RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How do you come up with names?

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Lunaris Project Lead
Basically, I need some help. I can do most everything else okay except for one issue. I can not come up with a name for anything be it a person or a place to save my life. Does anyone have any tricks they use come up with some unique names?

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I use other languages as a starting point. Latin, especially. Find a word or phrase that describes your character/place/thing and translate it into latin or whatever, then tweak the name by switching a few sounds here and there untill it feels right.

If the whatever comes from a distinct culture, like elves, dwarves, a community based on an existing culture or whatnot, start there. For example, convention says elvish is flowing with a lot of silibants and blends. Dwarven is gutteral. Play around with letter sounds that fit the bill, and eventually you'll hit on something. Research names from whatever existing culture you're drawing from and incorporate a few.

Whatever you do, be consistent. If the dwarves in your cave are named Grudekk, Thorgrim abd Fulkirf, don't introduce one named Vassithalas or Bob or Fizzlepop. Oh, and those apostrophes a lot of writers put in their characters' names are cool looking, sure, but they make it hard to read.

Dur'Ga'Na'n
Durgannan

See?

I hope to have helped.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
I use people I know names.
I use culture names, such as, Chipo or Amazu, to get a culture in the game and whatnot.
There are alot of names out there also, google names and use them, and don't be afraid to use a friend's name or someone elses'. If you want a name no one has used before, and thats not natural such as a friend's, chop names up and stick them together and see where that gets you, just try to avoid a name like Natsue, sounds weird.

Hoped that helped along side, Jack's.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I do basically what Samurai Jack says. This is how I do it. First I think of the game. Is it like medieval, or modern, or scifi, etc. I tend to make more medieval games, so most of my names will be old or difficult to understand. So then I think of the character. Is he a main character or just an NPC? If he's a character, or maybe an NPC that plays an important role, what does he do or what is special about him? Say for instance I have a character that is strong and uses heavy weapons. I'll go find a latin generator (or just some random language generator, I generally prefer Norse mythology over greek and latin mythology though). After I grab my translator, I'll type a few words that describe my character and press translate. So for this example, I went to this english to latin translator and typed in "Strong" and go back "validus, valens, potens, pollens, infragilis, fortis, firmus, durus". Now any one of those is a decent name, but I don't want a literal translation, so I'll take one and add or remove some letters to make a new name. So for Valens, I'll just name him, Valen. Or Durus, will be Duru. Etc.

A nice translator is also Google's translator, it has a TON of different languages to pick from.

Norwegian "Strength" is "Styrke", so the character's name could be Styrk, or Styr, or Ty, etc.

Also, you could find a random name generator. Sometimes they suck, but if you keep clicking 'generate', you'll get something you like. I use random name generators for just not important NPCs.

Say you have an important merchant or something in your game, Norse 'Merchant' is 'Kjøpmann', so maybe his name in-game is Kopman, or maybe that's his last name and his first name is generic like Jack. Like if it's a modern game.

I think you get the idea.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
Hi

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
In my game Desomiom, I pulled all the character names off of the top of my head.

I got the kingdom names by zooming in really close to the UK on Google Earth and looking at little towns.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi

I got the kingdom names by zooming in really close to the UK on Google Earth and looking at little towns.
WHY THANK YOU

where the fuck is Google Ear- oh, there it is.
Hi

Rep:
Level 82
i just add twilight in front of already established names here are some examples

Twilight Red Power Ranger
Twilight Chie Satonaka
Twilight Metal Spider Man
Twilight Bone-Claw Wolverine
Twilight Evil Ryu
Twilight Shin Gouki
Twilight Shademan

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
That's dumb.

Rep:
Level 82
Not as dumb as Twilght Shademan, I'll tell you what.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
This thread's topic is about aiding a member with naming NPC's or Towns or in general game objects. Placing the word "Twilight" before every name in a game is retarded. We keep phil around here to be the resident fuck-up, so make better impressions or stop spamming.

I bought a book: 'Character Naming Sourcebook 2nd Edition' and it has 25,000+ names (first) and some fisrt names that could be used for last names. Goes from region (USA, France, Latin) to sex (male and female).

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Lunaris Project Lead
Thanks for the help everyone. I've been tied down on other stuff, but hopefully this should help me when I get back to work on my game.

Rep:
Level 82
I often name characters after terms in science or mathematics. For example, I have a trio of brothers named Sinen, Cosca, and Tanat (Sin, Cosin, and Tangent). All of them wear triangle hats, and are total math nerds.  ;8
Current Project: Answered Prayers. (Yume Nikki styled adventure game.)

pokeball JAPOfflineFemale
I used to know nothing
Rep:
Level 89
I'm pretty much like everyone else. Translating words and modifying the translations. Or do an anagram with the translation.

But sometimes I got names from, uh, extraordinary locations. Like soap packagings. They have this list of ingredients and chemicals inside it, yea? Just take a word or two and do an anagram or modify it by removing several letters and there you go: a name.

Sometimes jumbling several words together also works.

Rep:
Level 82
Be careful while modifying words from other languages you don't know, if you're going to release it in the internet someday.
Many people in internet have other languages than english, and if you're not careful, you'll possibly end up turning good names into funny/stupid names.
For example, you use google translator and translate "valiant" to spanish (I'm spanish myself) . You'll get "Valiente". Change only one letter and you have "Caliente" that means "hot", or Saliente, that means prominent. No good, you see?  ;)

Rep: +0/-0Level 81
I have the exact same problem when it comes to people's names, I've found baby name books and websites now since people are coming up more and more crazy names for their kids!

When it comes to names of places, I imagine the place I'm trying to create, it's feel and where in the world I could compare it to then look at a map of this place. For example if I make a town that's similar to a small Southern French village I'd look on Google Earth for a name that takes my fancy. A little long winded perhaps, but at least then you know the name is a good choice because it's been done in real life!

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
Haha, I have the exact same problem! Well, when I came up with a name for a person (which wasn't easy) I kind of just thought of a name. Some advice on this that I can give you is to not use a name of a person you know well. It sort of ruins it for you when you play the game. Good luck!
..........|¯•¸_¸,.•”ˆ¯....Thundercow....¯ˆ“•.,¸_¸•¯|..........
¯•_¹ˆ¯•ˆ¯¯±¸_Thunderclan WÅrrÏØr_¸±¯¯ˆ•¯ˆ²_•¯

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Rep:
Level 80
RMRK Junior
You can go find a dictionary, you will see what you want!

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
It could just be something like "Joe" or whatever. Use common period names, as special names are for douchebags who want to try and throw in some "extra meaning". Usually, I just facepalm, unless the name is just a label and has nothing to do with the story, then it's okay.

Even my MCs have names that are common (or names that are common in the culture I constructed.)