RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Event Tutorial] Basic Skill Creation

Rep:
Level 85
:3
Creator:
Rinoka
I made this in VX. It should be safe to assume it works with XP.
What It Does:
Tells you how to script a skill with a common event for each place the skill is used and another common event. It also uses 3 variables.
How Is It Made?:
Spoiler for:
First, know I'm explaining what these do AND how to set them up so they do not glitch. Do not cut corners by just putting blank events over things that you want to help. Okay? Good.
-----

First off, be sure you know how to use common events and events. Be familiar with variables, as well. I won't tell you where the events are placed in the window, I'll just declare what goes where and what it helps to do.

Second. When you're eventing in a HOUSE up to the wall. Do NOT shove the items into the wall, hide the floor under the items. (the wall magically camos)

Yeah. Back to basics, anyone?
Anywai. It's my first event system thing, so it's sorta breakable.
Yeah.
ONWARDS.
----

First, figure out the skill you want. If it's cooking, like I'll show you (it's my first skill made with this... in a hour or so with the maker and then running back over through playtesting to find and fix small bugs.) Now, first, make a item, such as cabbage.

Second, add three variables: "Skill Name Level", "Skill Name Experience", "Skill Name Experience Requirement". You can change the names as you see fit. They will be called (0001:Skill Name Level),(0002:Skill Name Experience), and (0003:Skill Name Experience Requirement).

3rd! Make a common event for the skill Level Up. Name it anything. I'll be calling it the "Level Up Event". Same goes for the cooking skills. For now, I'll only use the knife board as a example. It's the Knife Event.

4th. I am NOT using screenshots at the moment. Do it by hand and PM me with a screenie of the troubles, if they arise. (this is sorta a PS. 8D)

Fifth! Make a area for it to be used. (such as a stove, knifeboard, or sink!) Designate the area, then put the part in as a event. Make it call your "Knife Event" to activate! This is to simplify "okay, I want 200 kitchens!" and copy/pasting the actions for kitchens! You can even simplify THIS if you want leveled kitchens instead of leveled cooking dishes -- make common events for all kitchens. Anyway.

Sixth! Go to the common event Knife Event. We'll be making "chopped cabbage" with cabbage. I will now guide you through what events should go in what order.
Code: [Select]
@>Text: -, -, Normal, Bottom
:       :Would you like to cook?
@>Show Choices: Yes!, No,thanks.
:    When [Yes!]
@>Text: -,-, Normal, Bottom
:       :What would you like to cook?
@> Show Choices: Cut Cabbage, I can't cook any of these!
:    When [Cut Cabbage]
@>Conditional Branch: [Cabbage] in Inventory
@>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001:Skill Name Level]
:       :You successfully cut the cabbage!
@>Change Items: [Cabbage], - 1
@>Change Items: [Cut Cabbage], + 1
@>Control Variables: [0002: Skill Level Experience] += 2
@>Call Common Event: Level Up Event
@>
:  Else
:        :You don't have a high enough cooking level
:        :cook that!
@>
Branch End
@>
Else
:        :You don't have the required ingredients!
@>
Branch End
@>
When [I can't cook any of these!]
@>Exit Event Processing
@>
Branch End
@>
When [No, thanks.]
@>Exit Event Processing
@>
Branch End
@>

7th! Take the Level Up Event and add the sensor to sense if it's level up time!
Code: [Select]
@> Conditional Branch: Variable [0002: Skill Name Experience] == Variable [0003:Skill Name Experience Requirements]
@>Text: -, -, Normal, Middle
:           : Skill Name level up!
@> Control Variables: [0001:Skill Name Level] +=1
@> Control Variables: [0003:Skill Name Experience Requirement] *= 2
@> Control Variables: [0002:Skill Name Experience]  = 0
@>
Else
@>Exit Event Processing
@>
Branch End
@>

Done! Be sure you have Cabbage and Cut Cabbage as items in your inventory, otherwise there ish fail.

Do not duplicate this, please. >:
And also!
I'll have a Plug 'n Play version of this soon! Okay? Be ready!

[//Note: I made this in a day with no tutorial help -- I didn't like the various problems with other event systems (such as not VX version or something. o.o), so I made my own.//]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 02:35:36 AM by Rinoka »

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
excellent tutorial. these minigames really spice(scuse pun) up games.

my favourite istance of this was in final fantasy 5. every town had a piano you could play :D if you played them all you could go and get a special ability from some guys house

Rep:
Level 85
xD I could probably pull that off....
But I don't think I'll try it. :D
Yeah, thanks for the compliment. xD;
I took about 2 hours on to tutorial on and off. x3 I'm using this for cooking and herbology.
And I finished the Plug 'n Play version! (Which I'll reserve all the RMRK+ stuff for in a bit! It's already set up, tho. :3)
And the whole system was made in a hour with little eventing knowlege... I guess I pick things up quick, huh? :P

As a side note, I think the Plug 'n Play has a Randomizer for if you can cook it or not!
...And also... Do I put the Plug 'n Play as a attachment here, to be simple, or should I make a new topic?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:07:17 PM by Rinoka »

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
xD I could probably pull that off....
But I don't think I'll try it. :D
Yeah, thanks for the compliment. xD;
I took about 2 hours on to tutorial on and off. x3 I'm using this for cooking and herbology.
And I finished the Plug 'n Play version! (Which I'll reserve all the RMRK+ stuff for in a bit! It's already set up, tho. :3)
And the whole system was made in a hour with little eventing knowlege... I guess I pick things up quick, huh? :P

As a side note, I think the Plug 'n Play has a Randomizer for if you can cook it or not!
...And also... Do I put the Plug 'n Play as a attachment here, to be simple, or should I make a new topic?
Thanks for contributing! ;8
For the Plug n Play version, just attach it here. (on the first post)
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 85
 ;8 Mmk. And BTW, the plug 'n play has a added "lolz cool" nature area.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 02:38:54 AM by Rinoka »