RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
I JUST GOT AN EPIC IDEA

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
What if RMRK as a whole made one HUGE game, with a little bit of multiple people's work in it?

IF we did do this, I would like a board for it.
And leadership would be set out like this

Project Coordinator
                 _______________________|______________________________________________
                 |                             |                             |                         |                                 |
       Artist Head            Story Head              Music Head          Head Mapper           Head Eventer/Scripter
                 |                             |                             |                         |                                /      \
            Artists               Story Writers            Composers           Mapper                 Eventer   Scripter

Each head could decide its own divisions

The coordinator's job would be mainly to piece it all together, make the world map connecting everything and to tell departments what needs to be done
Each head would do his/her own work and tell other people what they need, and each individual could do his/her own job.

I do not plan to be the coordinator, but I will be temporarily

(Temporary)Coordinator- Forcystus
Artist Head-
Story Head-
Music Head-
Head Mapper-
Head Eventer/Scripter-

Nominate people for leadership, agree to be on the project, or simply comments or questions.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 11:32:16 PM by Brick Shitter »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Eh, if I could count the number of times an "RMRK Team game" has been attempted, I'd know how to count.

Non of them even got started. :z

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Im starting this one. No doubt about it, I just need others...
I have plenty of maps people could start on, icons to make, songs to compose, quests to write, I just need others...

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
This has been attempted, I think moar than once.

Anyways, good luck!
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Irock touched your custom title
Rep:
Level 89
As people have said above, this has been attempted before and has failed. The main reason (in my opinion) is basically because they didn't have a story line and didn't know where to start. If you already have those taken care of, then I believe you may have a small chance of getting this started. :)

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
There is no one story line, it's a freeform game where you complete quests and stuff. You'll just play it, simple as that.

If you would like to join the project, please say so here.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Well, I probably have the time to write some quest or stories as a part of the whole game, and maybe get some musics done.
I'm in.

;D
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

House of Nostalgia
Rep:
Level 87
You loved it.
We should all work on Valencia. Then we'd all be better then World of Warcraft.
For information and the latest news check out www.valenciagame.wordpress.com

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
No Advertisements please :P
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

House of Nostalgia
Rep:
Level 87
You loved it.
I wasn't advertising, I was posting a link to inform those who may be interested. Seeing as how it wasn't me saying "OMFG GO TO MAH SITE ITS FULLY SIK WIKAD!!!!" i don't see why im advertising it, but okay i'll remember next time :)

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
No storyline = fail

I mean, look at all the games with no storyline.

:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 89
I can remember two main games that actually had a "small" chance of getting going. One was (I think) Dwarra's. It consisted of everyone adding some sort of storyline into it. It was a serious project at first but then changed into a type of game as everyone knew it wasn't going to go anywhere.

The second one was one that I made (or attempted to make). Like the one you're talking about it had no plot. However, that's because it was going to be an MORPG. The idea seemed to hit off pretty well and would've succeeded if not for one rather annoying problem on my part. I couldn''t get the server to work. In the end the game fell apart.

If you're attempting to make a single player game without a plot, it won't be very popular. You're much better off attempting to make an MORPG if you're going to impliment quests and the like into it. Personally, I have yet to see a single player game without a plot that was even the least bit enjoyable.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
darn, but I don't have a server

Rep:
Level 89
Basically your computer would be the server: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,13585.msg173445.html

Rep:
Level 88
Keep on Baggin'
you could make a game structured like mario 64 where everyone could contribute a stage, with its own music, quests etc
Some friends mend.  Some friends depend.  Some friends lend.  Some friends send.  Friend.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
you could make a game structured like mario 64 where everyone could contribute a stage, with its own music, quests etc
Holy hell. That does not sound like a bad idea.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Holy hell. That does not sound like a bad idea.

Yeah, but people would really need to take this seriously then.

Needless to say, I'm sure many would like to give this idea a try =)
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 88
Keep on Baggin'
Mario 64 online.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 01:48:07 AM by TeaBag »
Some friends mend.  Some friends depend.  Some friends lend.  Some friends send.  Friend.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
That sounds like a pure awesome idea, without the doctor. And is alternate personality isn't inside him. But that sound awesome.

Im going to ask questions/what ifs

If my computer is the server, what if I turn off the internet conncetion? Will the game turn off?
Is there someone else better suited to have the server? Someone who doesn't have to worry about parents/siblings?

(Im not sure if anyone has signed up yet, if haven't, sign up, if you have, tell me again XD)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 11:30:25 PM by Brick Shitter »

Rep:
Level 89
You've got two different ideas going on here. One with the MORPG/server issue and the other is with the many quests/Mario 64 style thing. I don't think you'd be able to do both. Now onto your question.

The deal with the server is it runs in the background on your computer. Everyone who plays the game runs a client which connects to the server. Basically it's a bunch of really small files being sent back and forth. So if your internet goes out, the server crashes and so does the game. Unless you have your own computer that can be running the server many hours out of the day, you shouldn't be the one running the server.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
First thing, it will definetly be possible. You would have a main lobby, people would go from the lobby into portals into worlds/areas where you can complete quests.

And who wants the server, anyone? Or rather who can have the server?

Rep:
Level 89
I may just not be seeing this the same way as you but I'll say what's on my mind anyway.

While it's true that you could have it online that way, I believe that it takes out the point of having it an MORPG as there is no real multi-player action happening. It would be better off to just make it with RMXP.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
That's what I was going to do ;8
Imagine mario 64, with about 1,000,000 extra marios running around

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I'd like to play a game where bowser is the good guy, and mario, peach, yoshi, toad, and the rest are bad guys.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
This seems like a good idea. But it needs to be more organized. Maybe have rules on the first post in the topic .

Maybe just to make the "complete" game a decent size so people can download, have it rtp resources only? Or maybe just limit a certain amount of resources per stage. Also we need a main character. Just so the character doesn't randomly change per level.
Also add a due date.

- -