RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] [MIDI] Battle Theme and Fighting an Old Friend.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I have more experience writing ... songs ... so I'm still a little new to this full-blown orchestral work.

So tell me what you think!

The first one's just a standard battle theme. I'm worried that it may be a little too cluttered.
-link-

The second one's a slow, dragging, reluctant battle against an old friend. You know, one of those "I was always the better fighter, Arshes." "I'm sorry it had to come to this" situations.
-link-

Please, for the love of God and all things holy, listen to my midis. This is going to be my future career, a composer, but I know I still need some work in a few departments, and I'd like as much constructive feedback as I can get! :O :O :O

(Try to ignore things like volume because different soundcards have different presets. What I'm really concerned with, here, is the music itself, the structure, the emotion, the whathaveyou.)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:17:29 AM by irock »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I'm listening now, I gotsta say I'm impressed =D. Orchestral is more my side of things than songs.

http://slyph.org/temp/25-boss1.tbt

Your battle theme is sorta like slightly old school Final Fantasy style, I like it =D. I can't really think of anything to help you better it, if I'd have made that I'd be happy with it =)
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 89
Okay...I had listened to the two tracks, so here's what I thought:

BTL1.mid

It is a good battle theme, in my opinion. Standard battles, yes, it would fit in nicely. Could even work for lesser-bosses too. However, it does lack a certain something, probably not as catchy or upbeat, that would make one go humming over the same tune as he whiz through the battle  :^^:
On a side-note, I didn't find it cluttered as a whole, quite smooth throughout actually.

Friend.mid

Yep, I do feel the sense of 'reluntancy', but also, 'yet decisive' battle theme from this track. It is like those moment of truth the character discovered and have to settle the matter once and for all..
Overall, the track is really long.. Slight problem is that it appeared to turned silent just some time before reaching the end of it. Was it intentional? Nevertheless, I thought that the track is pretty well-done. Though not exactly a standalone track without a suitable scenario to go with it.

I will have to apologise if my comments aren't really constructive enough to be helpful. But, that's all there is to it from my side. Hope to hear more of your works again~ :wink:
My rpg (in-making) : http://junkart.wikidot.com/

Rep:
Level 96
Quote from: Silverline
I'm listening now, I gotsta say I'm impressed =D. Orchestral is more my side of things than songs.

http://slyph.org/temp/25-boss1.tbt

Your battle theme is sorta like slightly old school Final Fantasy style, I like it =D. I can't really think of anything to help you better it, if I'd have made that I'd be happy with it =)
Woo tabit!

Thanks for listening. :) Your's is pretty good, especially in the beginning. I love that syncopation! It would work well for a very long and steady kind of battle, or maybe scene where the characters are fighting there way to somd end point, with battles along the way, and this just plays throughout the whole scene.

Good stuff. :)
Quote from: Dark_Koji

Overall, the track is really long.. Slight problem is that it appeared to turned silent just some time before reaching the end of it. Was it intentional?

I will have to apologise if my comments aren't really constructive enough to be helpful. But, that's all there is to it from my side.

Yeah, the track loops three times, and I'm not sure why that long silence at the end is there. Must've been a problem exporting the MIDI.

And don't worry about about being constructive, any kind of opinion is valuable to me. :)

Thanks for listening!

Rep:
Level 90
i love them both for the simple fact that its orchestra.on a side note iw ould add violins they make things dramatic.also were did u  get the pastience to write these iw illt ry and open it with finale to see how u did it.i tried writibng music but took a while and i kept messing up.
p.s i play the violin been playing for 3 years.
Yay i got a zoo sort of

Rep:
Level 96
Violin's good and all, but it always sounds so horrible in MIDI. That must be true, because the second song DOES have a violin in it, and you didn't recognize it. :D

Heh, I can't really answer the question to how I do it, I just ... kinda ... do it, heh. All I can say is, the more you do it, the better you get. Just keep trying and stuff like that, heh.

Thanks for listening.

Rep:
Level 90
i noticed it in the second one but it sounds like a keyboard lol try mp3 format better.theres a program out there that turns midis into mp3 and they sound way better i mean way better and on writing music in finale i end up raqndomly clicking every were lol.I like the second one better and in the second one the 2 insturments playing is a drum and a saxsaphone right.also can u send me the score to the second song i would like to know how to play it and u are going to be the next Nobuo Uematsu(guy who writes all the sogns for final fantasy) keep it up :) and a composer for a career sounds nice sigh up with a game company and boom your the next Nobuo Uematsu.
send it into like square enix maybe they will use it.i sure they would it is a cool song also about submiting it to square enix.My friend carlos had this crasy idea called bacon lad for a game right stars a bacon and he submittied it to microsoft and they said in order for them to make it they need a sample game.they were actually considering it  :shock:  he showed me the email.and on the second song y dose it jsut end it needs an ending note like the the first insturment playing a solo or something my email is
RaynaldoRivera@msn.com
Yay i got a zoo sort of

Rep:
Level 96
Yeah, I know all about the drawbacks of MIDI, man. When I finish something, I usually record it playing back on my computer, because I have a pretty good MIDI card. (dark koji knows what I'm talking about) But these aren't quite finished, yet, so no mp3s.
Also, these are RPG songs. They loop infinitely and end abruptly when the battle's over. They're not supposed to have outro sections or an ending note. Unless it's a progressive kind of battle theme. (again, dark koji knows what I'm talking about, hehe.)

