RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Next Game Console Ideas?

Rep:
Level 74
(Clever Pun Here)
What do you think the Consoles after the 360, Wii, And PS3 going to be like?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
It's way too early to tell. I think for Sony and Microsoft it'll greatly depend on the success and reception of their entries in the motion control craze. Nintendo will likely introduce another revolutionary feature to the industry while Sony and Microsoft will likely improve upon existing gaming technology.

Rep:
Level 74
(Clever Pun Here)
Good Point it is to early to tell. and it just depends on what nintendo does anyway! Sony and Microsoft always copy Nintendo!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:52:50 PM by Black Breeze »

Rep:
Level 75
What do you think the Consoles after the 360, Wii, And PS3 going to be like?
Some 3D crap with magic goggles to give you the impression you're inside the game, and improved motion sensors to swing your imaginary sword.

Sony and Microsoft always copy Nintendo!
How to forget this year's E3.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
How to forget this year's E3.
You mean the E3 where Sony and Microsoft were going on about their motion control accessories?

The Wii was initially codenamed the Revolution for a reason. It was destined to be a revolution, and it clearly has been, given the fact that the competition is following in Nintendo's footsteps.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
The future of consoles isn't going to be the same as we're used to. With the advent of network gaming, multiple interface options, and heightened online play, it definitely won't be a 5-6 year cycle. Ken Levine and some other developers were asked what their feelings would be if Microsoft or Sony announced the dev-kits for their next consoles. Their response was basically, "Good luck with that." What I'm trying to say is that we're at an "uncanny valley" place, where graphic improvement is really negligible. Since this is what primarily drove past console updates, we're at a point where that doesn't matter, and interfacing will be the next driving factor.

Rep:
Level 75
You mean the E3 where Sony and Microsoft were going on about their motion control accessories?
Precisely.
I was so disappointed they decided to spend their money, time and effort in developing motion control accessories and whatnot.

But I am a bit biased, I'd never buy a game where I have to jump, run in place, slash things and move every single muscle I have.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
honestly, I don't think there will be many more consoles out there anymore... I think 360, PS3 and Wii are pretty much it... I mean, they really are great, but I don't see any reason why they would need to be better... The PS3 has the best graphics (theoretically it should, at least, although I'm not sure...), Wii the best motion control thus far (is Kinect any good?) and 360 has one of the largest fanbases and several of the most popular games (I mean, Hell, they even have some FF titles now for RPG nerds, like myself!).

The only way we're getting a better system now is if they take all the best qualities of each and form one Supercompany...

Sonintendosoft! THE FUTURE OF GAMES!!!
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 102
honestly, I don't think there will be many more consoles out there anymore... I think 360, PS3 and Wii are pretty much it... I mean, they really are great, but I don't see any reason why they would need to be better... The PS3 has the best graphics (theoretically it should, at least, although I'm not sure...), Wii the best motion control thus far (is Kinect any good?) and 360 has one of the largest fanbases and several of the most popular games (I mean, Hell, they even have some FF titles now for RPG nerds, like myself!).

The only way we're getting a better system now is if they take all the best qualities of each and form one Supercompany...

Sonintendosoft! THE FUTURE OF GAMES!!!

Are you implying they've reached some sort of cap? Hardware isn't going to stop improving until the laws of physics prevent it from improving. Plus better hardware is and has been available to use; a ten year old can build a computer better than the current consoles.

There's also new tools for playing games that are constantly popping up. We saw Nintendo bring forward motion controls, and now they're bringing 3D into the industry with the DS.

Console sales will eventually decline to the point where a new generation of consoles makes sense and they'll release something better. This happens.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 02:07:29 AM by Irock »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Virtual Reality must be realized. And I mean, like, nearly 100% immersive or w/e. Kinda like .hack 8D I always wished for a game like that.

Rep:
Level 74
(Clever Pun Here)
so either they make game consoles till theres no room for improvement or games become reality?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:13:30 PM by Black Breeze »

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
Virtual Reality must be realized. And I mean, like, nearly 100% immersive or w/e. Kinda like .hack 8D I always wished for a game like that.

