RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Next Game Console Ideas?

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
If it was me, I'd go to outrun.

That's your long term goal, but your short term is only to catch up, seeing that as the first step to outrunning... Some people don't realize there is more than one path to the finish...

And now my metaphor gland hurts...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Virtual Reality- while I wouldn't go so far as to claim it's a pipe dream, as we're making strides even today- is a long way off yet. However, this isn't to say we can't dabble with immersion. There are other senses to appeal to, touch, smell... Perhaps nintendo could pander to that if they want to lead the nose of the market around?

Imagine, you pick up a hot object in game and your control warms up a bit. You Enter a lush evergreen forest, and something on the console emits a bit of a piney scent. These are things that would be small, subliminal, but interesting, and they'd help to draw you in. That seems silly, superfluous, you might say, but you could argue the same thing of three dimensional televisions, the kinect, etc, and those things exist today. It's not about whether or not something seems necessary on its own, its about the potential for the way it's used. I think that if a developer was clever enough there are some interesting things that could come about from messing with the player's perception.

Pot: the videogame.

An interesting idea, but it feels rather gimmicky, at least for the smell bit. Honestly, if I cared that much about smelling a pine forest, I'd buy a pine forest candle or something. The heat thing sounds cool though. The rumble feature that's been pretty much a staple since the first playstation seems to add a bit to the experience during play. Heat could do the same. I do remember a game with a flying sequence where I happened to have a fan lightly blowing on me at the time. It felt really awesome. If they put a fan or something in, that would be cool. I guess they could throw the scents in there too, if they really wanted.

Neural Interface = terrible idea, I'm paranoid enough to never use one even if we develop them.  As soon as there's the possibility for a virus to get into someone's brain, there goes society \o/

I don't think viruses work that way. :V

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
It's less the singular function of a given module and how they work as a collective. The smell on its own? Very silly and gimmicky. But combined with things that stimulate the other senses all at once? If you aren't focused on the fact that you're being manipulated by a tool, you might just be tricked into believing its real.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
amBX technology already exists, so its just a matter of time.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Neural Interface = terrible idea, I'm paranoid enough to never use one even if we develop them.  As soon as there's the possibility for a virus to get into someone's brain, there goes society \o/

If a computer found a way to translate code into impulses that forced you to feel, smell, hear, and see things, I'm relatively sure we wouldn't be far off from subroutines that fuck up your mind.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 74
(Clever Pun Here)
Wouldn't it be a little dangerous to hear, feel, and smell the things that happen? It could end up killing you. :(

Rep:
Level 96
Are you implying that a combination of sensory perceptions could kill you? I'm talking about little 'displays' for your nose and hands, not the matrix.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Teledildonics

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII

If a computer found a way to translate code into impulses that forced you to feel, smell, hear, and see things, I'm relatively sure we wouldn't be far off from subroutines that fuck up your mind.

I suppose it's always a possibility, but I'm sure by that time we could develop certain fail-safe mechanisms for that sort of thing.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I suppose it's always a possibility, but I'm sure by that time we could develop certain fail-safe mechanisms for that sort of thing.

All the failsafes in the world won't stop a dedicated hacker.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...

All the failsafes in the world won't stop a dedicated hacker.

Ghost in the Shell? laughing man anyone?

AUGH! HE HACKED MY EYES! I CAN"T SEE!!! *BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

THEN STOP FIRING YOUR GUN!!!

NO!!! *BANG* *BANG*

same thing... only they are hacking the brain not a prosthetic body...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 74
(Clever Pun Here)
Even if there was fail safes, I'd still be hesitant to play it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 01:39:26 AM by Black Breeze »

Rep:
Level 96
Well it's just a matter of not playing unofficial content then. If you didn't buy it from nintendo, don't put it in your W33.

Rep:
Level 74
(Clever Pun Here)
Well by that time the Wii probably be obselite.

Rep:
Level 96
I was making a joke, sir. W33 being Wii version 33.

Also, *obsolete.

Rep:
Level 74
(Clever Pun Here)
Oh, sorry typo.  :o

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Well it's just a matter of not playing unofficial content then. If you didn't buy it from nintendo, don't put it in your W33.

Man I wouldn't trust Nintendo or any of their third party developers with a direct interface to my brain.

Rep:
Level 96
I doubt they'd risk their income over mind control. They already have that anyway.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I doubt they'd risk their income over mind control. They already have that anyway.

Risk?  It'd secure income and nobody would even know.

Rep:
Level 96
Because technology never malfunctions, and a single error wouldn't be a complete give away that not only would ruin a company forever but perhaps even spark military response.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Because technology never malfunctions, and a single error wouldn't be a complete give away that not only would ruin a company forever but perhaps even spark military response.

Which is even more proof for my stance.

Rep:
Level 96
I think you are alarmist and silly >:|

Rep:
Level 83

Which is even more proof for my stance.
Nothing advances without risk. You may not want it, but some people do. So don't get it when the technology comes out.
I agree about the risk of viruses. However, since my friend is doing a research paper on the Singularity (who waits for it, excitedly), and he theorizes that all humanity will be converted. Will you stay out of that? Way bigger risk for viruses and the like.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
what do you mean by the singularity?  I found an experimental operating system, and the theoretical point where we can no longer determine what the future will hold due to the pace of technological advance, but nothing that people would be "converted" to, and certainly nothing regarding viruses.

Rep:
Level 83
The Singularity is the point when humans will supposedly merge with technology. In the most basic form, think of the Borg from Star Strek