RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] Music Theory Class Final Project Halp?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I can do basically anything that I'm told to do, but I want to make it so it doesn't sound like butts. If anyone has any idea for a melody line, chord progression, or anything, I'd be happy to take it. ;-; I might not completely go with it, but any donations in this manner would be helpfull...

It really sucks because, literally, any time that my brain starts making something even half-decent up, I'm in a situation where I can't record anything. I'm either walking to my next class, right about to sleep, or some other stupid stuff. >:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:52:27 AM by irock »

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Buy a notebook, small enough to put in your pocket.
Always have it on you.
When you get an idea at an inopportune time, write it down.
Work on it later.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
But I don't have perfect pitch. ._. I mean, I could figure out the intervals between notes and stuff, but I'm not always 100% sure, I can't always get the rhythm down exactly as I want, and XP

Rep:
Level 96
Well, you'll get better at that with time. You should be building those skills anyway if you want to be a serious musician, at all.
And who knows, maybe it'll end up different from what you originally had in mind, and it will be even BETTER.

I don't usually jot my ideas down in perfect pitch, either. (Because I don't have perfect pitch. I'm CLOSE, in that I kind of always know what C sounds like, but that's is; not perfect. And usually a little flat.)
So, I either ASSUME I'm in the key of C in my head, and then just write down note names like C D E F# E D G, or I do it with scale degrees, like 1 2 3 #4 3 2 5.

And there's shorthand you can learn for notating rhythm. I usually just write the stems and beams, and leave out note heads.

So my notes look like this:
C D E  F# G F# E  D G C
|  |-|  | = | = | = |   |-|  |

Or at least that's the best I can do typing it in.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:51:36 PM by Arlen »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Hmmm okay, then. We'll see. P:

Rep:
Level 96
Lol, yeah, at least give it a try. Couldn't hurt, right?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
wtf is this    P:    lol - you use it whenever a :P should have been used and you just started using it

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
It's because I used to go on meebo to use MSN (my computer, for whatever reason, will not let me connect using an MSN messenger...) and meebo made :P into a smiley which was hideous, imo. So P: kinda serves the same effect.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Okay, so I decided to work on it at school, and it just ended up working out like that, I guess. So, if anybody could help me think of any way to spice up the treble clef/right hand melody, that'd be cool. Here it is; it's only a few measures because we only need 16 measures:

Spoiler for:

Here's the link if you, like me, have this image become too big that you can't see parts and it's not scrollable...
http://i47.tinypic.com/a4odb9.png
PLEASE tell me if you see any rules I broke regarding parallel 5ths/octaves/other stuff (if that's even possible when doing melody and accompaniment... I'm only used to writing homophonic stuff).

Chordal Analysis should be:

i   iv   ii°6   ii° - V7   x2
and then I modulate to the relative major key for:
IVmaj7/V     V     ii - V    vi
IVmaj7/V     V     ii - V    I

Hope that extra stuff I put in will make someone help me more because I did the work of giving the chords. ;-; I really didn't want to end so stupidly on an authentic cadence, but I needed one in there because that was part of the rubric. ;9

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Nobody wants to help me here? ;9

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
i would, if i knew anything about this. i don't know anything about this, hence my off-topic responses here :)

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
RMRK Junior
I know this topic is probably done and over with, but I decided to analyze it anyways. First off, great job! It sounds awesome. I too am used to am not used to writing this style of music. As far as I noticed there weren't any parallelisms and I don't think you can with the way your piece is layed out. Because you only have a Soprano and a Bass line your chances of it are very slim, plus you had opposite movements most of the time. The arp. bass was nice in displaying the overall chord though, made it easier to not only analyze, but to hear it in a way that wasn't conflicting and actually complemented the melody. My only concern was that I personally couldn't figure out where you modulated. I thought I heard a modulation in the last phrase before the end, but I couldn't see it with what you described. It's a nice piece and I hope you got a good grade for it.