RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Installing right now. This space saved~

Rep:
Level 83
I preordered it, but I am busy today. I can't wait to play it!

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Since I've been running around like a nut today, I finally got a chance to start it, and play for about 90 minutes. Here are my first impressions:

The first thing that I noticed is that it is already great as far as sequels go. It has the feel of the first one, moreso than the second, which is great to me. I thought the second one was kind of a disappointment. The inventory is classic grid, the environmental interaction is high, and there are really small nods to the first one that I've noticed. Ex; Going on your first mission, you choose, (through dialogue, no less,) whether or not you plan on taking a stealth approach, or just blasting your way through. This in no way means that you have to stick to that plan, but it calls back to the beginning of the original, when Alex gives JC a choice of equipment.

The story doesn't treat you like a child, in that it doesn't go into over-exposure of elements you aren't supposed to know about yet. You get hints, only to have things fall into place later. This is cool, because I'm not retarded, and I like to figure things out on my own. I also LOVE that doing things one way makes you miss out on other things, changing big parts of the story. At Serif Headquarters, I spent too long doing a side mission, and it changed the course of the main mission in a big way. This makes me know that I'll go back and play again once I finish the main storyline.

I already have a few gripes, but these are very small things. Some were expected, so yeah. I don't mind, because the game is so damn good so far. I just feel that I should point these out because I'm Holk, and it wouldn't be a Holk thread unless I pointed out the bad along with the good. Also, it would be dishonest.

The load times are horrendous. Reloading after a death is easily a minute. That might not sound like a lot, but stop and count a minute out. On top of that, once you're back in the game, there is some pretty bad stuttering for about 20 seconds while the world is built. It's a lot, but I like the game enough that I still keep loading it up.

The controls felt weird at first, but once I rebound the keys, it was ok. I mean, middle-mouse button for iron sights? Who still uses C for crouch? And why is my right mouse button the cover button? Nothing that couldn't be fixed, though.

Gold-based color scheme is cool for a while. Once you really notice it, though, it gets kind of annoying. The highlights in bright corners or reflections are near blinding.

Like I said, I've been running around all day, and haven't really had a chance to get too far into it, so I'll have more to say after the weekend. I'm off Friday and Saturday, so its Deus Ex weekend. So far, though, thumbs up. I couldn't have asked for a more faithful addition to the series.

EDIT: I can't believe I didn't say this, but I guess I figured that it just goes without saying: Options are key. There are so many ways to do things, that I never felt cheated when something didn't work out. Its never the game's fault, always mine.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:41:43 AM by Holk »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
want want want want want

So I got the game.
It's pretty much exactly like Holk said; a solid prequel that the series really needed.  The action is good, and I like how I get to figure out how I should handle encounters rather than being pidgeon-holed into one sort of gameplay or another.  Also the augs are fucking sweet, the story is well presented, and it's just pretty much what I was hoping it'd be when it was announced.

Gripes: The mouse controls are pretty bad and take more time than they should to get used to, feels like a console port issue.  Likewise with PS3 buttons showing up in a tutorial.  Loading times are terrible, it's 100% true, and Adam feels way too much like he's trying to be Neo, but that's something I can look past.

All in all the game is solid and worth a shot if you're interested.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:33:17 PM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
My first deus ex game, just finished it last night. Amazing :tpg:

I preferred to kill all the bad guys as my play style. It's strange how few ammo is found everywhere. Hey look, an ammunition case! Oh wow, four machine pistol bullets! Or how a guy can unload hundreds shooting at the wall you're hiding behind, yet if you kill the same guy before he manages to shoot he drops.. three.

I got lost in that game, often I would look at the clock and realise I've been playing for 5+ hours.
bringing sexy back

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I have to agree, Roph.  Ammo is scarce, but I find that if you specialize your weapon you'll have tons of it.  I'm sitting on like 150 rounds for my silenced laser sight pistol with extra damage and reload speed.  Fucking solid snaking that shit.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
The major focus was to kill when needed, as was in the first one. You have a great capability to get into a mission and do -anything- to get to the end, but ammo was supposed to be conserved and used wisely even if shooting your whole way through it. One shot, one kill etc. I was -really- surprised when I played this, because it's pretty much the first game, just upgraded. It conveys the same sense of fun a game from 1998 can carry and makes it hold the features of a modern day game. What really got me was the story. I wasn't expecting it to be as gripping as the first one was, but it totally was, without just recycling the government control conspiracy, new world order shit like the first game.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
The AI was also a little weird sometimes. I won the conversation battle to get into the police station legitimately, so all the officers know I'm in there, see me walking around and don't care, they even talk to me.

Yet then I'm in a vent and go through a laser and suddenly all the officers... know I'm there! which means they all instantly want me dead.

