RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
OUYA

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

holy shit, this looks cool.

A completely open, Android-powered console.  Some pretty nice hardware too.
Oh, and they met their funding goal in like 8 hours.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

pokeball TDSOffline
Rep:
Level 84
-T D S-
Silver - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - Game In A Week VII
Looks pretty good, and the backing seems to confirm that people want a console they can develop games for without having to pay thousands of dollars and be subjected to delays and headaches due to not using a preferred term for a button.

Either that or people really want 99$ emulator.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
PC + HDMI + TV

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
I don't know about this, seems like a waste of money; as TDS said, it's just a $99 emulator for a mobile gaming device that isn't very powerful.

I guess it's reedeming factor is that it's hackable, so with the right community it could become something really cool, much like how the Dolphin Emulator sucked until it went open source.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
I'm dumb and was under the inclination that all it could do was play Android games. My favourite part about this is that it encourages hackers to have a platform they can tinker with.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
You can't be under an inclination. You can have one, but can't be under it.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Yeah, inclinations are bolted to the floor :mad:

Rep:
Level 94
Also it doesn't mean what the context of your sentence implies that it does. It means a bias; a tendency, not an impression.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
It'll be shit unless it attracts enough developers. For now its library is limited to poo and more poopoo. The Android marketplace ain't so hot - especially when it comes to games you'd want to play on a TV with a controller. So yeah, my guess would be that it won't be very good. I could be wrong, though. It'd be nice/interesting if I was.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
It reminds me of the noise that ganondorf makes when he throws a lightball at you.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
It'll be shit unless it attracts enough developers. For now its library is limited to poo and more poopoo. The Android marketplace ain't so hot - especially when it comes to games you'd want to play on a TV with a controller. So yeah, my guess would be that it won't be very good. I could be wrong, though. It'd be nice/interesting if I was.
I don't think it's for standard Android games, it's just using it so they don't have to roll out their own full blown OS. At least, that's what I'm assuming.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Well, I'd say a lot of people want this based on it being 2 days in and they have over 3 times what OUYA asked for... sooo...

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
I don't think it's for standard Android games, it's just using it so they don't have to roll out their own full blown OS. At least, that's what I'm assuming.
Nothing you just said contradicts what I said, brother.

pokeball TDSOffline
Rep:
Level 84
-T D S-
Silver - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - Game In A Week VII
Emulator?

What I meant was more along the lines of a emulator box rather than a phone emulator like this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TRRh39onYM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TRRh39onYM</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcy4I5IcnpU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcy4I5IcnpU</a>

In theory with the specs of the OUYA you could also emulate PS2 games as well, which means that you could have a lot of emulators in one console for a very low price and far simpler than a computer. And also the possibility of making controllers of consoles work for it too.

Rep:
Level 102
Nothing you just said contradicts what I said, brother.
I don't understand why you'd bring up the Android marketplace when it's nothing but mobile games that this console probably doesn't even support.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
That's all it would have in its library unless enough developers started making good games for it. Did you not notice how all the games on the dashboard are existing Android games? I'm going to go ahead and guess the effort it takes to get a pre-existing Android game up and running on this hardware is about ummm zero. I mean, the dashboard is just a mockup, but the lady said the game's got Minecraft and whatever. The Canabalt dev was there to say his game is on the system too.

I don't see many developers jumping on board, really. That's my guess. People have already started abandoning Android as a platform. For developers to be attracted to this device, a bunch of people are going to have to jump on board and show they're willing to pay for these games (solely through microtransactions, by the looks of things). I can't see all that many people buying a $100 device that will probably be (or seem to be) limited to Newgrounds/Kongregate/XBLAI-tier games. Cos if these niggas were putting any reasonable amount of effort into their games, they'd probably want them on XBLA/PSN/Steam/WiiUWare???
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:25:00 AM by chewey »

Rep:
Level 102
Most Android games won't work considering they're touch controlled. They'd have to add in support for Ouya or at least for game controllers. If you can go into the Android marketplace and download whatever mobile game you want, that's a big design flaw. They can't be that stupid, can they?

You're right that sales are gonna dictate whether or not this thing gets supported by developers. I probably won't buy one unless one day I make a game that I want to put on it. I also don't expect this thing to get any exclusives.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Oh, I'm just assuming most devs are going to slap on controller support for their existing games before doing any real work on new games. I'll make a million dollar bet with ya right now that pretty much all games on the system at launch will be ports of existing games. I bet there'll be like one game specifically made for the system. It'll be like their Wii Sports.