RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Giant Dungeon Crawler?

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
Hrmph.
I was playing around with the dungeon generator today on a 500sq. tile map, and some interesting thoughts came through my mind. What do you guys think of making a roguelike or dungeon-crawler type game, with a somewhat shallow plot line, focused more on dungeon raiding and killing than anything else? Just a fun project I've been thinking about.
Currently working on :: The Empire

And check the forums!

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I think dungeon crawlers are fun for like a day, possibly more if it were a modern game, but as far as any kind of retro styled game then not more than a day.

Hrmph.
Any particular reason? What about them either bores you or makes you lose interest?

And check the forums!

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
Fate is the present, not the future.
I've always thought it would be interesting to make an RPG all out dungeon crawler based entirely in a forest. With time passing, and needing to do certain things in order to survive. A giant dungeon crawler could really be interesting if you tried to add that element. Also, when it comes to things like that, it's always fun to add some small redundant thing the player has to do, makes them stay on their toes rather than just running around killing monsters, eventually owning everything in existence. I.E. Etrian Odyssey, have you ever played that game for DS?

Hrmph.
No, I haven't played that but I get what you're saying. I was definitely thinking of adding some roguelike elements to it such as the passage of time, hunger/thirst, that sort of thing.

I started a basic project today, set up a dungeon, got an ABS system working with a few different monsters, that sort of thing. Still just kind of an idea I'm playing around with more than anything else.

And check the forums!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Will it have the old ASCII symbol graphics or are you going for a SNES look? I remember playing a game a while back that you were going into a cave and you needed to find oxygen from plants. It would be cool if it were some kind of everlasting forest, that you were looking for something that's in it somewhere. Eating fruit and making weapons from the bones of your fallen enemies.
ALSO
Rogue
For more ideas.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Hrmph.
Will it have the old ASCII symbol graphics or are you going for a SNES look? I remember playing a game a while back that you were going into a cave and you needed to find oxygen from plants. It would be cool if it were some kind of everlasting forest, that you were looking for something that's in it somewhere. Eating fruit and making weapons from the bones of your fallen enemies.
ALSO
Rogue
For more ideas.

I was probably going to just use the RTP [or maybe find a couple really nice tile sets since they're won't be a whole lot of different maps] for graphics, but use some roguelike elements for gameplay.

And thanks for the link, I've played tons :p I've actually coded a few of my own roguelike games in vb.net before, pretty fun stuff. Complicated as hell, but fun!

And check the forums!

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
Fate is the present, not the future.
Well, if it goes anywhere, I'd be interested to see it turn out. I've always wanted to see a well done, and sized dungeon crawl in RPG Maker.

Hrmph.
Well it's definitely something I'm going to play with. I'll put a section up for it in my forums, which will be linked on my blog in a bit. So if you'd like to help out at all or anything feel free to stop by.

And check the forums!

Rep:
Level 82
I'd think a 500x500 dungeon crawler would break the engine.

People keep talking about Rougue, what about Metroidvania? :-)

Edit: I just tried doing a run of a 500x500 map. It took 2:30 minutes to get from the bottom left to top right running.

Edit again: I just made a 100x100 map random dungeon and dumped 100 NPCs moving with walking animations (not stepping). The result was a noticable slow down. On top of that, I am using KGC_maplightening script.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:23:24 PM by ShortStar »

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
I've been playing games like rogue and dwarf fortress for a while. Good way to blow a good five hours.

And the best thing is that I haven't gotten tired of them.

Rep:
Level 82
Someone on another forum plugged Dwarf's Fortress. I LOVE the idea, but I doubt I could ever get into that game. I could probably remake it though.