You don't, man. That's life. Its tough, but its great. Be happy with what you have, because those beggars that you pass envy you.

Rep:
Level 88
OK, so stepping back a sec, it's obvious I have time management issues.  But I guess a follow-up question I have is: am I in a rush to finish Iron Pawn?  Is there any more/less interest in 2D JRPGs today than last year?  Will there be more or less interest next year?  If I don't have to worry about grinding to finish the game, then there's no issue.  I'm just under the impression that the longer I wait, the less this style of game will be respected.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
To be reaaaallly honest, I'm not greatly interested, but that don't mean you shouldn't keep to it :D

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Gracie, who's your avatar?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
OK, so stepping back a sec, it's obvious I have time management issues.  But I guess a follow-up question I have is: am I in a rush to finish Iron Pawn?  Is there any more/less interest in 2D JRPGs today than last year?  Will there be more or less interest next year?  If I don't have to worry about grinding to finish the game, then there's no issue.  I'm just under the impression that the longer I wait, the less this style of game will be respected.

good games are respected
bad games are not

make yours the former

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 88
good games are respected
bad games are not

make yours the former
OK! :)

Rep:
Level 73
Prepare for trouble!
It's true that recently released games aren't as up to par with actual game content as the olden days (probably because they're focusing too much on graphics and display)  But you listen here bud, and you listen good.

You do something because you enjoy it, and you like it.  Don't let something as trivial and common as age deter you.  I mean, I'm only 3 years younger than you, and I feel absolutely no shame doing what I do, because I enjoy it.  :3  Just do your best, and obviously if you're level-headed and not "DERP I will make yet another fan-game of ____ overused anime series here ^0^"  I'm sure people are going to give your game a try, as long as it's presented well.  :3

I got to learn a bit of game design when I was in college for animation, and presentation is definitely key. 

Sadly, some recent games abuse that.  xD  Like Lost Planet 2...the demo was absolutely awesome to play, looked great, but the rest of the game was nothing like it.  ;<  Sneaky!

Rep:
Level 88
You do something because you enjoy it, and you like it.  Don't let something as trivial and common as age deter you.  I mean, I'm only 3 years younger than you, and I feel absolutely no shame doing what I do, because I enjoy it.  :3  Just do your best, and obviously if you're level-headed and not "DERP I will make yet another fan-game of ____ overused anime series here ^0^"  I'm sure people are going to give your game a try, as long as it's presented well.  :3

After thinking about it, I guess I'm just frustrated because I'm desperately trying to finish a game that *technically* I started 10 years ago, in concept.  And here I am, 10 years later, and I guess I'm bummed out about it, since it's taking FOREVER to do.  But I guess that's what I can expect when I'm trying to do the whole thing solo.  I'm considering maybe giving in and hiring some people who have more TIME to help me get it done already - especially the text (ugh, text entry is so long and boring!).

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76

Now its one of my drawings, previously it was me.

Rep:
Level 73
Prepare for trouble!
Hm, well....  I'm doing my game all alone too.  I semi-know what you mean, since I have a comic that I've been working on for almost 4 years, and most of it is just concept/story/characters, and only like 3-4 pages of the actual comic, haha.  I do it by myself, but it's mostly because I don't want to get super into it until I'm more comfortable with the consistency of my art.  The game I am making is also a challenge/practice for me with art, and I enjoy it.

Regardless of reasons, though...I think if you stop enjoying to do something, maybe you should either stop doing it, or approach it differently.  Maybe you would do better with some hired help.  There are some online roleplay/art communities I've run in the past, and it really DOES help when you have people assisting you, even with just some medial tasks.  :3 

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

Now its one of my drawings, previously it was me.

Oh. Cause it was super attractive.

Rep:
Level 88
Oh. Cause it was super attractive.
GRACIE THE BITEY uses AVATAR.

It was super effective!

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Oh my, that I was not expecting.