RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA][REQUEST] MMO-like Crafting System

Rep:
Level 81
To teach is to learn with someone else.
MMO-like Crafting System
February 20th, 2012

Summary
A crafting system more based on modern massively multiplayer RPGs than on the item synthesis usually found on older single-player RPGs.
MMO-like crafting systems are mostly based on different professions which can be levelled and used to craft different recipes that results in items, armor, weapons or components to craft other recipes.

Note: I understand this is a rather complex system - if all the features desired and specifics are taken into account. However, although I'm not a experienced and wise enough scripter to start whole systems from scratch, I've managed to change and edit and personalize (mostly interface) some already finished scripts to my needs. (I'm not here often but some might recall a few changes and improvements I made on a RMXP weight system (I think it was Tidloc's one) some time ago. :) ) Therefore I know that attending to all my desires below could become really complex so if one could at least script a functional core of that idea, I'd already be really pleased and thankful! :)

Features Desired
  • A crafting scene where you can see a window with recipes from the profession you're currently using (example: Blacksmithing), a window with the output stats of the recipe your cursor is over and a window with the required materials. If possible, a small window under the recipes list could show your current skill on that profession.
  • The possibility to easily create new professions and recipes for the script user.
  • Some minor but useful functions like the possibility to achieve critical successes (which would output a different item or more of the same item) and the possibility to use different materials that belongs to the same family. For example: you want to make a staff that requires a wooden pole, you can use either Oak wood or Birch wood.
  • Material families (see above) could be easily created and defined by the script user.
  • Earn experience on each profession by crafting items from that profession. Different items might give more (or less) experience (defined by the script user on recipe-creation)
  • The option to use optional ingredients to improve the recipe output. For example: using a gold nugget increases the chance for some recipes to be a critical success. These items and the recipes they can be used would be defined on recipe creation as well.
  • Tools: items that won't be consumed upon recipe crafting.

Mockups
I'll attach an image I made using two screenshots from an old project I had on XP that uses the PrexCraft (read below) script (with some editions made by me to show skill, profession titles and different output stats). It looks pretty much like what I'm looking for. It's in portuguese (I translated it when made the project, sorry :P) but everything is explained. See attached files for it, please :)

Games its been in
Most of the current MMO experiences have a similar system. Examples that I played include:
  • The Lord of the Rings Online (this is the best example)

• World of Warcraft

There are also two scripts that I like very much and have a pretty similar concept:
PrexCraft by Prexus and developed for RMXP
ACS (Advanced Crafting System) by Cmpsr2000 and developed for RMVX

Couldn't find PrexCraft with a working link, but a link for ACS can be found here:
http://www.rpgrevolution.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13359

Did you search?
Yes.
Found some synthesizing shop scripts but none with these specs.

Where did you search?
  • Here
  • Both recommended sites on the Rules topic
  • Google

What did you search for?
  • RMVX Crafting, item craft, and all variations with "craft"
  • RMVX synthesis and variations
  • RGSS3 synthesis and craft variations

Well, that's all. I hope it's enough information and I'd really appreciate if someone would take the idea :)
Thanks a lot for the attention!
That's all.

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
RMRK Junior
I'm waiting for a crafting system for VXA as well. I loved the Advanced Crafting System for VX.

I'm going to port over my game from VX, which relied heavily on crafting.