RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
decline of enterbrain products

FURRY 4 LIFE. Here kitty kitty kitty....
Rep:
Level 87
is it just me or is the event system getting worse and worse with each new version of RM?
i used to be able to do just about anything i wanted but now it seems i can't do anything instead of adding more events and making the events themselves more complex they seem to be making less events and making the events simpler and able to do less i mean seriously wtf is wrong with this company that they would do something that stupid? i just tested RMVX today and while there are some improvements there are like 6 or more events missing that were in RMXP

so i have come to the conclusion that either i am crazy or the people who make these programs are total idiots
"screaming out the mating call. i've become the lord of love"

caramelldansen forever!

Rep:
Level 87
I tend to agree... However:

The point of an RPGmaker is to allow those who wouldn't be able to create a game to make a fully-functional RPG, with no prior knowledge. The systems may be getting dumbed down due to the fact that many people are still confused by the maker. The audiences for these sorts of things are generally not the brightest bunch. To appeal to the crowd Enterbrain makes the programs simpler. If you want the 'full' amount of creative liberty and freedom in design, go make it in C++ or something... The business plan isn't the best for the people here that know what they're doing, as the maker still has its benefits to the competents. I really don't want to go through all the trouble of graphics engines and handlers in an actual language... Just stick to the old RPGmakers...
When Wombats Strike!
WombatRPGs - RPG design and Discussion
-And Team Olympus beta test now open!

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
The audiences for these sorts of things are generally not the brightest bunch.

:mad: What's that supposed to mean?

:lol:

Rep:
Level 87
glad to see someone agrees but where does that leave me? the moderately intelligent but not overly so person who enjoys expressing artistic passion through writing interactive graphic novels? scripting does not click with my brain i take one look at that stuff and i need to close the window so i normally would make my game with creative events but now i can't even get through one map without needing to get a script to re write the program and make it equal to what it used to be? i should really be telling enterbrain this

caramelldansen forever!

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
If you cannot script, don't complain about limited functionality with events. =\
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 86
Brits, or gtfo.
If you cannot script, don't complain about limited functionality with events. =\

Hear hear. There are plenty of things you can do with the event system if you know how.
why are you looking down here srsly i mean, my post is up there.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Agreed, Most of the time you can do something by getting very creative with events. Scripts aren't the answer to everything.

Rep:
Level 87
Agree with that... Using RM2K, there's no access to scripting, yet it's' fun to work around the restrictions to make more complex events. Although it does involve having to reinvent the wheel when dealing with arrays... And I still can't pull recursion.
When Wombats Strike!
WombatRPGs - RPG design and Discussion
-And Team Olympus beta test now open!

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
All this talk of eventing is starting to make me miss using RM. Maybe I'll start up work on soul refrian complete.... Only maybe.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
What Enterbrain should do, instead of trying to "simplify" RM, is distribute the programs with a beginner mode by default, and an advanced one that can be enabled or disabled at any time.  So that when the user is ready for more complicated tasks and wants to make the game more unique and detailed, they can still do it just the way they want.

Beginner mode: less options,  basic features and functions.

Advanced mode: more options, more advanced features and functions.  Duh?

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
That would be pretty bad ass.

Rep:
Level 86
Brits, or gtfo.
It would indeed. But, then again, that would make us have to wait longer for the next program. >:

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I don't think it would add that much time to do that. Maybe like a weeks delay?

Rep:
Level 86
Brits, or gtfo.
Yes, but I'm impatient.

Rep:
Level 87
i doubt it. if it only took them a week to finish the program, then they would likely just release them both at the same time.

caramelldansen forever!

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I meant a week to add that kind of option to one program.

Rep:
Level 86
Brits, or gtfo.
Yes, but adding translation of top of that, how long would that take?

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
No extra translation, really.  It's just that beginner mode would hide some advanced features when it's on.  And if you enable advanced mode, the advanced stuff shows up in the interface.  :)

Rep:
Level 86
Brits, or gtfo.
Ahh, I c wat u did thar. =P

Rep:
Level 85
What Enterbrain should do, instead of trying to "simplify" RM, is distribute the programs with a beginner mode by default, and an advanced one that can be enabled or disabled at any time.  So that when the user is ready for more complicated tasks and wants to make the game more unique and detailed, they can still do it just the way they want.

Beginner mode: less options,  basic features and functions.

Advanced mode: more options, more advanced features and functions.  Duh?

I agree as well. They should have for new people to get to know the program better. Thats testing programs is all about.
"If you build it, they will play it"

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
rpgmaker should introduce more flexible systems. They keep dictating what should be done and how it shouldnt be done.

After each release (xp and vx) the first few major scripts released either disabled annoying features or added missing ones. They need proper testing by a panel of game developers that actually make rpgs for the DS/GBA these are of similar systems and could give a wealth of ideas about wtf to do

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
As I do more and more in RMXP, I find myself creating very complex events, with bunches of conditional branching.  I also end up with maps with all sorts of events on them, and re-using that map in a further segment of the game starts to become more problematic.  Personally, I'd love to be able to call and delete dynamic events, based on the current situation.  I know the common event sort of handles this, but to me doesn't seem dynamic enough.  Script access to creating/deleting events would be tremendously helpful, IMO...

One this I really dislike about the event manager is the tedium to put in a event, and then to edit the event.  If I double click a blank event line, let me enter one.  If I double click a line that already has an event, let me edit it.  The whole right click bugs me.  Then doing a move route sometimes, is click, enter a value, click, enter a value, over and over again.  I'd actually prefer just to type in the event commands... If only it was possible.

Rep:
Level 86
I agree with the originator of this thread.

Having tried out VX today, I am sorely disappointed. It's dumbed down way of doing things makes making a simple game easy, but a complex and appealing game a pain, to me at least. But maybe I am looking at it the wrong way...

Here are a few thoughts on it...

What I like about VX..
It's Quick Event system for making doors, inns, and treasure boxes is great.
An all inclusive tile system that seems to allow for multiple layering.
The event screen is more clearly laid out (not that I had trouble with it before.).

What I do not like about VX...
It's tile system seem to lack certain things found in older versions, such as detail, and choices. To me the basic default tile sets for the older rpg makers had more choices, and detail.

What happened to some of the weather effects such as fog? Got to event those again?

It's over simplicity has taken out several functions from the database that make adding detail to the game or changing default anything to the game very cumbersome.

I think I will just stick with XP for my game making fun....

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
the eventing system is not at fault here, it gives people a nice opening into how programming works. even if it teaches bad habbits. they learn and understand varibles and switches and conditionals. these basic structures make the leap into code much easier.

Rep:
Level 85
i liek muscle studyz
We have 5 versions of RM out there and Enterbrain is probably running out of ideas.
The making of a concept artist > bleh