RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Which do you prefer...

Rep:
Level 88
A World Map where you can walk around and go from place to place?
or
No World Map, and you go from area to area and they are all linked together?

I'm not really calling for a vote, but I wanna see what people have to say and why you like each one more.  That way I can weigh the options and make a better decision for my game.

So like a brainstorm I guess
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 04:14:08 AM by Yami »

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
How about a world map you can't walk on that gives you a general overview of where you are.

Rep:
Level 88
Keep on Baggin'
I've thought about this.. and I'm kinda torn.  I'm not of a fan of the whole final fantasy million miles big and boring world maps, but i think as a way to kinda organize and streamline, a SMRPG style would be cool.  No world map certainly immerses you more, but it can get to a point where its hard to know your bearings, walking from little area to little area.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 04:52:57 AM by TeaBag »
Some friends mend.  Some friends depend.  Some friends lend.  Some friends send.  Friend.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Linked area sounds better
World map reminds me of the countless time I got lost in Tales games

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Depends on your game.
If it includes houses/ things like that, no world map.
If its a quest game where you have to roam around, world map is okay.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 88
Well the world itself is going to be really big.  I kinda like TeaBag's idea for like SMRPG style.  Or maybe have a world map where you walk around on, but it's not huge and complex.  Something like Chrono Trigger maybe.  Just to get around you know?

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Yeah then it'd do...
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
FFX's style was good...it showed you the world map and took you to the destination, but you could trek to the destination manually if you wished.

I do think a world map is good, but I can see why it would affect game play.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 88
FFX's style was terrible.

FFV was simple and even though it was unrealistic (places in convient spots, so it wasn't pointlessly big) in how there weren't many empty spots until later in the game (e.g. desert, mountains). FFV is a good example of a world map.

Whilst FFVIII is realistic in a XP game I don't think it'd work Yami.

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
Oh i dunno, i liked FFX's style, what I didn't like, was that I didn't get to drive the ship around...that sucked.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
World maps are something i like alot !
I really dont like linked stuff because you need to walk through everything and that takes alot of time...
I mixed it in my game ^^

Rep:
Level 88
World Map's are hard. I'll make a "Navigator" if I make a game. That way continents are linked together, but then go to a Nav, which branches to other continents. Maybe I could use teleports. And somewhere in all five continents you can teleport to others. I don't know!

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
I've played FFX and I didn't like it. I like the World Map thing more.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
You can do kind of what Fable did. It's all linked but you can teleport anywhere which has a cullis gate :)

Rep:
Level 88
Linked maps make it seem more like an adventure, and you really have to work around things to get there. I mean think about it, when the First Crusade started, the soldiers didn't exactly have a world map to walk on to get there in a few minutes did they? ;8

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
I'm going to have a way-point system in my game a bit like Diablo 2 were you have to have been to the way-point before you can use it and the menu for it will be a world map that gets uncovered as you go along...

that way if you need or want to go back for some reason you can easily without the map giving away whats ahead...

Rep:
Level 88
A linked map

Click the pic!

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
No world map. Look at games like Earthbound and Brainlord, those are GREAT examples of this.

Rep:
Level 88
Earthbound did their map SO well.  If I could link my maps together like that, I would love it.  Maybe I should study how everything works together in that game.

Rep:
Level 96
Dohgames.com has the rom

TURN YOUR SPEAKERS OFF, OR THE POPUPS WILL KILL THEM.

But yeah, it was SUCH an awesome game...

Rep:
Level 88
I don't need the rom :P I have it for snes ^^

Rep:
Level 96
So do I! I got the rom because of PK Hack.

How much did you pay for yours? I got ripped off...FIFTY BUCKS.

Rep:
Level 88
I can't remember.  I wasn't that old and my dad bought it.  He collected NES and SNES games (We have literally dresser drawers full of them.  Hundreds and hundreds).  That was when they were still in stores though :P  So I guess I got it for like 30 dollars.  That's how much they were if I remember right.

Rep:
Level 96
*gasps*

Dresser drawers full?!

OMG...Don't you ever let him sell those...but if he did he would be filthy rich. If he sold each of those cartridges seperately, moreover, AUCTIONED them...he could probably stop working.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
I like this idea, too. And it's very easy to make.
Use a switch for each waypoint. If you reach a way point, turn on the switch. Everything you need is to make a conditional branch that checks the condition of each switch. If it is turned on, make teleportation to to location possible. The only thing is that you need a lot of event code.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
FeeltheAmbienceā„¢
I honestly love the traditional World Map.

It's one of the things I look forward to in RPGs. [I know that's weird.  ;8]

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I think world maps are cliche'd.

Rep:
Level 88
Things become cliche because people like them, and wish to see them.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
But once they become cliche, people become sick of them.

Rep:
Level 88
They sure do!  ;D

Rep:
Level 88
Linked maps can get very realistic, but they may stretch on unnecessarily like real life tends to do. I'd say boh of them have equal merit.

Rep:
Level 88
I decided what I'm gonna do is use a linked map, but you can still pull up a world map to see where you are.  And maybe have a skill where you can use the world map to teleport to places.

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
i like a game that has little maps linked together :) but thats  just what i like :)  :lol:
sometimes my GirlFriend may play with my acccount