RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED] Dictionary/Lexicon Script [VX]

Rep:
Level 82
Dictionary/Lexicon
11 June 2011

Summary
I realised that I have neither the time nor the "proper" skill to do this, although I've tried and came up with some interesting results. Anyway, it's a script where a lexicon of words and their definitions can be viewed from the Status Menu, viewable like an interactive dictionary. When new words and their definitions are added to the list they can be cycled through and viewed, but they won't be available in the dictionary unless they've already been seen. Generally, all new words will be added to the dictionary manually.

Features Desired
  • Add words and definitions
  • Dictionary window where words and definitions can be viewed
  • Delete words (maybe)

Mockups
I don't think any are really needed, but left-hand side the words and right-hand side their definitions.

Games its been in
Don't think this has been in any games (none I've come across).

What other scripts are you using?
None that would necessarily interfere, since this doesn't really need to alias or mod any menu scripts (I can integrate it into the Menu/Submenu system I have in place).

Did you search?
Yes, extensively.

Where did you search?
  • Google
  • Most of the forums I know of, including RMRK

What did you search for?
  • Lexicon Script
  • Dictionary Script
  • Dictionary add_word
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:13:29 AM by CompanionWulf »
Current Projects:
* Ars Mechanicum 1: Genesis (RMVX)
* The Gladiator Project (RMXP)

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Is this script request for VX or XP? Your title screams XP but you put it in the VX Script Request section, so I'm not quite sure.

Rep:
Level 82
Is this script request for VX or XP? Your title screams XP but you put it in the VX Script Request section, so I'm not quite sure.

OMG, so it is! Either one. Originally I was thinking that it'd be specifically for VX, hence putting it in the VX Request, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to port it to XP as necessary. Modified the title accordingly. (I've been off sick, so got the wrong head on my shoulders.)
Current Projects:

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
It certainly wouldn't be a difficult script to write by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm afraid it would be really ugly if that's all it is. By that I simply mean there would be a lot of empty space if all it was were the words on one side and a little definition on the right. Are you sure there aren't other features you would want? Like pictures, or even little graphical flourishes that put the word in a box or anything like that?

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
MA's just trying to show off :mad:
But yeah, it would be pretty easy. I actually whipped up the windows required to make this script in about 4 minutes. The annoying part (for me at least) would be the data meddling to do that. Basically what you're asking for, even if you don't know it, is a modified inventory screen that displays different things. Personally I think it'd look better if you had a window at the bottom (like the skill screen) in which you select the word, and a window above that that displays the definition.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 84
Excuse my lack of basic scripting, but couldn't you just use a bestiary?

Rep:
Level 82
Previous post here deleted.

Pacman hit on something with the items/skills template so I went as far as I could go with that. I commissioned someone to complete this script, since I simply don't have the time or proper skill. And opted for simplicity over aesthetics because it fit the game better. That's what I wanted in the first instance and the "flourishes" can be added later.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:19:45 AM by CompanionWulf »
Current Projects: