RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] Blues/Blues Rock Chords?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I realized how limited my chord repertoire is recently and thought I should expand my knowledge to more chord shapes for the guitar so I was wondering what chords are often used in Blues/Blues Rock songs. Any help will be appreciated :3
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:37:47 AM by irock »

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Well, blues follows a chord pattern, and rock is a bit more vague. Both use I, IV and V mainly, but sometimes other chords.
12-bar Blues consists of 3 lines of 4 bars each. Here is the base pattern:
I I I I | IV IV I I | V V I I
There are many variations on this.
I I I I | IV IV I I | V IV (or V7) I I
I IV I I | IV IV I I | V IV (or V7) I I
You can also add sevenths to this to end up with something like this:
I IV I I7 | IV IV7 I I7 | V IV I V7 (when the last bar contains the dominant chord, it leads into the next verse)

Rock goes into a bit more stuff, but usually you'd just be using your I, IV, V and occasionally ii and vi. With sevenths.
Pop, as we all know, follows a simple 4-bar progression - I, V, vi, IV. This may be mixed up.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Thanks, but I was looking for chords that tend to be used in blues. Like I, IV, V, and vi are great, but I was wondering what other chords are often used (such as a 13th chord or a 7#9 or something like that idk).

But by no means am I not thankful. And by rock, I meant specifically Blues Rock (things like "I Don't Need No Doctor" or some Clapton stuff and things like that).