Also, I don't write in conventional standard notation. I could, sure, cuz I know how to read standard notation and everything, but I started out writing in guitar tablature, and I've gotten to proficient at it, it doesn't really make sense for me to start all over in another system. (not yet, anyway)

So if you want the scores, you'll have to get tabit.
-http://www.arlenreyb.net/temp/btl1.tbt
-http://www.arlenreyb.net/temp/friend.tbt

I'm glad you like them. Thanks for listening. :D

edit: ok, my hosting apparently doesn't support the hosting of tabit files. what the hell.
I can fix this.

http://forums.tabit.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=23042
http://forums.tabit.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=23043

There we go!

Rep:
Level 90
lol if u ziped them then it would exsept them but if u want to be a composer u must i mean must write in finale standard notation not tabs open notation is like omg hard u clik on thing wrong and boom something goes wrong and u have to edit but in the end finale can make good midis nice sounding u can hear the violin clearly.also i cant read tabs there so confusing arg nd i cant log in to the forum arg anyways when ever u can get them into stantard notation please send them to me.also would u mind if i put a link from my site to yours it may attract more attetion to your site and look up templates for a more flasher site.
Yay i got a zoo sort of

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
You can't download attachments from the TabIt forum without being logged in. Here, I set up an upload script for you =)

http://slyph.org/tabit/

[edit] tested and works fine.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 91
The first one is a little long and repetitive. But the 2nd one is great.

Rep:
Level 90
Yay i got a zoo sort of

Rep:
Level 96
Quote from: Silverline
You can't download attachments from the TabIt forum without being logged in. Here, I set up an upload script for you =)

http://slyph.org/tabit/

[edit] tested and works fine.

damn. Thanks!

http://slyph.org/tabit/files/btl1.tbt
http://slyph.org/tabit/files/friend.tbt

Rep:
Level 102
Listened to friend this time around, it's pretty sweet =D

Here's it played with some nice samples
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
What did you use for that?

Rep:
Level 90
~
Nice, arlenreyb... As much as I try whatever I make comes out horrible.  If I had a personal tutor or something instead of just a music teacher who only teaches me the different notes.. :/

Rep:
Level 96
Heh, composition isn't nearly as easy to teach as music theory itself.

Nobody taught me how to write music, I just started doing it and I got better over time.

Rep:
Level 102
Quote from: arlenreyb
What did you use for that?

I use a program called synthfont to play the midi with a soundfont. The soundfont I use is the very large (170mb) Fluid R3 font. I also add some effects and the like. Voila =D
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
Crap. I don't know if this computer can handle a soundfont that huge, it can barely handle 30 MB of soundfonts that I'm using now. Maybe my laptop can, though...

Thanks!

Rep:
Level 102
Well your computer doesn't have to be fast enough to render it in real time. You can tell synthfont to do it at it's own pace. You could use an old Pentium 133 if you wanted. It'd take about 20 minutes to make a 3 minute mp3, but it'd be fine.

On my old PIII 700 (only 192mb ram) I could play my midis through the Fluid SF in real time with synthfont. I could even add some effects too.

It runs sweet on my current PC. Synthfont definately doesn't use as much as VSampler or FL Studio.

I'll upload fluid and some nice effect DLLs for you some time if you want them. The official download of Fluid has been gone for a long time.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 90
umm it dosent matter what coputer u have actualy i use my laptop its an old 1998 dell.it has windows 98 installedand ita ram is 64mb.and i use it to do everything from rendruing 3d object to other stuff i install software that says it need 256mbram for it to work it works fine on a 64mb ram so basicaly its a load of bull.unless its a game then u need the amount ofram it ask for .
Yay i got a zoo sort of

Rep:
Level 102
Of course it matters how much ram you have. If your PC runs out of spare ram to use, it uses space on your HD instead. This is alot slower.

When I'm using my samples and also my effects, my ram usage goes up by about 300Mb. My PC wouldn't be able to do it nearly as fast if it was swapping samples back and forth from the HD and ram to do the song :|

Of course something that reccomends 256 will run on 64, but it'll be alot slower, making it hardly as useful.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 90
wrong becuse the program that i use for making models whitch is blender.looks and performs the same. on my desktop computer whitch has 246 ram  it looks nice and works just the same has it does on my laptop but renderings slow not to slow thow a minute to render on the laptop and 5 seconds on the desktop.
Yay i got a zoo sort of

Rep:
Level 102
So how am I wrong. You just explained it takes 12 times longer.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 90
cuase it dosent render on ram it renders on your graphics card.there two diffrent thigns and if u knew anything about computers u would know that.
Yay i got a zoo sort of