Do you honestly believe that VR will ever be made? It's a pipe dream. Too much work, not enough projected revenue. People wouldn't want to buy it because of how expensive it would be. Kinect costs 150, and it's almost universally (at least, as far as I can tell from local sources) accepted as pointless to buy. So, why would someone pay most likely more than four times that to have a kinect with picutres that come at you? You wouldn't, that's why. It's fun to think about (and boy have i thought about it) but it just isn't feasible...

And, of course, i am not implying that the games have capped, simply that, at this level, things don't have much further to go... All the rest of the "new consoles" will be simply .0's... That is, it won't be Xbox Unlimited, it will be Xbox 360 3.0 or PS3 Lite or something like that... It will be, at it's core, the same console, but it will just be enhanced slightly for speed or whatnot to make it more "complete." but it won't be a totally new console (like the change from xbox to 360, or gamecube to wii were)
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Virtual Reality- while I wouldn't go so far as to claim it's a pipe dream, as we're making strides even today- is a long way off yet. However, this isn't to say we can't dabble with immersion. There are other senses to appeal to, touch, smell... Perhaps nintendo could pander to that if they want to lead the nose of the market around?

Imagine, you pick up a hot object in game and your control warms up a bit. You Enter a lush evergreen forest, and something on the console emits a bit of a piney scent. These are things that would be small, subliminal, but interesting, and they'd help to draw you in. That seems silly, superfluous, you might say, but you could argue the same thing of three dimensional televisions, the kinect, etc, and those things exist today. It's not about whether or not something seems necessary on its own, its about the potential for the way it's used. I think that if a developer was clever enough there are some interesting things that could come about from messing with the player's perception.

Pot: the videogame.

Rep:
Level 102
Do you honestly believe that VR will ever be made? It's a pipe dream. Too much work, not enough projected revenue. People wouldn't want to buy it because of how expensive it would be. Kinect costs 150, and it's almost universally (at least, as far as I can tell from local sources) accepted as pointless to buy. So, why would someone pay most likely more than four times that to have a kinect with picutres that come at you? You wouldn't, that's why. It's fun to think about (and boy have i thought about it) but it just isn't feasible...
People used to say the same thing about cars, then computers. Capitalism is magic!

Rep:
Level 83
I do believe that neural interfacing will be one of the ways it could evolve. That would make VR a much more believable dream. It would allow for all your senses to be used and would be completely immersive experience. Just my 2 cents.

Rep:
Level 74
(Clever Pun Here)
Everyone probly already knows this but the Wii has a new accresory called the wii active or something.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
The Wii is a Fisher-Price toy now. I love Nintendo, but the Wii section at GameStop is fucking sad. It's a bunch of cheap plastic shit that you glue on your controller.

Rep:
Level 74
(Clever Pun Here)
Tell me about it.

Rep:
Level 94
Also, Kinect is stupid. I can't think of a single game idea that would make me want to buy one.

Rep:
Level 74
(Clever Pun Here)
Why don't Sony and Microsoft try to outdo Nintendo instead of basically copying them?

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
Because that isn't how it works.

Someone is always ahead, and people try to catch up rather than trying to outrun...

That is, rather than thinking about winning the race, the competition is just barely hoping for a tie, because they see the alternative (winning) as a pipe dream. And maybe they are right...

Rep:
Level 74
(Clever Pun Here)
If it was me, I'd go to outrun.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Neural Interface = terrible idea, I'm paranoid enough to never use one even if we develop them.  As soon as there's the possibility for a virus to get into someone's brain, there goes society \o/

Also, Kinect is stupid. I can't think of a single game idea that would make me want to buy one.

breast fondling kinect

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 74
(Clever Pun Here)
 Never thought of that. :O

Rep:
Level 83
Neural Interface = terrible idea, I'm paranoid enough to never use one even if we develop them.  As soon as there's the possibility for a virus to get into someone's brain, there goes society \o/
Never thought of that, and as I said, its only a possibility.