RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The power of the Event Editor

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
Guess who's back? Yup, its me with a new gift. Who really needs scripts anyways, I made 80% of my game events and variables. This is a guide to teach you how to make some of the cool stuff I did.

How to make a Music Changer
Many people looked for this script, only to find it only screwed you over even more. Well, here is a way to make it change your music using items.

First make an Item, or skill that you would like to use.

Set the properties you would like it to have, the red boxes mean you must have it. Set consumption to no, Name the common event and choose it.

Then go to the common event and make a variable that will label the track number.

Make a condition that says track 0 will play, or Variable[BGM]=0.
Then Play the song u want.
After put Variable[BGM]=1
Repeat with the variables going up by one each.
At the last track, make the Variable go back to 0.

When you use in game, everytime you use, it will play the next song and loop.

Map Sprite Change
This is pretty useful if you want to make alternative costumes or uniforms to get into some place or something. Ok, make a common event again and the item you want.

You want to make an item, because equipment kinda don't work very well. Make two Items or more, depending on how many costumes, and  default one.

In the common event, make animation, wait and change of graphics. Do the same to change back. If you want a use a switch to allow the change you can(shown in picture).

Now you can not only use it as an item but a Event too. Say you go up the a change room and hit action, then you change clothes.

Menu Short Cuts
This has a little scripting in it, Create a common event and use key press command. Then put in the call script and use any of the fallowing.

Inventory -
Code: [Select]
$scene = Scene_Item.new

Skill menu -
$scene = Scene_Skill.new

Equips -
$scene = Scene_Equip.new

For short cut back to map, insert these for the short cut your using.

Exit shortcut -
   # A ??????????
    if Input.trigger?(Input::A)
      # ????? SE ???
      $game_system.se_play($data_system.cancel_se)
      # ???????????
      $scene = Scene_Map.new
      return
    end

A can be switched to any of RMXPs buttons. Insert that under
 def update_item

or
 def update_right

In Scene_Item, or any other ones. Same goes for the other short cuts. When you press "A" for example, "A" as in RMXP controls. You will instantly be able to enter your inventory. When you press "A" again, you will exit without seeing the menu.

Posting other Event Editor Tricks later...

- -

pokeball zxmOfflineMale
Astronaut Raticate Banana
Rep:
Level 92
Pineapple Line Colour
OMG the Moo is back!

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Thx, Uh yeah. These are mostly for a ABS. I also used events to make a ABS. Next: Short cut keys, pretty easy

- -

Rep:
Level 91
Oo
a mr moo that knows the basics of events :O
i wonder though, how good is your abs?

terms of : def, attack, agi, evasion , dex, str , int (everything effects everything) short and long ranges, melee, both enemies and hero , special hero and monster attacks and moster respawn.

hehe , i am just spamming up...

nice tut, would help people who can't get out of the box on their own
holy shit my sig was big!

You know for the map sprite change...You could have just hit change sprite

Rep:
Level 91
Quote from: Mental

noob he wants the player to be able to control it at will...
 :? so annoying how noobs dare to post nowadays

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
My ABS uses STR, DEX, INT, AGI, ect to determin critical damage, and rate, Normal damage, skill damage, ect. I use status effects for my skills. You can make them pretty useful and it gives a little stratagy to the game.

For Example: Skill [beserk] Adds [X] STR but lowers HP by [X].
In status effects, Make one and have it add your stats, and a downfall. or else there would be no point. say you add a poison effect to it.
Then you can kill someone in 1 hit but still die pretty fast. Add a + to the skill and effect, make it hit yourself. And I have a skill which removes your status effects. So its not about punching the crap out of something.

You have to play around with it to learn how to not beg for scripts all the time. Events are good if you don't like scripting all your items and skills.

- -

Quote from: blueXx

God blue all i said was thats a way easier way to do it.And i can still make them change at will with that

Rep:
Level 91
not as the player noob =\(not with your way anyways..cause it's not even a way)

meh moo well said

You have to play around with it to learn how to not beg for scripts

so if i understand correctly there is a 3rd worthy of being called eventer peson around the forums now.

i'll be waiting to see some of your work.
btw how did you overcome the ranged shooting issue?
i figured sending a new event to run at the line the player launched it at
of course checking x and y is also ok but the problem with that is the blocks around the map and the fact that you won't be able to dodge.

hmm etc ^^
anyways i won't mind having a look at it ;)

My way is super easy blue all you do is hit the 1 button and you change costumes.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
It's a pretty good tut, good job. :D

My way is super easy blue all you do is hit the 1 button and you change costumes.

Which button have you tied it to? Can one change that?

Also how does it work? Does it change between a static range of sprites? Can I dynamically read from a file? Can you specify which file it is?

LOL its tied to the 1 key..Not that one key.
All i do is check if the uniform is in the inventory if it is when the 1 button is changed i hit move event change sprite.
if its not i do nothing.
Its that simple

Rep:
Level 92
All i do is check if the uniform is in the inventory if it is when the 1 button is changed i hit move event change sprite.
if its not i do nothing.
Its that simple

Is it tied to the 1 on my keyboard? Or is it tied to Button 1?
If it's Button 1: How do you detect changes to the button?

Also what if you want to take of the uniform?

Ok as i said...
Its a conditional branch.If there is no item it does nothing its simple. Its in a common event i go to the right angle of EVERYSINGLE MAP in the game and hit PP.It is tied to the button 1.#1 uno.
if i wanted to take off the uniform..simple hit 1 again.
As soon as you hit 1 it adds a variable. once its at 2. And you hit 1 again it goes back to 1 and the uniform is taken off.

Rep:
Level 92
I'll try tell you what you did wrong:
First I'll start with the 5 quotes to which I will be referring.

==========Mental's quotes begin=========
Quote from: Mental-2
Quote from: Mental-1

God blue all i said was thats a way easier way to do it.And i can still make them change at will with that

Quote from: Mental-3

Quote from: Mental-4
if its not i do nothing.
Its that simple

Quote from: Mental-5
Ok as i said...
Its a conditional branch.If there is no item it does nothing its simple. Its in a common event i go to the right angle of EVERYSINGLE MAP in the game and hit PP.It is tied to the button 1.#1 uno.
if i wanted to take off the uniform..simple hit 1 again.
As soon as you hit 1 it adds a variable. once its at 2. And you hit 1 again it goes back to 1 and the uniform is taken off.

===========Mental's quotes end==========

If you look at quote 1 you say that one should use the change sprite. This is a function only the editor can use, not the player.
Now look at quotes 2-3. You use 1 button when using the above mentioned way. The player however can't do it that way. Therefore it is wrong. Later one finds out that this is not what you meant and the way you talked about was not referring to your previous posts thus making the reference weird and the sentence out of context.

Quote 4-5:
Finally you tell us your way. This must have been what you meant in quote 3 or you truly are stupid.
You start with a conditional branch checking whether or not you are possessing the item. 1 button (Only counting event commands buttons). Next you make another conditional branch check if you are pressing the correct buttons. 2 buttons. Then another branch check a variable

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Let me quote the most important you said here about mental, Zeriab.

Quote from: Zeriab
You may not say that I haven't at all understood what you wrote. This may be right, why? Because it's hard to extract information from the unstructured mess you have provided.
If one read what you write without trying to guess what you really mean it won't make sense.
Contradictions occur and the typos as well as the structure is hard on the eyes. It's not nice reading your text.
My advice is that you train your writing English.
This is not the first time, mental can
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!