I thought it was neat how persistent stuff is though. Like how early on you go to shut down that transmitter, and then near the end of the game I was in that same area, and found dropped guns that I'd missed when I went through there at the beginning.
bringing sexy back

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
gonna download tonight :D

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Well Roph the logic behind that is really, if you go into your local pig house, and you trip an alarm, in a vent no doubt, they'd be pretty suspicious. Sure, in real life they wouldn't start shooting you and throwing grenades in the vent, but on the plane of video game logic, they'd know you were doing something you weren't supposed to be doing.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Nice new RMRK banner, by the way. lol

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Installin dis shit at the moment.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
gonna install it after i do my backup

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
HEY, A DEAD BODY
<GETS 3 OF HIS FRIENDS>
<STARE AT THE BODY, GUNS POINTED, LIKE THE DEAD MAN IS THE THREAT>
<STANDS ON THE CORPSE AND LOOKS AROUND>
<DROPS DEAD>
OH GOD HOW DID HE DIE, A DEAD BODY!

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
I like how when you stealth kill someone, everyone just runs and stands right where he died. Never ever have to aim. Also I love my 10mm pistol, its silenced, laser sights, armor piercing barrel, damage upgrades; shit's the bomb.

This game also has the second most satisfying headshots ever.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
10mm pistols. did they snake that from the old fallouts for deus ex one or something

Rep:
Level 97
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10mm_Auto
Lord knows that extra millimeter is gonna wreck some shit.

Rep:
Level 98
I like how you can kill someone and come back like 30 minutes later to find the police doing a report on his body, writing it down and putting it into the system.

Rep:
Level 74
I'm baaack!
Since RMRK seems to enjoy this game, I thought I'd explain it to anybody who doesn't already know.

The guy in the banner, that's Jensen. I can't remember his last name, but he's a beast.

Jensen is a body gaurd for the detroit-bound company of Sarif Industries. Sarif Industries is one of the many companies that specializes in "Human Revolution". After a terribly tragic event at the office, Jensen is riddled with augmentations. Augmentations are the upgrades that a person can have implanted from Sarif. The story doesn't really start until 6 months later when you've come back to work from recovering for an important mission. Once you've finished you decide that all you want to do is figure out who attacked Sarif Industries, and stop them from ever attacking anybody else. While on your adventure, doing sall jobs for your boss and freinds, you discover that there's a lot more behind the attack then you expected. Are you ready?

This game is EXTREMLY HARD!!! The are four difficulties and my brother, who is amazingly good at video games, says it's hard. I'm good at video games and I think easy is decent challenge. I've beat Infamous 1 and 2 multiple times and I went from easy (evil) to hard (good). (Infamous is easier to play on hard even though random people throw stones at you  :-\)

This game is worth playing even though the controls are jacked up and you use the square button in place of what the X button usually does (besides jumping).

I really think you should buy this game, as it is one of the best games... besides being jacked up... BUT STILL PLAY IT!!! IT'S AWESOME!!!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:28:40 AM by Strike Reyhi »

Rep:
Level 97
This is a good topic, thank you Infinate X. By the way his last name is Adam.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
 I was going to get it for the PC, do you know if that's a bad idea? You seem to have the PS3 version and I'm worried about getting the wrong one :/

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
I'm playing it on the 360 because my pc could run it but not well enough for my liking to actually play it. (shite frames per second on lowest settings)

not much of a difference these days, just a different hotkeying system since obviously you don't have a row of keys on xbox.

No idea what the modding community is like, but eh whatever mods aren't really make or break. this game is boss as fuck. and speaking of bossfights, if they were better the game would be very much like a metal gear game.

it's already like one if you play it stealthy, but the bossfights suck. whereas metal gear bossfights are pretty great.

Rep:
Level 94
It is totally like a Metal Gear game. Even the achievements for beating the bosses are reminiscent of MGS. (Ex. The Mantis, etc.) So far, this is in my top 3 games of the year. PC version is fine now, because they just released a patch to fix stuttering on area load. And yes, it fucked some stuff up at first, but they fixed it right after. So yeah, it doesn't really matter what you play it on, but being a PC gamer, I just wouldn't have it any other way.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

Adam Jensen, not Jensen Adam :p

Rep:
Level 97

Adam Jensen, not Jensen Adam :p
I was being facetious.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I don't know what's more surprising, that NAMKCOR missed the joke or that Sword actually used the word "facetious."

Rep:
Level 97
Just what are you implying, mister?

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Just what are you implying, mister?

I was being facetious.

Rep:
Level 94

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Holk's one-word posts are starting to scare me.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
That's what I get for posting at 2am.

Rep:
Level 74
I'm baaack!
:S I didn't know about this topic... I played it a few days ago (I don't own it) and I found out... His first name is Adam... not Jensen... Jensen is his last name...

BUT IT'S STILL AWESOME >:D

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
it is, but you're still a moron. :D

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Actually played Human Revolution in Aus and it was a really amazing game. People rag on it for not being as open as the original Deus Ex but it's the most engrossing gaming experience I've had this year...
:taco: :taco: :taco: