RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Onlive Demonstration (48 mins)

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Oh my god that's so cool.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
i'm glad we got a better explanation. I saw several videos talking about it and it sounded impossible. good to know it's not =o

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
... was he just playing that on an iphone? That's amazing. O_o
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
This is less real than Stencyl.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I guess we'll see in a few months lol

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I guess we'll see in a few months lol
They said that about Stencyl, like, two years ago.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Except this is actually public, more so than stencyl ever was/is.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Stencyl is in closed beta. The chance of Stencyl being released is ten times greater than this.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Um, this has a huge chance of being released. This is done by a corporate entity, so announcing the release of something they're not going to finish is highly un-professional, if that were the case. The men working on this are professionals, as opposed to hobbyists who are making a single program. Also note that what they're doing is setting up a highly-effective and highly-accessible network... essentially.

And it works. They showed it working. On a laptop AND an iphone. Not to mention that they've already purchased "cloud" so to speak, all over the nation. No company would do that unless they knew their product worked. To say this won't come out is ridiculous.

All they need to do now is finish some picky stuff, and then publicize, which they're already doing.

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
's not gonna work.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I'd say it works pretty good via the demo in the video.  I just don't know how well it'll work once it's released. I don't know if there servers could really handle it. It works well with the few hundred beta testers they have right now but when it's release and caught on, I don't know if hundreds of thousands of players or maybe even millions of players would work that well. We'll see.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
no way in hell will they be able to stream new releases in under 80 miliseconds, you're gonna have to have a HUGE upload and download to get anything from this, that demo doesn't mean shit, he's probably in the same room with the box running the game, it's a moot point because he's on lan

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
He said that with wireless it'd be slower. He is using lan because it's faster (duh). And although he didn't say what all was happening, he said that there's software you need to download to use it that downloads and uploads the algorithm they designed. Obviously no compression algorithm you know can do what he's talking about. So no, it's not no way in hell. Stop acting like your a god damn cave man.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
The box running the game was in Virginia, while he was at a college ~75 miles away. He didnt run the game on iPhone either, he just watched a stream of someone playing.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
There's an app for that :V

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
The box running the game was in Virginia, while he was at a college ~75 miles away. He didnt run the game on iPhone either, he just watched a stream of someone playing.

No, there was a part when he used the laptop to look at his friends list, it showed an account with iphone or something in the name. It was the account that the iphone he passed around was using.  He was streaming the iphone player on the laptop.

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
I've always been skeptical about how well this will work. Will have to see it myself in order to make any sort of assumption.

I'm taking a pretty big guess to see that cloud gaming will eventually become the new standard.

Edit: One thing I'm not sure if they have is a variety of available screen resolutions. That wouldn't be good for those who don't use a 16:9 monitor.

He played it on the iPhone. What were you watching?

Stencyl is in closed beta. The chance of Stencyl being released is ten times greater than this.
;]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:15:28 PM by Irock »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
He was playing on the iPhone but the response was much slower than LAN. He was also running on WiFi (if I remember correctly) and not 3G so at some point, if he were on just the 3G network and not even WiFi, I would imagine that it's even balls slower. I suppose the point is that you could play with the iPhone or other mobile devices but the plan would just to spectate or to show off some video clips or something.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
He was playing on the iPhone but the response was much slower than LAN. He was also running on WiFi (if I remember correctly) and not 3G so at some point, if he were on just the 3G network and not even WiFi, I would imagine that it's even balls slower. I suppose the point is that you could play with the iPhone or other mobile devices but the plan would just to spectate or to show off some video clips or something.
He said it would be extremely slow over a cellular network, you dingshit.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Nooooo I don't have a perfect memory anymore ;9

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
I couldn't watch all of it, it had a weird bug where the audio would start and continue to play even if paused, and there was a slight delay from the actual video's audio. o.O

Anyhow, my $0.02 is that it's going to look bad to at least 1/3 of the people using it, it's going to have a noticeable delay and it's going to be more expensive in the end than just buying a good video card. And I'd like to reiterate that I haven't seen the video in full since the dual audio/delay kind of makes it hard to know what's going on...
Also, it seems like it'd be hard to judge the delay in the demonstration since the computer is facing him, so can you really see what he's doing and when it registers? The delay between the pc and the projector would also have to be taken into account, but it can't be that noticeable, if there is one at all.

The best thing about this, however, is that if you're traveling with like a laptop or something, you could easily play all sorts of games.
Oh, and iphone/ipod touch. That shit is just whack. If you can actually pull that off, and enjoy playing it at whatever the delay is, it would make it worth it. Provided that the controls are good, though.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
There's no noticeable delay. 80 milliseconds+ appears to your perspective to be a delay. His company developed a compression algorithm that compresses each frame of action so fast and so small of filesize that in the amount of time it takes for the user to send data, compress it, retrieve new information, and uncompress it is less than 80 milliseconds. You should really watch the whole video.

He did play it on an iPhone but through WiFi, the connection is slower and so there is a slight delay in action. It'd be worse if it were on a 3G network. (He assumes that the direction the cell phones are going, their networks will be fast enough soon.)

Use a different browser, there is no such error in the video, so it must be on your end - but it happens from time to time.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
80ms at best. Approaching and in almost every single real world case surpassing, 100ms, probably 150ms.

150ms is "feelable" in an online game, particularly a shooter. But there's another downside.

In a normal situation, where you are running the game on your own computer and have 150ms lag, it's ONLY the results of your actions that are lagged. You shoot a bullet, it's 150ms+ before that bullet actually hits its target. However, your screen, what you hear, the response to your control input, all of these are (perceptibly) instant. It's possible to notice just the 10ms~ display lag of an LCD when put next to a CRT, and that's less than 10 times as much.
bringing sexy back